Author Topic: VNC between a C750 and a Mac  (Read 5172 times)

ccrandal

• View Profile
VNC between a C750 and a Mac
« on: March 26, 2004, 11:31:39 pm »
I installed fbvncserver on my C750, and I have VNCThing on my Powerbook.  The display works great, but the response time for clicks and keyboard input is horrible.  I suspect it\'s the client since using VNCThing to VNC into my iMac is also sluggish.  Can anyone recommend a good VNC client on the Mac that works well with fbvncserver?

Thanks
Curt
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
EDGE 512MB CF/Kingston 256MB SD
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF
Socket Bluetooth CF (rev F)

twocargar

• View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/tgoyette/iblog/B1030624653/index.html
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 11:41:50 am »
Curt,

I\'ve used VNCDimension (http://www.mdimension.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/mDimension.woa/1/wo/rOQ8i7JD0PxsJrjwos6Ot0/0.7) on my Mac with my Z running Sharp ROM 3.1 w/FB VNC Server and it works ok.
There\'s also Chicken of the VNC for OS X (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/), but I haven\'t tried it yet.

TCG
SL 5500, Sharp ROM 3.13, Netgear MA701 WiFi Card,  PNY 256MB SD card, Mac OS 10.4.x, Apple PowerBook G4, PowerMac G5 Dualie

Zaurus For A Mac User Blog

ccrandal69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:57:36 pm »
I just tried VNC Thing (again), Chicken of the VNC, and VNCDimension.  All of the are unusable in the sense that input from the keyboard or mouse just takes WAY too long.  I'm talking on the order of 1-2min for mouse clicks and about 30s for keyboard strokes.

VNCDimension, though, works really well in full screen mode display-wise.  If I could only have a full bluetooth stack so I could use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse, then I could just use VNCDimension for display only.

I'm giving Real VNC a try now on Win2000 in my VPC 6 application.  Hopefully that'll work better.  I suppose I could also try using a bootable Linux PPC CD with VNC on it and that may work too.

Thanks
Curt

ccrandal69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:07:15 am »
Yep, Real VNC on Win2000 in VPC 6 works pretty well.  The only problem I see is that I cannot get a "?" character to print.  Whether I use shift with the / key, I just get a comma.  The comma key gives me /.  So, I think either the Real VNC client, the Keypebble VNC server, or some quirk with the Apple bluetooth keyboard is causing some keyboard mapping problem.

Anyone know why VNC works so poorly on OS X?

Thanks
Curt

Ezekiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 07:05:34 pm »
It usually doesn't... it works just as well as on any other *nix, as far as I know. How are you connecting your Z with your mac? If it's by the usb cabel, it could very well be a problem with the Zaurus USB network driver.
Zaurus SL-C750 (Sharp ROM)
Kingston 256 MB SD card

ccrandal69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 11:14:08 am »
Actually, I'm using my Ambicom WiFi card.  The display is really responsive, it's just the stupid input that's so slow.  This seems like an VNC client issue and not anything to do with the server or network.

Someone on the Apple Discussion board said I should turn on zlib compression.  I could only find that option in VNCDimension and it was already turned on.  Chicken of the VNC and VNCThing didn't seem to have that option anywhere (at least that I could find).

It's funny that VPC6 + Win2000 + Real VNC works great.

I'm going to try Xvnc on the Mac next.  Hopefully, that'll work better.

What are you using right now?

Thanks
Curt

CountB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 07:03:25 am »
I'm having exactly the same problem with my C860 and Powerbook, VNC opens quickly enough buf the response time is poor.

CountB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 09:24:21 am »
I'm having exactly the same problem with my C860 and Powerbook, VNC opens quickly enough buf the response time is poor.
UPDATE: Apple Remote Desktop 2.1 has a responsive VNC client! But for $299 it should...