Author Topic: google search bar on home screen  (Read 2115 times)

wilkes

• View Profile
google search bar on home screen
« on: December 24, 2022, 12:10:11 am »
Is the Google search bar on the home screen a permanent feature?  I haven't found a way to remove it.
wilkes
--
Cosmo Commuicator w/ cracked screen :(
Astro Slide

Neophy

• View Profile
Re: google search bar on home screen
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 04:55:07 am »
Install Nova launcher.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 05:00:33 am »
Is the Google search bar on the home screen a permanent feature?  I haven't found a way to remove it.

You will probably have to change launcher to be able to remove it. (Might also be possible on rooted devices, without changing launcher.) I use Nova Launcher, and have seen quite a few others that uses it too...

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 04:27:43 am »
I also hated this stupid search bar. Thanks for hints to use nova-launcher. Very good. Hope, its not some kind of spyware. It is from google isnt it?

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:23:18 pm »
If you have multiple pages on your home screen, the Google search bar appears only on the first one. So one workaround is to keep only rarely-needed (or no!) apps on that first page, and use 2nd/3rd/… pages for all your everyday apps. That way, its effect is minimised.

(At least, that's how I worked around it on my Gemini, and it has worked well for me. Apart from that bar, the default launcher works well enough, and I didn't want the hassle of adding another one and dealing with updates, possible future incompatibilities or other problems, etc. That said, I've seen several recommendations for Nova Launcher, so it must work for some folks.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro