Author Topic: VoIP On the 6000  (Read 63090 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:53 am »
hmm, iconnecthere looks like quite a useful service, as they can offer me a Phoenix/Arizona number, ideal for my daughter to be able to ring me cheaply.

all I basically really need is a way to get a VOIP service that offers me a cheap or free inbound number in the USA that can call my VOIP phone in the UK.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

undrwater

• View Profile
    • http://
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2007, 07:55:03 pm »
So I've successfully gotten kppi to work with asterisk sending and receiving calls from the PSTN.  It worked well internally.  Then I resd up on how to get SIP calls past a NAT and I nearly choked.  A minimum of 20 ports are required to bo open!  SIP-aware firewalls/routers can open and close these ports when SIP packets come in, but that's an added expense (or headache if one is to build a firewall).

IAX only requires one UDP port open.  ZIAX is the only Z app I'm aware of that uses this protocol.  KPPI in conjunction with FWD (who can use IAX) might be another solution, though I worry about latency.

adf

• View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2007, 11:52:31 pm »
So I've successfully gotten kppi to work with asterisk sending and receiving calls from the PSTN.  It worked well internally.  Then I resd up on how to get SIP calls past a NAT and I nearly choked.  A minimum of 20 ports are required to bo open!  SIP-aware firewalls/routers can open and close these ports when SIP packets come in, but that's an added expense (or headache if one is to build a firewall).

IAX only requires one UDP port open.  ZIAX is the only Z app I'm aware of that uses this protocol.  KPPI in conjunction with FWD (who can use IAX) might be another solution, though I worry about latency.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Any chance someone has some scripting done for setting up a firewall to go with asterisk, maybe?  Nice to see someone doing something with this btw
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

undrwater

• View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2007, 12:14:53 am »
Any chance someone has some scripting done for setting up a firewall to go with asterisk, maybe?  Nice to see someone doing something with this btw
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I think most of your typical linux firewall distros will allow this kind of control for SIP packets.  My problem is that I don't want to have yet another noisy, power-hungry machine clogging some corner of the house.  

I run a web server, which I intend to by the asterisk server as well...If I put it on the DMZ and firewall it (would this be IPCHAINS?), I wonder if that might be better.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this...there's sooo much to learn!

adf

• View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2007, 03:04:57 am »
iptables, unless you`re running kernel 2.2, I think.
using the same box for both is probably the right idea
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2007, 08:43:18 am »
I use siproxd on my space heater*, er, firewall/file-server.  Works very well.

mine's got an ipw-2915abg card and a usb bluetooth adaptor, so I can use it as general purpose router for PDAs and laptops too. On a palm can use "articulation" as the sip client.

it's a lot more flexible for natting and firewalling than a standalone adsl modem/router/wireless thingy, and I keep the wireless interface on a separate network to the secure cabled network.

*use a decent antech psu, a quiet CPU fan, and FDB hard drive, and it's not too bad at all noise wise.. and it keeps the room warm in winter, so the waste heat is not a problem, although it costs more for electric heating than gas!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:44:45 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2007, 08:44:07 am »
I run a web server, which I intend to by the asterisk server as well...If I put it on the DMZ and firewall it (would this be IPCHAINS?), I wonder if that might be better.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

consider
[a href=\"http://www.sipfoundry.org/]http://www.sipfoundry.org/[/url]
instead of asterisk

xjqian

• View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2007, 10:12:42 am »
The upstream KPhone has matured a lot since moving to Sourceforge.

"KPhone is a SIP UA for Linux, supporting a multitude of features. Originally developed by Billy Biggs, it was developed at Wirlab until 2005. It is now developed by a team of volunteers in this project."

The latest version is 1.0.2.1, which fixes lots of crucial bugs (like digital DTMF, Hold, and memory leak, which I personally suffered alot) and added more features. The KPhone included in the latest KPhone Pi is 4.0.3. If nobody else beats me, I will try to compile the KPhone/Pi with the latest CVS.

Attached is the latest Kphone Changelog
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
VoIP On the 6000
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2007, 10:36:43 am »
The upstream KPhone has matured a lot since moving to Sourceforge.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

does look like some very worthwhile updates... I'd love to see a new version on zaurus sharp rom.