Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big announcement on 5th November
OESF Portables Forum > Model Specific Forums > Gemini PDA > Gemini PDA - General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Jeffers
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE GEMINI PDA.

THANK YOU FOR BELIEVING IN THE PLANET COMPUTERS TEAM.

THANK YOU FOR HELPING MAKE OUR VISION A REALITY.

On behalf of the team at Planet Computers we want to take this opportunity to say thank you. Without you, the Gemini community, we could not have come as far as we have in the last 18 months.

It has been an amazing journey and one we are so glad you joined us on. We want you to know just how grateful we are for all your support - whether backing us on Indiegogo, buying a Gemini from our website or engaging with us on social media and beyond.

That’s why we want you to be the first to know that we will be making a BIG announcement on 5th November regarding the next chapter in the Planet Computers journey.

So look out for our social media posts and check our website on the day because we don’t think you’ll want to miss this.

LET'S JUST SAY THE NEWS IS 'OUT OF THIS WORLD'...

So, what do you think is this big news? (Have they, perhaps, shipped my connectivity pack...)
smapmap
QUOTE(Jeffers @ Oct 30 2018, 10:15 AM) *
So, what do you think is this big news? (Have they, perhaps, shipped my connectivity pack...)

Sounds like a new product launch??
FredL

Actually, I'm quite curious to know what this is... A new product would be great - maybe a "netbook" style device? "next chapter" could indicate that Planet have been bought (by Microsoft?)...
smapmap
Yeah - next chapter sounds significant. Thought change was in the air when Robin left.
Maybe they are renaming themselves Psion Computers?? smile.gif
gidds
QUOTE(FredL @ Oct 30 2018, 10:54 AM) *
A new product would be great - maybe a "netbook" style device? "next chapter" could indicate that Planet have been bought (by Microsoft?)...

Mmm.  When I saw the announcement, I hoped for a new product launch, but I feared a buy-out…

The wording of the announcement makes me suspect the latter sad.gif
Dixit
QUOTE(gidds @ Oct 30 2018, 01:39 PM) *
QUOTE(FredL @ Oct 30 2018, 10:54 AM) *
A new product would be great - maybe a "netbook" style device? "next chapter" could indicate that Planet have been bought (by Microsoft?)...

Mmm.  When I saw the announcement, I hoped for a new product launch, but I feared a buy-out…

The wording of the announcement makes me suspect the latter sad.gif

Jups.

My first reaction was "Owww.... sh?t ! "

But hey... who knows ? Perhaps it is indeed a positive announcement. After all... Planet hasn't been too great with marketing anyway.
So a message that scares the sh?t out of their loyal customers is indeed very vintage Planet.
andrewl
I'm going to speculate a buyout of the product by a Chinese company who currently produce the phone innards. They may not get the appeal of the PSionesque keyboard and replace it with something cheaper and all hope will be lost.
A startup like Planet doesn't have the necessary mass to survive on its won.
andrewl
QUOTE(Jeffers @ Oct 30 2018, 01:15 AM) *

I had a long wait for a connectivity pack, in the end I emailed them to remind them and received the items within a week.

ehasbrouck
QUOTE(Jeffers @ Oct 30 2018, 02:15 AM) *
(Have they, perhaps, shipped my connectivity pack...)

I ordered a connectivity pack in May (Indiegogo perk #8025). I just received 2 of 3 items: the HDMI dongle and the UCB-C hub. When I e-mailed to ask about the missing 3rd item, the mains adapter, I was told that the mains adapter with US plug is currently out of stock. I had actually requested a mains adapter with EU plug (to use when travelling), and that is supposedly in stock and now being shipped.
bzd
Hadn't thought about a buyout... would probably be a shame, but you never know, the new owners might want to fund a new product.

My thought is it will be an announcement about Sailfish 3 or Android Oreo as they trailered previously (in fact they said there'd be an announcement about Sailfish soon in the last update).
hk135
Maybe fully supported by the upstream linux kernel!

aaaaaahahahaha
Mr Rimmer
Non-mediatek motherbaord swappable for the current one? ;-)
Pete G.
Well, we can probably expect fireworks....!

(Somebody had to say it. tongue.gif )
Dixit
QUOTE(ehasbrouck @ Oct 30 2018, 04:41 PM) *
QUOTE(Jeffers @ Oct 30 2018, 02:15 AM) *
(Have they, perhaps, shipped my connectivity pack...)

I ordered a connectivity pack in May (Indiegogo perk #8025). I just received 2 of 3 items: the HDMI dongle and the UCB-C hub. When I e-mailed to ask about the missing 3rd item, the mains adapter, I was told that the mains adapter with US plug is currently out of stock. I had actually requested a mains adapter with EU plug (to use when travelling), and that is supposedly in stock and now being shipped.

