Author Topic: Keyboard layout doesnt fit  (Read 2950 times)

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Keyboard layout doesnt fit
« on: December 23, 2022, 04:34:11 pm »
Hi there

got my astro with qwertz german KB layout. But allthough I double checked the settings the z and y is switched and several Fn combos dont work.

Any ideas?

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Keyboard layout doesnt fit
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 07:16:29 pm »
Hi there

got my astro with qwertz german KB layout. But allthough I double checked the settings the z and y is switched and several Fn combos dont work.

Any ideas?

you can install the keyboard alpha edition and try to change this.
Please see Astro Slide Campaign - Week 129 Update

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer/x/17816695#/updates/all

Below is the simple description and the link for download.

From the above link there are also photos.

Keyboard Editor - alpha version now available!

Amazing news!

Today we are releasing the alpha version of the keyboard editor.

We know this is a much sought after feature and we are delighted that we can finally make it available.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE ONLY INSTALL THE KEYBOARD EDITOR ALPHA APK ON THE ASTRO!
DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL IT ON THE GEMINI PDA OR THE COSMO COMMUNICATOR.

The Keyboard (with editor) APK is now available for download from the following link:

https://planetcom.co.uk/keyboard_ed_alpha.apk

Around 600 Astros are now with their backers. If you already have your Astro perk, we hope that you will enjoy this new functionality.

Here is a brief guide on where to go and what to do when you have installed the new keyboard app.

This apk file replaces the current Planet Keyboard app on the Astro

Good Luck !
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:04:46 am by cam1965 »

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 09:37:36 am »
Hi Cam1965

Thanks for pointing me to the KB editing tool. It installed nicely. But when I chose: "configure user defined keyboard mapping" in the astro kb tool, it shows a mapping which is perfectly right for my language setting and my KB.

BUT: especially the fn key does not work as fixed in the KB mapping.

P.E.: Fn + ? should give @, but it just gives a '
shift + 2 gives the @, but should give the "

and so on ...

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 01:54:43 pm »
Hi Cam1965

Thanks for pointing me to the KB editing tool. It installed nicely. But when I chose: "configure user defined keyboard mapping" in the astro kb tool, it shows a mapping which is perfectly right for my language setting and my KB.

BUT: especially the fn key does not work as fixed in the KB mapping.

P.E.: Fn + ? should give @, but it just gives a '
shift + 2 gives the @, but should give the "

and so on ...

In configuration of the keyboard you can chose querty or quertz keyboard. Mine is in portuguese ( I am from Brazil ). Plese see the photos.
First select aparência e layouts.( appearance and layouts ) Then you can  chose  Estilos Personalizados (custom styles )  and aftter this you can chose querty or quertz. You probably has the wrong sets here.Note : I  have translated , so I do not know if the texts are the same, so please see the photos. ( please see in landscape mode , it is better )

The keyboard commonly used in Germany is the QWERTZ keyboard. The main difference with a Qwerty keyboard is that the Y and the Z are swapped. Another great detail about the keyboard is that the Qwertz keyboard has the letters ö, ü, ä and ß on it.

Good Luck.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 02:49:23 pm by cam1965 »

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 08:55:06 pm »
Thanks again for your advice. I doublecked    it is qwertz DE setting, but te KB can not be convinced to behave accordinglz ...sigh

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 05:49:44 am »
Thanks again for your advice. I doublecked    it is qwertz DE setting, but te KB can not be convinced to behave accordinglz ...sigh

I realy don' t know. But because  the Y and the  Z keys are swapped , you can try selecting QWERTY and see what will happen.
You can also contact another people in indiegogo with german quertz keyboard and ask them if they have the same problem. ( I paste the post of 4 people here at the end )
Or you can do in last case a full reset.
Good Luck!

From Indiegogo

Mith 4 days ago
@Tom Sch: Here in Germany I got an e-mail from Idiegogo “Indiegogo shipment for Astro Slide 5G Transformer is on its way!” with UPS tracking number. Three days later the Astro arrived. I had to pay additional EUR 33,28. Make sure to have the money money in the form of cash ready, UPS delivery people (at least here on the village) do not accept EC or credit cards.

Dirk Hüwe 8 days ago
Hi! Just received my phone. Contribution ID: 157x, contribution date: March 2020. German keyboard layout. Working fine so far. Android 11, security path Nov 1st 2021. Shipping via UPS was a catastrophe … I get used to that with UPS.

Wolfgang von Jan 11 days ago
@Christian Gaida and others. My Astro (German) has a much better built than the cosmo that has a much better keyboard than my Gemini. Also the space bar works much better than both other ones together. Only the lightning of the keyboard is not so uniformly on the upper outer sides but that is criticism on a very high level.

Christian Gaida 11 days ago
@Marcel I can confirm that. The keyboard is just not good, not even close. The space bar barely has a pressure point and the return key has none at all. The rest of the keys almost all have a different pressure point. I can’t imagine that the two previous models also had such a bad keyboard. My device has a German keyboard by the way. On the right side, this little plastic strip to the right of the keys is also loose. So the build quality is not outstanding either. All in all not very impressive

« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 06:17:23 am by cam1965 »

wovoja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 02:58:21 pm »
@LinuxGuy, as a German I use my Astro since August with German Language and also with the German keyboard (two separate settings). The keyboard layout is quite ok as printed on the keys for shift as for Fn.
I woud try to switch to another Language (Einstellungen, Suche again "German") and then to the right keyboard: Einstellungen, nach "Tastatur" suchen).
And when that does not work I would factory reset the Astro. There in August on my Astro was asekd for both and worked since then.
Success with your Astro and please inform us when Linux is usable...

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 09:59:11 am »
Hi Wovoja,

Thanks a lot for your input. Unfortunately, it still doesnt work.I will have to do a hard reset and will report back.

Anyone nows how to do a hard reset with the Astro?

Thanks in advance - and: happy new year!

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 01:36:22 pm »
Well, finally I did a hard reset and everything worked out nicely!
Thanks to al!

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 03:27:37 pm »
Now the same thing happened to my Astro. After several days without keyboard trouble, all of a sudden, it started to ignore any configured keyboard layout for the hardware keyboard. Apparently, it uses some minimal key layout tablewhich looks like English US (shift+3 is number sign) and only has non-character mappings (such as brightness control) for FN.

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 06:49:04 am »
Looks like the selection of "Android keyboard" vs. "Gemini keyboard" for integrated keyboard idoesn't take effect and the Android always uses its own keyboard. I don't remember whether it was "Astro keyboard" or "Gemini keyboard" before installing the alpha version of Planet Keyboard. (Installing that update didn't make any difference for the problem at hand.)

I guess Planet's keyboard implementation no longer can be loaded or activated and Android falls back to Android keyboard.

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 02:07:29 pm »
The problem is caused by enabling "Magnification shortcut" in the Accessibility settings! Disabling magnification makes the keyboard work again.