Author Topic: Things Every Rom Release Ought To Do  (Read 4445 times)

Omicron

• View Profile
    • http://
Things Every Rom Release Ought To Do
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 05:37:25 pm »
Hey, off-topic but:

[span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']TO ALL BUILDERS OF ALL ZAURUS ROMS (PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE...and never to forget CROW  )

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The results may not always be perfect, but without all you guys, I'd be WINCEing by now !!!  

[/span]

It never hurts to make that very clear.  I know I speak for the vast majority (even those who take the whole ROM thing for granted)
"You Shall Not Pass"    
....Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings
--------------------------------------------------------------
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  
Upgraded Archos AV320 w/80GB HDD
Pocketop and Targus IR keyboards
Favorite Deal Site: SaveCity.net (pretty cool, good deals daily on one page)

tg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2004, 09:13:19 am »
Hey, off-topic but:

[span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']TO ALL BUILDERS OF ALL ZAURUS ROMS (PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE...and never to forget CROW  )

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The results may not always be perfect, but without all you guys, I'd be WINCEing by now !!!  

[/span]

It never hurts to make that very clear.  I know I speak for the vast majority (even those who take the whole ROM thing for granted)

Omicron is absolutely right. For me it would be even worse - without you guys I would not  be using PDA at all (unless Jobs changes his mind and decided to produce one with OSX).
Many thanks to all and happy holidays.

guylhem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 12:29:26 pm »
Mickey, thanks - I also share your opinion 100%. IMHO a decision is overdue. There should be one as soon as possible !

I'd tend to say that re-re-re-reinventing the wheel is a bad idea. The worst possible - spreading resources even further :-) IMHO it's not a library problem - GPE is LGPL IIRC. It's just trying to consolidate on something that people will believe will live on. Usually you don't work on something if you don't believe it'll succeed.

I believe the first alternative you listed is the right thing to do- go for application. Take the flavour of the day - even if it's already outdated, and port/create apps. Focus on the best ones and bring in  free software replacements when it's needed (ex: a synchronisation daemon like shsync to let people use intellisync, libsl/dtm ...)
Leave the toolkit/core to trolltech - that wouldn't be very far from what KDE did: take a good library, and use it to write good apps. That's a model most people would believe in and IMHO would be willing to work with: a company taking care of some stuff, the community taking care of the rest. If there would be such a project, you can count me in! Ok I'm no good in C++, but I can do C, documentation, usability etc.

One could say it's playing catch up again. I tend to think it's not - starting from the same basis (ex: qtopia 2.1), applications would be the #1 issue, while filling up missing parts /non GPL parts would just be a side issues. As ljp said, it'd be building upon qtopia.

Yet trolltech would need to make the devel of the latests toolkit a little more public, to avoid surprising devels with strange changes when the newest version is released.

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 06:43:57 pm »
could it be possible? could OZ concentrate on making a whole new thing (like e or gpe) based on X and then concentrate on applications and interface tweaks? Maybe even port the best of opie/qt based apps over? That would be very cool. Of course, the answer is that anyone can take oe (theoretically-- I haven't even tested my toolchain yet) and do just that.  Mybe the answer is improving the robustness and especailly the useability of oe? give it a gui, pick an app off a list check a "device you are compiling for" radio box and out pops an ipk?  a kind of oe light where the "feeds" are based on mirrors and filters?  Very jetson-- but I bet it would take off.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf