Author Topic: Flickering Screen ON New Cosmo  (Read 3785 times)

Alexis80

• View Profile
Flickering Screen ON New Cosmo
« on: November 27, 2021, 10:18:25 am »
Good mornin, writing from italy and new buyer of cosmo, i've notice tha randomly, during the normal use the screen have some glitch or flickering. Have you ever had this problem. Beacuse i think is an hardware problem

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Flickering Screen ON New Cosmo
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 12:58:18 am »
Hi,

Welcome to the Cosmo club....

Sorry to hear you have screen problem.

I have not had this problem on my Cosmo that I have had for 1.5 years or so.

I would contact Planet Computer and report the problem and ask for their support.

Did you buy this as new Cosmo or used one?

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:08:39 am »
Hi and welcome to the sometimes quirky world of the Planet Computers devices.

On low brightness settings, I have noticed, especially in a particular text editor, that my screen backlight brightness occasionally varies a little bit up and down, in step with the flashing of the cursor. In a wider context, that makes me believe that the exact level of brightness sometimes depends a bit on what, precisely, the Cosmo is doing at the moment.

To be clear, I wouldn't call phenomenon I sometimes observe flickering; it is more of a cyclic slight increase and decrease in backlight intensity, in pace with the cursor, and, for me, it only happens under certain circumstances.

If your screen is actually flickering, regardless of your brightness setting, what app(s) you are using, the battery charge level, how intensely the CPU is working etc, I would suspect a bad connection somewhere, which might require a repair under warranty.

Alexis80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:01:50 am »
Thanks fo your answer, it's not so corrct to call flieckering, it's like a glitch on the screen tha happend during scroll or intense load of cpu, in my opinion it's not an hardware problem  it sound like software problem,  related to the android system webview app,  running in android.  like a video driver problem.

MarcHover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 04:57:51 pm »
I do have the same issue, for me it helps to turn of the hardware overlays in the developer settings. sadly this setting is gone after reboot. So i have a tasker task running at startup.
But i have to say that this could likely be a Hardware issue do to a failing GPU or CPU but at least the setting "fixed" it.

Onkel Otto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 08:06:26 pm »
Hi Alexis80,

I had the same issue with my Cosmo.
After several emails I could convince the Planet Support, that this is a warranty case. The repair did not cost me something. Just the shipping to UK did cost me money.
But the really bad experience was, that the repair took almost 10 month.
Because I shipped the Cosmo in February 2020. Planet told me, they have to wait for spare parts. In March 2020 we got the Covid lock down in Europe. Finally I got my Cosmo back in October 2020. 

Shit happens - said Forrest Gump.  :'(

Since that time I use the Cosmo every day. It is working reliably enough for me to be used daily. In summary I am happy with it.