Author Topic: Can't Install Software  (Read 2250 times)

peter_s_conrad

• View Profile
Can't Install Software
« on: November 15, 2004, 11:22:14 pm »
I'm using the Cacko/Crow ROMs on my SL-5000D. I finally picked up my Zaurus today after I hadn't used it in a while, and decided to install some software. But I can't!

* if I go to Add/Remove, it doesn't find any packages
* if I go to the File manager and look in /home/Documents/Install_Files, there are all kinds of .ipk files (including some I know I installed at one point) but "Open in Add/Remove" doesn't work. It opens up Add/Remove, but there are no packages listed
* if I go to a shell and type ipkg install {package name ending in .ipk} then it tells me there was an unexpected end-of-file on the several that I downloaded tonight.

I finally got my wireless CF card working, and I would like a browser on my Zaurus. Can't get anything to install! What do I do?

tumnus

• View Profile
    • http://www.cpinkney.org.uk
Can't Install Software
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:34:17 am »
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Qualendar for Calendar and Todo
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,
Pretec CF->Smartmedia Adapter, Semsons Universal Battery Extender

peter_s_conrad

• View Profile
Can't Install Software
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:22:40 am »
Okay, I got the wireless CF working, pointed my Zaurus at a feed (http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/cacko/pdaXrom/26-FEB-2004/feed/) and I can see packages in the Package Manager. I click the "?" and see info about the package. I click Install and get back to the list. I click OK and it asks me if I want to install on CF or SD (grayed out) or Internal Storage. I select Internal Storage and click OK. It says it's processing. If I look in the Packages window (network packages) it has a blue dot next to the one I installed. If I look in the Uninstall Packages window the ones I installed show up.

BUT

None of the things I installed show up in Applications. I can uninstall them and reinstall them, reboot, etc. with no effect. I've installed (but can't see in Applications) the GIMP, GAIM, Konqueror-Embedded, and a few other things.

Why aren't they showing up in the Applications? How can I use these apps?

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Can't Install Software
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:45:58 am »
BTW, the pdaXrom apps are all compiled with the ARM5 instruction set; this won't work on the StrongArm machines (5500/5000D).

The reason that none of these have shown up, is that they are X11 based apps, and therefore they place their shortcuts in a different location to that in which Qtopia looks for its shortcuts.

As I stated above, these apps won't work, however if you wanted to use X11 based apps (from elsewhere), you'd need to install XQt (then you might see the shortcuts).

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

peter_s_conrad

• View Profile
Can't Install Software
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 12:58:10 pm »
Darn.

All I want to do is run a browser and hopefully the GIMP on my 5000D with the Cacko ROMs. I seem to be able to install from the network if I have a feed available. Is there a browser (and hopefully a port of the GIMP) that will work on my machine, and if so does anyone know the URL?

I'm really grateful for your help so far, BTW. Thanks.

peter_s_conrad

• View Profile
Can't Install Software
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 04:14:05 pm »
Okay. I found and installed a  copy of Opera. So it seems that my trouble was (as you pointed out) due to the fact that the packages were compiled for the wrong ARM or for a different windowing manager.

So, where do I go to find software that will specifically work on QPE on the SL-5000D under Cacko ROMs? I'd love to have the GIMP, GAIM, an FTP client, and all that stuff. Is there a feed out there?

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Can't Install Software
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:43:30 am »
killefiz.de/zaurus is a good place to start; most stuff on there is for Qtopia (as opposed to X11), in fact I'd stick my head out and say that it'd all work in Qtopia/Opie.

and just to help out a bit... ;-)

Gaim: http://qpe-gaim.sourceforge.net/

GIMP: Not available, you could try running it though XQt, though I'm not sure where you could source the binary for ARM4 (except from OZ+GPE, posibly, but then it'd need a later version of libc than the one you're using...)

FTP client: Hmm, there's stuff in OZ (which again suffers from being too new for you too run easily), I'm sure there's something on killefiz.

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

peter_s_conrad

• View Profile
Can't Install Software
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 12:52:12 pm »
Cool. So, is it safe to say that QPE and Opie and QTopia things all interoperate? Can I run stuff that has Opie or QT in the name?

P. S. I'm starting to actually get some use out of this weird little computer.

P. P. S. My new favorite error message ever is: "This package seems to depends [sic] on other packages. Please install them too."