Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Archlinuxarm On C3x00
OESF Portables Forum > Model Specific Forums > Sharp Zaurus > Zaurus - Arch Linux ARM support
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
greguu
Hi,

this thread is about to get ALARM running on the C3x00 series.

We aim to provide a basic functioning console only ArchLinuxArm for C3x00.

No intention to support Xorg, Touchscreen and over-clocking at this stage.

NOTE : Please post in the new threads if you have questions / issue with kernel or rootfs.

GitHub HowTo : https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

GitHub Kernels : https://github.com/greguu/linux-4.4-cxx00/releases/

GitHub RootFS : https://github.com/greguu/alarm-zaurus-c3x00/releases
ArchiMark
Thanks for sharing this....

If my work ever slows down and I have some time, I'd like to give this a try....
danboid
Hi daalnroti

I haven't used my C3000 in about 4 or more years but I'd like to make use of it again, mainly as a pocket SSH client. It seems better suited to that than my smartphone - with or without a BT keyboard - even if its specs are feeble in comparison.

I was excited to see you have got Arch running on the c3x00 as that is my preferred Linux distro/OS these days (I've been impressed with it on my BananaPi) but I was disappointed to read suspend doesn't work. I can live without X or the touchscreen but I'd definitely want to be able to suspend. Have you tried to get suspend to work? Which 3x00 model are you running Arch on?

Why kernel 3.11.3 vs a more recent one? Is that the last one that supports C3x00 devices?

My last (failed) attempt to get something runnng on my Z was Debian 7 IIRC. If I'm really out of luck with suspend under Arch with your kernel then I'm thinking I might try the latest OpenBSD. Have you tried Net or OpenBSD on the Z? Are there any other modern Linux distros we can run on the Z apart from Arch and Debian? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
ArchiMark
Hi danboid,

I'll let daalnroti chime in about Arch and suspend....somehow suspend always seems to be an issue this sort of thing I've found on other distros and devices....

As for OpenBSD, it has been the most active distro around here the past few years.....

See this thread for a fairly recent update....as well as other threads in that forum section..

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry281633

Mark
danboid
Thanks ArchiMark!

I'm going to try installing OpenBSD on my C3000 tonight. I've been wanting an excuse to run BSD somewhere - I'm currently waiting for FreeBSD to get released for my BananaPi. I tried PC-BSD and DragonFlyBSD on my laptop recently but the hardware support and performance as a desktop computer is crap compared to (Arch) Linux.I can see how ZFS is a big win for servers so I'm hoping to use that on my BPi, although you could say ZFS doesn't make as much sense without RAID.

I'm kinda surprised you kept your Z when you have a Pandora and you sold your Netwalker and N900. What has kept you using your Z (and reading these forums)?

I see hrw (ex-OZ / Angstrom dev) now works on ARM stuff for RedHat. I wonder what happened to Meanie?

I've just noticed I've been a user of these forums for almost a decade now! That's pretty scary in a way but also shows how cool the Z was that I still want to use it ten years on. I see you've almost entered your OESF teens Archimark! smile.gif
ArchiMark
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 1 2015, 11:05 AM) *
Thanks ArchiMark!

I'm going to try installing OpenBSD on my C3000 tonight. I've been wanting an excuse to run BSD somewhere - I'm currently waiting for FreeBSD to get released for my BananaPi. I tried PC-BSD and DragonFlyBSD on my laptop recently but the hardware support and performance as a desktop computer is crap compared to (Arch) Linux.I can see how ZFS is a big win for servers so I'm hoping to use that on my BPi, although you could say ZFS doesn't make as much sense without RAID.

I'm kinda surprised you kept your Z when you have a Pandora and you sold your Netwalker and N900. What has kept you using your Z (and reading these forums)?

I see hrw (ex-OZ / Angstrom dev) now works on ARM stuff for RedHat. I wonder what happened to Meanie?

I've just noticed I've been a user of these forums for almost a decade now! That's pretty scary in a way but also shows how cool the Z was that I still want to use it ten years on.

You might want to read OmegaMoon webpage on OpenBSD install....while info is old, it still might be of some help...although there is (at least was...) Zaurus install info through OpenBSD related site..and readme file.....

Need to update my sig again.....I had a Pandora.....but sold it earlier in the year, as I've just been so busy with work the past few years, I haven't had the time I thought I would to play with little mobile computers.... I have been following the next-gen Pandora progress, the Pyra, and it is moving along quite well now. So, it will be available later this year or early next year....might get one just for fun....

I had sold my Z's a few years back, but then about a year ago, I read about OpenBSD on Z, so, got another one....played a bit with it when I first got it a year ago with Ubuntu, Debian, etc....then discovered that OpenBSD seemed to be a current distro option. Then early this year ran into some snags with making packages I wanted to use plus being busy with work, so haven't touched the Z since then....

Hadn't read the forums in almost 6 months I think, but got another email notification about a post the other day, so, while I was here, I checked on new posts and found this one...

Arch on Z would be great, but I'd want xorg, etc, so, don't think it will be option for me at this point....

Will be great to here if you have some luck with the latest OpenBSD....please post in one of the OpenBSD section threads we've had going with your experience...

As for Meanie, that is THE question......he just disappeared one day....although when I checked a few months ago, his Z pages were still up....best I can tell he was very busy with work and couldn't deal with Zaurus stuff and everyone pestering him for updates and questions....

Yes, you and I are some of the 'old-timers' here......those were fun times when the Z was still in production....just wish that Sharp had released a C4000 series with a slightly larger display, built-in wifi and a USB port.....that would have been great for me....

smile.gif

Mark
danboid
I'd heard about the Pyra. I might get one IF Imagination finally release a fully working Linux/X/Wayland driver, like they've said they would for the last decade or whatever it is. Otherwise, they should've gone for the Tegra K1 / X1 or an Adreno chipset supported by Rob Clarks Freedreno driver. My Pandaboard was always shit under X because the PVR drivers were absolute trash with no open alternative.

Funny to hear you ended up selling your Z's only to buy another a year ago! The C3000 was a crazy cool device when it got released. I got mine signed by RMS at a talk he did in Manchester a few years ago but unfortunately I chose a bad ink/pen and his sig got smudged. sad.gif

I'll let you know how I get on with my OpenBSD installl. I'll prob send a report into the BSD Now webcast too as they'll love it!
danboid
The BPi is a cool bit of budget ARM computing kit, I must say. Mine runs Arch off a 2.5" SATA SSD and has an uptime of over 6 months now - 187 days thus far, with no fan and entirely powered by the one USB port. Having SATA makes a huge difference to the system performance, of course.

I'm half tempted to buy the Nvidia Shield TV Pro, or at least I will be if someone gets a SATAIII SSD into it and if you get full OGL accel with FLOSS drivers under proper AArch64 Linux! That'd be a notable upgrade over the BPi for my leading ARM device!
ArchiMark
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 1 2015, 11:53 AM) *
I'd heard about the Pyra. I might get one IF Imagination finally release a fully working Linux/X/Wayland driver, like they've said they would for the last decade or whatever it is. Otherwise, they should've gone for the Tegra K1 / X1 or an Adre no chipset supported by Rob Clarks Freedreno driver. My Pandaboard was always shit under X because the PVR drivers were absolute trash with no open alternative.

Sorry, not familiar with the products you're referring to...but understand your point.... smile.gif

Funny to hear to ended up selling your Z's only to buy another a year ago - the C3000 was a crazy cool device when it got released.

Yep, who woulda thunk it....

I got mine signed by RMS at a talk he did in Manchester a few years ago but unfortunately I chose a bad ink/pen and it got smudged.

Is that Richard Stallman you're referring to or ?..................

I'll let you know how I get on with my OpenBSD installl. I'll prob send a report into the BSD Now webcast too as they'll love it!

Sounds good.....

QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 1 2015, 12:02 PM) *
The BPi is a cool bit of budget ARM computing kit, I must say. Mine runs Arch off a 2.5" SATA SSD and has an uptime of over 6 months now - 187 days thus far, with no fan and entirely powered by the one USB port. Having SATA makes a huge difference to the system performance, of course.

Sorry, have no idea what BPi is......but sounds good......like I said, I've been way too busy with work the past few years.... smile.gif

I'm half tempted to buy the Shield TV pro, or at least I will be if someone gets a SATAIII SSD into it and if you get full OGL accel with FLOSS drivers under proper AARCH64 Linux. That'd be a notable upgrade over the BPi for my leading ARM device!

Ummm, no idea what the Shield TV pro is either.....guess I gotta get out more..... smile.gif
danboid
Damn! I didn't get to clean up my typos before you replied! wink.gif

Yep, Richard Stallman signed my C3000! I've got a crappy video of it too but its more like an audio recording.

I bought my BPi and PSU from newit.co.uk. Its like the RPi 2 but with the advantage of including a SATA2 port and gigabit ethernet for the same very low price- ~£30. It makes for a cool, budget ARM computer. There is a NetBSD port already but I'm holdiing out for FreeBSD as I want ZFS.

The Nvidia Shield has just been released in Europe. Its got a fast 64bit ARM CPU, powerful Nvidia Maxwell GFX chipset (with open drivers like the Tegra K1 I'd hope but I'm not 100% it's there yet) 3GB RAM, USB3 ports, gige etc for about £150. The Pro version has a SATA HD so it'd make for a poweful and modern ARM Linux computer that can compete well with modern Intel stuff. It runs Android by default but Phoronix did benchmarks of it running Ubuntu a while back.
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 1 2015, 02:30 PM) *
Hi daalnroti

I haven't used my C3000 in about 4 or more years but I'd like to make use of it again, mainly as a pocket SSH client. It seems better suited to that than my smartphone - with or without a BT keyboard - even if its specs are feeble in comparison.

I was excited to see you have got Arch running on the c3x00 as that is my preferred Linux distro/OS these days (I've been impressed with it on my BananaPi) but I was disappointed to read suspend doesn't work. I can live without X or the touchscreen but I'd definitely want to be able to suspend. Have you tried to get suspend to work? Which 3x00 model are you running Arch on?

Why kernel 3.11.3 vs a more recent one? Is that the last one that supports C3x00 devices?

My last (failed) attempt to get something runnng on my Z was Debian 7 IIRC. If I'm really out of luck with suspend under Arch with your kernel then I'm thinking I might try the latest OpenBSD. Have you tried Net or OpenBSD on the Z? Are there any other modern Linux distros we can run on the Z apart from Arch and Debian? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Hi danboid,

simple answer to Xorg, suspend and touchscreen. I have not tried and investigated the issue. I had a pretty good setup with debian before, except suspend everything worked.

My Z is mainly for SSH console work. However, it does not mean suspend is still broken, someone needs to spent some time testing and figuring it out I guess.

Why kernel 3.11.3 ? Well that was the last time I went through the effort of compiling one. ArchLinuxArm still works with it and I see no reason to upgrade until it breaks.

There are hardly any changes to the zaurus code in the kernel anymore.

ArchLinuxArm runs very well, fast and stable. Slightly more memory usage because of systemd. You need to limit your tty sessions to 4, everything is fine. Boots up pretty quick.

ArchLinux pacman is fast when updating and installing, compared to apt-get. Packages a pretty fresh.

Just let me know if you are keen on testing it out and have issue.

Cheers!
greguu
and by the way, I have been running ArchLinuxArm on C3100 since June 2012, rolling release and still going. No issues with updates, except the odd systemd issue asking for a newer kernel. Since 3.11.3 all good so far.
danboid
Archi:

obsd no bootio!

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34386

Any ideas?
ArchiMark
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 1 2015, 12:36 PM) *
Damn! I didn't get to clean up my typos before you replied! wink.gif

Yep, Richard Stallman signed my C3000! I've got a crappy video of it too but its more like an audio recording.

I bought my BPi and PSU from newit.co.uk. Its like the RPi 2 but with the advantage of including a SATA2 port and gigabit ethernet for the same very low price- ~£30. It makes for a cool, budget ARM computer. There is a NetBSD port already but I'm holdiing out for FreeBSD as I want ZFS.

The Nvidia Shield has just been released in Europe. Its got a fast 64bit ARM CPU, powerful Nvidia Maxwell GFX chipset (with open drivers like the Tegra K1 I'd hope but I'm not 100% it's there yet) 3GB RAM, USB3 ports, gige etc for about £150. The Pro version has a SATA HD so it'd make for a poweful and modern ARM Linux computer that can compete well with modern Intel stuff. It runs Android by default but Phoronix did benchmarks of it running Ubuntu a while back.

QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 1 2015, 01:25 PM) *

Thanks for all the info, got it now!

smile.gif
ArchiMark
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 2 2015, 05:37 AM) *

Yep, please read my reply to your post over in the OpenBSD section...........

Mark
danboid
Thanks!
danboid
daalnroti:

I want to give Arch a go on my C3000.

I presume a rough outline of the install goes something like:

* Install kexecboot
* Create partitions
* Extract Arch tarball to root fs
* Extract boot.cfg, config-3.11.3-borzoi and zImage-3.11.3-borzoi.bin to /boot on the Arch rootfs

What about the 3.11.3-borzoi folder within your kernel tar file? I think that belongs under /usr/lib/modules , right?

Did you say you've got a keymap file I could borrow and tweak for my imperialist, UK loving ways? smile.gif

Anything else that might trip me up, apart from me not running on Borzoi?

Thanks!
danboid
I'm now running Arch on my C3000! biggrin.gif

kexecboot was simple to install but I had a bit of trouble installing the Arch tarball. I was trying to untar it from the D+B console and I also tried doing it from the pdaXii13 installer console. Both of these use busybox so there's little difference but I think the pdaXii13 busybox is a bit newer than the D+B one. It turns out you can't use busybox tar or even GNU tar to uncompress ArchARM (or ALARM as they prefer to call it), you have to use bsd tar. If you already have a Linux or BSD installed then you should be able to install and use BSD tar but I didn't so instead I uncompressed the Arch latest tar.gz on my laptop then re-tarr'ed it with GNU tar. I still had problems when I gzipped my new tarball for some reason so I had to leave it uncompressed for busybox tar to be happy.

I haven't been able to properly use it yet because, as warned, the keymap isn't set up properly yet although it is working well enough for me to be able to log in. I can't type forward slash currently so real use is a no-go unless I plug in a USB keyboard, maybe.

Suspend isn't working properly but it works better than under OpenBSD on the C3000. When I hit suspend, apm acknowedges the suspend request and the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds before turning back on. This seems closer to the expected behaviour than the grey screen I get under OBSD.

The other oddity is that my orange power LED is blinking twice every second or so when I have AC connected. None of the other distros I've tried do this. Does your C3100 do that daalnroti?

I love it how ALARM only uses 10MB RAM OOTB!

Thanks for bringing Arch to the Z daalnroti - I think this is going to be great once I've got the keyboard and wifi working!
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 6 2015, 12:36 AM) *
I'm now running Arch on my C3000! biggrin.gif

kexecboot was simple to install but I had a bit of trouble installing the Arch tarball. I was trying to untar it from the D+B console and I also tried doing it from the pdaXii13 installer console. Both of these use busybox so there's little difference but I think the pdaXii13 busybox is a bit newer than the D+B one. It turns out you can't use busybox tar or even GNU tar to uncompress ArchARM (or ALARM as they prefer to call it), you have to use bsd tar. If you already have a Linux or BSD installed then you should be able to install and use BSD tar but I didn't so instead I uncompressed the Arch latest tar.gz on my laptop then re-tarr'ed it with GNU tar. I still had problems when I gzipped my new tarball for some reason so I had to leave it uncompressed for busybox tar to be happy.

I haven't been able to properly use it yet because, as warned, the keymap isn't set up properly yet although it is working well enough for me to be able to log in. I can't type forward slash currently so real use is a no-go unless I plug in a USB keyboard, maybe.

Suspend isn't working properly but it works better than under OpenBSD on the C3000. When I hit suspend, apm acknowedges the suspend request and the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds before turning back on. This seems closer to the expected behaviour than the grey screen I get under OBSD.

The other oddity is that my orange power LED is blinking twice every second or so when I have AC connected. None of the other distros I've tried do this. Does your C3100 do that daalnroti?

I love it how ALARM only uses 10MB RAM OOTB!

Thanks for bringing Arch to the Z daalnroti - I think this is going to be great once I've got the keyboard and wifi working!

Hi Danboid,

great to hear you had success with the ALAM tar ball. I used my debian port to install arch on the same drive (dual boot).

KEYMAP:

if you can not get a forwards slash, use TAB in the command line after typing a directory name

then create a new folder /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/zaurus

CODE
cd /usr/share/kbd/keymaps
mkdir zaurus

then copy the attached file borzoi.map.gz into that folder, then edit you /etc/vconsole.conf
(install terminus font via pacman and also add the FONT part for better console font reading)

CODE
KEYMAP=borzoi
FONT=ter-v14n

reboot. Hopefully this will get your keymap fixed.
Note : This is a custom keymap I have created from a pdaxrom one. Look into the borzoi.map.gz file to see what it does.

SUSPEND:

I have not played with it. I suggest to leave this until you got a proper running system and then investigate from there.

POWER LED:

Back then I patched the kernel code to have the orange light show the "cpu heartbeat" instead of charging status. This was mainly for debugging purpose.
If it stops blinking, your Z kernel hangs. This never happened with kernel 3.11.3, as it is stable. I can remove that patch if you like, but there
was an issue with off-line charging...??

WIFI :

The kernel is a custom build used for debugging and testing and has only DLINK and and ASUS USB driver installed for WiFi.
As simple recompile can add any other driver you need. What WiFi card do you have ?

MEMORY:

to reduce memory usage, install dropbear instead of ssh.
with systemd, limit the ttys you open to maybe 4 in the console to save memory.
switching tty with the new keymap (FN - RIGHT or LEFT)

BORZOI:

Myself I have only a C3100 (borzoi) but I included in the kernel support for the C3x00 series. It should work!

KERNEL:

I might attempt to get a 4.x series kernel compiled, but at this stage I am not too worried as there will be no improvements, probably more issues.
If there is an issue with ALARM and the current 3.11.3 kernel, I will update.

Cheers!
danboid
Hi daalnroti

Thanks for the keymap and answering my questions. I'll be trying the keymap shortly.

What's off vs online charging? I would've guessed one is charging when suspended but you've obviously not tested that.

I'm glad you pointed out the limited wifi options at present. I currently have a planex gw-cf11x which uses the PRISM 3 chipset but yesterday I ordered a SparkLAN WCFM-100 because thats faster and supports 802.11g so that should arrive in the next couple of days. Might you make another kernel release with more PCMCIA wifi (and PCMCIA ethernet) drivers included? That would be handy as it must take an age to compile the kernel on the Z!

I was right to copy your kernels 3.11.3-borzoi dir into /usr/lib/modules , was I?

One good thing about trying a newer kernel would be we would escape the Tux flying the Windows logo flag boot icon offence! 3.11 is of course the 'Linux for Workgroups' release! smile.gif

The other great thing I've already noticed with ALARM is that it boots literally twice as fast, if not more than twice as fast than any other Z OS I've tried. It boots in about 40 seconds off my stock 4GB MD. That is no doubt thanks to systemd combined with Arch's lean default state.
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 6 2015, 08:14 AM) *
Hi daalnroti

Thanks for the keymap and answering my questions. I'll be trying the keymap shortly.

What's off vs online charging? I would've guessed one is charging when suspended but you've obviously not tested that.

I'm glad you pointed out the limited wifi options at present. I currently have a planex gw-cf11x which uses the PRISM 3 chipset but yesterday I ordered a SparkLAN WCFM-100 because thats faster and supports 802.11g so that should arrive in the next couple of days. Might you make another kernel release with more PCMCIA wifi (and PCMCIA ethernet) drivers included? That would be handy as it must take an age to compile the kernel on the Z!

I was right to copy your kernels 3.11.3-borzoi dir into /usr/lib/modules , was I?

One good thing about trying a newer kernel would be we would escape the Tux flying the Windows logo flag boot shock! 3.11 is of course Linux for Workgroups! smile.gif

The other great thing I've already noticed with ALARM is that it boots literally twice as fast, if not more than twice as fast than any other distro I've tried. It boots in about 40 seconds. That is no doubt thanks to systemd combined with Arch's lean default state.

Hi danboid.

offline charging is when the Z is plugged in , but not turned on. This has been an issue with 3.x series kernels and has never been fixed.
The Z only charges when turned on...

Yes, the modules for kernel 3.11.3-borzoi go into dir usr/lib/modules

I can do a kernel recompile for the 3.11.3 with drivers requested, remove some patches or the logo.

Whats wrong with the logo ? wink.gif My 3.5 kernel had a proper archlinuxarm logo, I can add that again ...

No problem, with a tool chain it takes just 5 min. on the Z with distcc, maybe 2h, on the Z alone about 8h for a minimal kernel.

Let me know what modules you need, if you have no tool chain to compile the kernel from my github.

ALARM boots fast, because of systemd, yes, and because it is lean.

Just wait until you can use pacman, you will be amazed how fast it is compared to obsd or debian apt-get. smile.gif

Once you got your keymap fixed, do some testing and let me know what drivers/modules you might need.

Cheers!
danboid
I remembered what offline charging was as soon as I'd finished writing that last mail. Its what happens what you don't use your Z for 5 years!

That's a shame with offline charging not working. I hope apm works apart from that (and suspend) ie it accurately tells me the battery charge etc?

As for the LED, if it's doing what you say it is, why does it only do it when AC is plugged in? Could you have the power LED behave as it does under the official ROM, or closely mimic it except for offline behaviour for obvious reasons?

I already know how much faster pacman is than dpkg - check my signature! smile.gif

distcc! I've never tried it but that could come in very handy for big builds, as you say.

