Author Topic: Camera  (Read 46814 times)

Onkel Otto

• View Profile
Re: Camera
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2022, 05:38:04 pm »
I have the impression, that my post #147 caused some wrong emotions.

It was definitively not my intention to complain about any GCam dependencies. I did not know that GCam depends on the Google Play Services. I just wanted to inform other people about this "finding". Because I think, that I am not the only one, who replaced Google Play Services with microG. And when the "microG Services Core" app can disappear on my Cosmo for unknown reasons, it can happen on other devices too. It took me 2 or 3 hours to find the solution.
I thought, my finding may be helpful for somebody sometimes and save him or her some time.

@shuntcap
I really appreciate your GCam mod. Thank you very much, that you provided it.
It was not my intention to blame you for not removing the GCam dependencies.
I am really sorry, if my post caused this wrong impression and want to apologize.

Onkel Otto

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2022, 11:15:23 am »
@Onkel Otto: As one of the two who replied to your post, I don't think either of us felt you were complaining. You shared some knowledge. I tried to add some details for clarification and shuntcap corrected a detail I got wrong, just as a forum is supposed to work, if you ask me. Thank you for being a contributing member.

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2022, 03:56:44 am »
I have the impression, that my post #147 caused some wrong emotions.
No need to apologize; I never took it the wrong way.  I'm a software engineer and you provided useful and interesting feedback.  Thanks!  That's one way we engineers improve our products... although in this case, I don't plan to do any more work on GCam for the Cosmo.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2022, 01:52:42 pm »
shuntcap -- can you publish the sources? Without the sources, we/I can't adapt GCam for Lineage or stock for Astro, Cosmo, Gemini. Otherwise we'd have to start again.

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2022, 12:08:42 am »
shuntcap -- can you publish the sources? Without the sources, we/I can't adapt GCam for Lineage or stock for Astro, Cosmo, Gemini. Otherwise we'd have to start again.
I'll think about it.  I never release code for public consumption (paid or free) without thoroughly documenting and cleaning the code and build process, and that's what I have to think about here.  It's not exactly easy code to read, as it is entirely reverse-engineered, disassembled, undocumented assembly language (or the Java VM equivalent thereof), except for my own modifications which are documented.

By the way, it can't be ported to the Gemini as the image sensor cannot output raw data.  I tried.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2022, 04:21:51 pm »
You don't necessarily need to clean up before publishing - if anything, commits going forward publicly show the evolution of the code quality, and that's what I'd personally want to see. Oh, bytecode? I did some Googling, looks like Camera2 API is what we need?

OK about Gemini. Sucks. I think publishing regardless before it's ready isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at CoDiOS and codid - both nowhere near ready, but still being committed and it's nice to see the evolution...