To use wifi I'll need hostap_cs for the PRISM card and libertas_cs for my new wifi card. If you could provide an update kernel / modules to save me the hassle, that'd be much appreciated!

Can I overclock the CPU to 624Mhz under 3.11?

Thanks daalnroti!
greguu
Hi danboid,

In regards to charging, I guess I got it wrong. When turned on and with a 3.x kernel , the Z charges really slow. When off line, normal charging speed.

If you like, I can remove the LED patch and make it behave as usual. no problem there.

Also I can add the wifi modules for you and recompile, then upload to github.

Overclock, well I never tried, cpufreq on ALARM shows only 416 as max.

This does not mean it cant be done, but I have no need for it to be honest.

Do you have a CF LAN card too , or only WiFi ?

Any USB drivers you may need ?

Cheers
danboid
That's good news on the charging and having a normal power LED!

I don't have a CF LAN card yet no, but I'm tempted to get one.

One of the things I'm keen to try under Arch is MAME. If I get it running I'll be wanting to plug in my USB gamepad but I think thats part of the standard HID driver?

Apart from a USB keyboard and USB memory sticks / hard drives, the only other thing I can see myself plugging into USB would be my phone in an attempt to get tethering to work. I've not tested it yet but just in case the gentoo wiki tells you what needs to be enabled in the kernel to get USB tethering to work:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Android_USB_Tethering

Let me know when you've updated the kernel on github please!

Thanks v.much!
greguu
danboid,

if you want to get mame going you should try this first : https://code.google.com/p/zgrom/wiki/Emulators

Back in the days, I invested a lot of time to get SDL apps working in pure console, using the framebuffer only for emulators etc.

zgrom is the way to go, anything else is just frustrating. The Z uses a rotated frambuffer as default for landscape view. this is a big performance draw back.

and is a real nightmare to get proper Xorg running fast. it has always to rotate in software ! zgrom is the most optimized as far as I know, for gaming.

Thats why I stick to console only. The impact of rotated console is minimal. obsd has the same issue, has to rotate in software, using wcons for SDL.

In regards to led, logo and wifi / tethering . I will post a testing kernel tar.gz in this thread before uploading the sourced to github.

I will post a testing build later tonight (NZ time) or tomorrow. Different timezones man.

Cheers.
danboid
I've read about zgrom but I've not tried it. It's based on OE/Angstrom as I understand. I never had any luck with either distro and of course its package selection pales in comparison to Arch, as is the case for all other distros! smile.gif

Why would it provide better performance than Arch? Has its author tweaked its kernel or SDL somehow? Surely it still has to rotate the FB in software. On top of that, it runs its emus through the wine-like GINGE GP2X compat layer and so the author says the included emus would run faster if they were fully native builds, of course.

I won't be using X. It seems ridiculous to bother on anything less than a HD (or at least 1024x768) display with some hardware acceleration but I'm hopeful for running some old arcade or computer games at 320x240.

Have you tried (Advance)MAME or MESS under Arch?

I'm looking forward to testing the updated kernel.

Cheers
greguu
danboid,

zgrom uses a sdl library optimized for the the Z, not sure the source code of that library was ever made public..sad.gif

anyway, the 3.11.3 kernel has hostap support. also for prism 2/3 , I checked.

can you please give me some more details about your card. ? try a "modprobe hostap" first and check "dmesg"

also you may need just the kernel firmware package, that is available via pacman. but you need to get network going first ..

Cheers,
greguu
I have just tried to recompile the kernel, but since my system is now way up to date, I will need to upgrade the kernel to at least 3.18 or 4.x

Maybe a good chance to get a new kernel going. just give me a few days and I will see what I can get going.

But saying this, I still can compile the 3.11.3 kernel on a older system backup , using older gcc.

I will find out what is more efficient and will let you know. Give me a couple of days, I am busy working at IT daytime and will work on it at nights.

Cheers.
danboid
Sounds good to me!

I can confirm the keymap works. I'm just looking into setting wifi up now.

Yes, it does seem to include hostap already but I I'll need to install the firmware. libertas_cs seems to be missing though and I'll need that for my new wifi card which I should have tomorrow.

Shame about the custom SDL source. It might be worth me checking to see if he's willing to share it with us so we can enjoy better SDL under Arch.
greguu
Danboid,

great you got the keymap working.

you can download the firmware package manually and may be able to install it using pacman -U

still, I will put in some effort to get an updated kernel going and add any needed drivers.

The zaurus is a dying platform, but I will keep it going until my Z hardware dies. smile.gif

Cheers!
danboid
Dying? It died almost a decade ago! biggrin.gif

Weedy as its specs may be today, the fact remains we can still run modern software on it and thats one of the main reasons I bought it. I'd say the Z makes a better pocket SSH client than any of the latest gen smartphones because of its hardware keyboard so its still very useful to us techies.

I think its a shame that, apart from the Pandora which I don't think is available any more either, there hasn't been anything to supercede the Z for pocket Linux boxes. The Pyra should be out soon but I won't buy one unless Imagination release a fully-functional, open source X driver for their PVR GPUs. I can't believe they went that route when it could've used Tegra or Adreno.
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 6 2015, 12:36 PM) *
Dying? It died almost a decade ago! biggrin.gif

Weedy as its specs may be today, the fact remains we can still run modern software on it and thats one of the main reasons I bought it. I'd say the Z makes a better pocket SSH client than any of the latest gen smartphones because of its hardware keyboard so its still very useful to us techies.

I think its a shame that, apart from the Pandora which I don't think is available any more either, there hasn't been anything to supercede the Z for pocket Linux boxes. The Pyra should be out soon but I won't buy one unless Imagination release a fully-functional, open source X driver for their PVR GPUs. I can't believe they went that route when it could've used Tegra or Adreno.

You got a point there, it is dead already, we are the last souls to keep it alive. wink.gif

Also I agree, as a pocket ssh client, it is still useful and more secure compared to android devices.

Saying this, lets focus on one thing. Keep the Z alive , with ALARM.

I appreciate a tester and user a like you. hopefully there might be more joining us with their Z!!

Cheers.
danboid
It looks like there is a good chance you were the first to run Arch on the Z and I'm the second? I'm prob the first to run it on the C3000. Maybe there are a few others who'll show up and some will have just wanted some 'adventurous' types like us to go first? Others might try it after reading my reports of its greatly improved performance and modernity over say pdaXrom?

Do you think there is a chance the Z (or at least the C3x00 series) could become a supported platform for ALARM? Have you talked to them about this already? There are prob as many Z C3x00 owners as there are say Pogoplug owners, which is supported, so it could happen on that basis. I've seen ArchiMark has brought this up on their forum but the lead ALARM dev dismissed it on the grounds that Mark didn't think we had a recent enough kernel to run systemd but that's obviously not true and hasn't been for a few years at least, according to you.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 6 2015, 06:01 AM) *
It looks like there is a good chance you were the first to run Arch on the Z and I'm the second? I'm prob the first to run it on the C3000. Maybe there are a few others who'll show up and some will have just wanted some 'adventurous' types like us to go first? Others might try it after reading my reports of its greatly improved performance and modernity over say pdaXrom?

Do you think there is a chance the Z (or at least the C3x00 series) could become a supported platform for ALARM? Have you talked to them about this already? There are prob as many Z C3x00 owners as there are say Pogoplug owners, which is supported, so it could happen on that basis. I've seen ArchiMark has brought this up on their forum but the lead ALARM dev dismissed it on the grounds that Mark didn't think we had a recent enough kernel to run systemd but that's obviously not true and hasn't been for a few years at least, according to you.

Are you saying I said we didn't have a recent enough kernel or are you referring to another Mark?

Anyway, congrats on getting Arch running......

If I can get a few programs I want built with OBSD, then I might stick with it.....otherwise, might join you guys on Arch.....although I'd probably want X working if I do...

Will follow your progress here.....

Meanwhile I'm building OBSD packages.....

smile.gif
danboid
Yep - I meant you of course - unless there are two Zaurus users called ArchiMark doing the rounds? smile.gif

http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7746

I'm not having much luck getting my PLANEX wifi working so far. Hopefully the SparkLAN will be easier to get going as I can't really do much until I can get pacman (and pacaur / packer etc) working - well not without significant pain manually copying and installing hundreds of pkg files from their repos although some might prefer that to multi-day build marathons. wink.gif

I should mention before I forget that I had to add a line into fstab:

CODE
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,rw,relatime 0 1

Otherwise the root drive gets mounted read only.

vi under D+B was playing up so I had to add that line by running:

CODE
echo "/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,rw,relatime 0 1" >> /etc/fstab
ArchiMark
OK, I get it now.....

Reading that thread, I was reacting to the info supplied by the person responding to my post. Based upon that info, I didn't think we'd meet the requirements...

Glad to see that was not correct....

Hope you get pacman running......

Will keep reading about Arch progress here.....

Something to do while I'm building OBSD packages..... smile.gif
danboid
CODE
poweroff

Seems to be the only clean and reliable way to shut down the Z under Arch, vs using halt or shutdown.

If I'm lucky my 32GB CF (which cost me £15 inc. postage) and new wifi card should be arriving today although I don't think I'll be able to use the wifii until dallnroti gets the new kernel uploaded or I build one myself of course. I think I can wait! smile.gif

Excluding your tweak to get the power LED to indicate the kernels heartbeat, have you applied any custom patches to your kernel or is it all mainlined, upstream code daalnroti?
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 7 2015, 10:46 AM) *
CODE
poweroff

Seems to be the only clean and reliable way to shut down the Z under Arch, vs using halt or shutdown.

If I'm lucky my 32GB CF (which cost me £15 inc. postage) and new wifi card should be arriving today although I don't think I'll be able to use the wifii until dallnroti gets the new kernel uploaded or I build one myself of course. I think I can wait! smile.gif

Excluding your tweak to get the power LED to indicate the kernels heartbeat, have you applied any custom patches to your kernel or is it all mainlined, upstream code daalnroti?

The 3.11.3 kernel has follwing patches :

Power LED => cpu heartbeat
HDD LED => disk activity ( needed to be patches, vanilla kernel does not show HDD activity )
USB => increased max power to 180mA ( _may_ work to get some USB sicks running )
BOOT => some boot hang fix that happenend with 3.x kenels

thats about it.

I will have rebuild 3.11.3 kernel ready this afternoon, containing all USB / CF WiFi drivers, no heartbeat LED and no boot logo.

The 3.18 series did not boot from a vanilla kernel and I will need to troubleshoot later this week. Possibly some patches required.

Cheers!
greguu
If you want to overclock, you can try to add
CODE
pxa27x_maxfreq=624
to your kernel parameters and see if you can get a higher clock rate.
I have not played with it under ALARM.
greguu
new release 3.11.3 kernel
ArchiMark
Hi daalnroti

Enjoy reading about progress and updates with Arch.....

Haven't given up on OpenBSD yet, still building programs....

But if I do decide to try Arch, will your files work with my 3200?

Thanks,

Mark
greguu
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Oct 8 2015, 04:48 AM) *
Hi daalnroti

Thanks,

Mark

I can not confirm, but I am confident that C3200 will work.
ArchiMark
QUOTE(daalnroti @ Oct 7 2015, 09:06 PM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Oct 8 2015, 04:48 AM) *
Hi daalnroti

Thanks,

Mark

I can not confirm, but I am confident that C3200 will work.

Understand.....thanks for your input...
greguu
These are some examples to help you going. No guarantee these work in all circumstances. Just as a guideline.

Kexecboot :

Create a file boot.cfg in /boot on you ALARM partition if you need a boot menu entry for dual boot etc.
Make sure to change your root= entry to match your setup.

Example:
CODE
LABEL=ArchLinux
KERNEL=/boot/zImage-3.11.3-c3x00
APPEND=root=/dev/sda3 rootfstype=ext3 fbcon=rotate:1 noinitrd loglevel=3 pxa27x_maxfreq=624

LABEL=Debian
KERNEL=/boot/zImage-2.6.36-rc3
APPEND=console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/hda1 rootfstype=ext3 console=tty1 noinitrd  fbcon=rotate:1  debug dyntick=enable

fstab :

Make sure to change to your file system type, and root device /dev/hdax etc

Example:
CODE
/dev/hda3               /               ext3 noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,reservation,defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
greguu
Some more info for the curious:

boot log dmesg 3.11.3-c3x00-arch on C3100:

CODE
[    0.573342] 0x000000140000-0x000000800000 : "Boot PROM Filesystem"
[    0.580806] NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Samsung NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit), 128MiB, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64
[    0.580922] Scanning device for bad blocks
[    0.631902] 3 cmdlinepart partitions found on MTD device sharpsl-nand
[    0.631945] Creating 3 MTD partitions on "sharpsl-nand":
[    0.631989] 0x000000000000-0x000000700000 : "smf"
[    0.637892] 0x000000700000-0x000002700000 : "root"
[    0.643755] 0x000002700000-0x000008000000 : "home"
[    0.651137] hdlc: HDLC support module revision 1.22
[    0.651262] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[    0.651290] ehci_hcd: block sizes: qh 64 qtd 96 itd 160 sitd 96
[    0.652402] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[    0.652452] ohci_hcd: block sizes: ed 64 td 64
[    0.652666] In ohci_hcd_pxa27x_drv_probe
[    0.652983] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: PXA27x OHCI
[    0.653129] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    0.653269] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: irq 3, io mem 0x4c000000
[    0.653295] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: ohci_pxa27x_start, ohci:c3afc4d8
[    0.653465] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: created debug files
[    0.712511] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: OHCI controller state
[    0.712580] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: OHCI 1.0, NO legacy support registers, rh state running
[    0.712619] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: control 0x083 HCFS=operational CBSR=3
[    0.712647] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: cmdstatus 0x00000 SOC=0
[    0.712680] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: intrstatus 0x00000004 SF
[    0.712711] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: intrenable 0x8000005a MIE RHSC UE RD WDH
[    0.712736] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: hcca frame #0009
[    0.712771] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: roothub.a 04001202 POTPGT=4 NOCP NPS NDP=2(3)
[    0.712797] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: roothub.b 00000000 PPCM=0000 DR=0000
[    0.712827] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: roothub.status 00008000 DRWE
[    0.712864] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: roothub.portstatus [0] 0x00000100 PPS
[    0.712895] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: roothub.portstatus [1] 0x00000100 PPS
[    0.712927] pxa27x-ohci pxa27x-ohci: roothub.portstatus [2] 0x00000100 PPS
[    0.713110] usb usb1: default language 0x0409
[    0.713182] usb usb1: udev 1, busnum 1, minor = 0
[    0.713212] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0001
[    0.713238] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    0.713261] usb usb1: Product: PXA27x OHCI
[    0.713283] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 3.11.3-c3x00 ohci_hcd
[    0.713305] usb usb1: SerialNumber: pxa27x
[    0.715507] usb usb1: usb_probe_device
[    0.715567] usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[    0.715701] usb usb1: adding 1-0:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
[    0.716849] hub 1-0:1.0: usb_probe_interface
[    0.716893] hub 1-0:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
[    0.716921] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    0.717023] hub 1-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
[    0.717046] hub 1-0:1.0: standalone hub
[    0.717065] hub 1-0:1.0: no power switching (usb 1.0)
[    0.717086] hub 1-0:1.0: no over-current protection
[    0.717109] hub 1-0:1.0: power on to power good time: 8ms
[    0.717195] hub 1-0:1.0: 180mA bus power budget for each child
[    0.717228] hub 1-0:1.0: local power source is good
[    0.717485] hub 1-0:1.0: trying to enable port power on non-switchable hub
[    0.719822] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
[    0.721353] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    0.723558] input: matrix-keypad as /devices/platform/matrix-keypad/input/input0
[    0.728793] pxa-rtc pxa-rtc: rtc core: registered pxa-rtc as rtc0
[    0.730848] APM Battery Driver
[    0.734017] PXA CPU 27x max frequency not defined (pxa27x_maxfreq), assuming pxa271 with 416000kHz maxfreq
[    0.734076] PXA CPU frequency change support initialized
[    0.794110] ledtrig-cpu: registered to indicate activity on CPUs
[    0.797497] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[    0.797533] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[    0.808392] soc-audio soc-audio: ASoC: machine Spitz should use snd_soc_register_card()
[    0.815143] hub 1-0:1.0: state 7 ports 3 chg 0000 evt 0000
[    0.884205] mmc0: new SDHC card at address aaaa
[    0.886253] mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SD04G 3.79 GiB
[    0.889989]  mmcblk0: p1
[    1.304623] pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket0: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
[    1.308715] pcmcia 0.0: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0 (IRQ: 201)
[    1.314702] pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket1: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 1
[    1.319517] pcmcia 1.0: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia1.0 (IRQ: 202)
[    1.369945] scsi0 : pata_pcmcia
[    1.372078] ata1: PATA max PIO0 cmd 0xc4880000 ctl 0xc488000e irq 202
[    1.545011] ata1.00: CFA: HMS360404D5CF00, DN4SCA2A, max PIO4
[    1.545063] ata1.00: 7999488 sectors, multi 0: LBA
[    1.822474] soc-audio soc-audio:  wm8750-hifi <-> pxa2xx-i2s mapping ok
[    1.830083] TCP: cubic registered
[    1.830625] XScale iWMMXt coprocessor detected.
[    1.841233] input: gpio-keys as /devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input1
[    1.843996] pxa-rtc pxa-rtc: setting system clock to 2000-01-01 07:11:19 UTC (946710679)
[    1.844230] ALSA device list:
[    1.844245]   #0: Spitz
[    2.684995] ata1.00: configured for PIO0
[    2.686431] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      HMS360404D5CF00  DN4S PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[    2.691239] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7999488 512-byte logical blocks: (4.09 GB/3.81 GiB)
[    2.693255] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    2.693317] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[    2.694157] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    2.704233] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[    2.725683]  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
[    2.736186] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[    2.791667] EXT3-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode
[    2.791847] VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly on device 8:3.
[    2.792338] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
[    2.848378] devtmpfs: mounted
[    2.849349] Freeing unused kernel memory: 172K (c04dd000 - c0508000)
[    7.463956] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[    7.714201] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 6 2015, 08:14 AM) *
but yesterday I ordered a SparkLAN WCFM-100 because thats faster and supports 802.11g so that should arrive in the next couple of days. Might you make another kernel release with more PCMCIA wifi (and PCMCIA ethernet) drivers included? That would be handy as it must take an age to compile the kernel on the Z!

Let me know if you can get the new card to work.

It would be very interesting what throughput you can achieve with that card.

My Buffalo CF LAN is 10mbit only, the DLINK 660W 802.11b and with a USB 100mbit LAN adapter I get still not more than 750KB/s to the internal 4GB MicroDrive (via SSH) and about 850KB/s to a class 4 SD card via the USB1.1 port. Please give some benchmarks with your 32GB CF card too.

Cheers!
danboid
Hi daalnroti!

Great to see you've got the new kernel config up before my new gear arrives! I was hoping it might arrive yesterday but that was the absolute earliest they could've arrived. Stuff arriving today is more realistic.

I have failed to find a photo guide to swapping out the C3x00 MD drive but there is at least one thread on here discussing the process and it sounds pretty straightforward, if a bit fiddly.

We're never going to get more than about 1MB/s via the USB port as thats what USB 1 tops out at. Its not much but that should suffice for acceptable tethering speeds, if it will work over USB OTG 1? Did you check the USB tethering stuff was enabled? Of course, CF will achieve much faster rattes so I may get more than that with my new wifi card and lets see how fast the CF memory card is. I'll be sure to get some before and after boot times and transfer rates for the drives.

Shame about the newer kernel. I'm very interested to see what the newest we can get to run is.

Seeing as I'll have physical access to my new CF card, I'll be writing ALARM to it via my laptops USB CF reader, if it can read it! I'll be formatting it as ext4 as I'm pretty sure kexecboot supports ext4. I think you can tell fstab / mount to mount ext3 partitions as ext4 without reformatting drives anyway.

Thanks!
greguu
QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 8 2015, 08:35 AM) *
Hi daalnroti!

Great to see you've got the new kernel config up before my new gear arrives! I was hoping it might arrive yesterday but that was the absolute earliest they could've arrived. Stuff arriving today is more realistic.

I have failed to find a photo guide to swapping out the C3x00 MD drive but there is at least one thread on here discussing the process and it sounds pretty straightforward, if a bit fiddly.

We're never going to get more than about 1MB/s via the USB port as thats what USB 1 tops out at. That should should suffice for acceptable tethering speeds, if that will work over USB OTG 1? Did you check the USB tethering stuff was enabled? Of course, CF will achieve much faster rattes so I may get more than that with my new wifi card and lets see how fast the CF memory card is. I'll be sure to get some before and after boot times and transfer rates for the drives.

Shame about the newer kernel. I'm very interested to see what the newest we can get to run is.

Seeing as I'll have physical access to my new CF card, I'll be writing ALARM to it via my laptops USB CF reader, if it can read it! I'll be formatting it as ext4 as I'm pretty sure kexecboot supports ext4. I think you can tell fstab / mount to mount ext3 partitions as ext4 without reformatting drives anyway.

Thanks!

Hi danboid,

there must be some photo guides somewhere on google cache. I am sure I saw some not too long ago.
take care when doing it, do not break your Z smile.gif

Sure, USB1 has it limits, but with the card you ordered, higher speed might be possible.

I will give my best to get a new kernel going, but saying that, 3.11.3 is stable and does what is should do.smile.gif

Let me know how you go with WiFi and the rebuild kernel.

Cheers!
greguu
and yes, I enabled everything needed for the tethering you mentioned. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.