Ha !
I ordered a US plug (for my travels) and I got an EU one.

Good that I did not have any travel plans to the US for the next upcoming months.
andrewl
QUOTE(bzd @ Oct 30 2018, 07:52 AM) *
Hadn't thought about a buyout... would probably be a shame, but you never know, the new owners might want to fund a new product.

My thought is it will be an announcement about Sailfish 3 or Android Oreo as they trailered previously (in fact they said there'd be an announcement about Sailfish soon in the last update).

If it is Sailfish 3 then I will be as happy as Larry (not Ellison).
Ifanafi
Ummm....

Neither "next chapter" nor the almost giddy "... out of this world!" are Team Planet speak. They are, after all, a mostly BRITISH (typically reserved) group IMHO.

That said, the anticipated and presently expected Sailfish (and then OREO) upgrades DO NOT frankly rise to the inherent, implicit inferences one can read into those rather hyperbolic word choices.

Nevertheless, both suggest something hugely unexpected such as EITHER the sale of Planet (aka a buyout of its stakeholders) OR a significant cash-infusion partnership / investor / investment that will take Planet's Gemini to stunning / sky-high / stratospheric or 'out of this world' new heights (and all that suggests).

Whatever it is all about, I surely hope the announcement is only great news for we Gemini test-pilot astronauts.

Ifanafi

P.S. One wonder's why Robin left the company; did he disagree with the team's decision and/or was he out voted by other stakeholders?

By the way, "...out of this world!" was said by actor Bryan Cranston playing NASA astronaut Gus Grissom during "The Hollywood Television Showcase" TV show scenes in the 1996 hit movie "That Thing You Do!"
vader
QUOTE(andrewl @ Oct 31 2018, 05:22 AM) *
If it is Sailfish 3 then I will be as happy as Larry (not Ellison).

+1 there! I would even accept Curly, or Mo.
zsalab2
Or simply they will start a new indiegogo campaign...
Artemys
...maybe they bought the failed Youyota campaign and plan to finish it biggrin.gif
andrewl
QUOTE(Ifanafi @ Oct 30 2018, 11:59 AM) *
Ummm....

Neither "next chapter" nor the almost giddy "... out of this world!" are Team Planet speak. They are, after all, a mostly BRITISH (typically reserved) group IMHO.

Stereotyping aside, I don't think Janko, Davide or Erkan are native British. They are typically London which is a city of the world and as international as you can get.
depscribe
Though it scarcely justifies such language (nothing short of them giving each backer a million dollars would do that), Sailfish 3 has gotten its first release today, and in the release notes https://together.jolla.com/question/191509/...300-lemmenjoki/ there is mention of "improved support for MediaTek chipsets." Sailfish users signed up for their early release group are receiving SFOS 3 beginning today, with general availability coming next week. It would be nice if Planet were to pick up the tab for the full-boat SFOS 3, including aliendalvik, for all of us, but I very much doubt that that'll happen. Though it would help justify the marketing language.

Though my nickel is on the announcement of Gemini II or whatever they call it. The way GPD announced the Pocket II (which I don't like at all as well as I do the Pocket -- the pointing device is AFU).
GregG
Is it the release of the bootloader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP9Ome_V0Ek

Out of work atm. This is what happens when your trawling youtube day in, day out. Had a double take when they mentioned newish version of Ubuntu ohmy.gif. Im like wahhht!
gymbo

But I thought we were actually discussing the "Big announcement on 5th November, and not language...

Staying mostly on topic, and with reference to the wording "OUT OF THIS WORLD", it could be that someone in Planet Computers has had an encounter with some alien race, and are going to share some of their technology with us... (Or it could be some part manufactured/developed in space??!)

(No, I don't really think that, but it would justify the wording laugh.gif wink.gif )
Tom D
I predict the next version will be Turing complete...
Dixit
It would indeed be rather Psion-esque to already trigger a take-over or something else managerese which will lead to their own entrepreneurial suicide.

Original Psion went down the drain in that way.
The only survivor - Symbian - is now dead as well.
hk135
Maybe the Linux distros they demoed pre-release are actually fully functioning an available on the device now

aaaaaaahahahahaha
smapmap
A bit of an emphasis on 'out of this world & given the company is called Planet I think we might be looking at their next PDA - the Planet Saturn.
depscribe
QUOTE(smapmap @ Nov 2 2018, 08:33 AM) *
A bit of an emphasis on 'out of this world & given the company is called Planet I think we might be looking at their next PDA - the Planet Saturn.

Yes. That they've managed to get the Saturn homescreen realtime background application running, as here!

Click to view attachment
gemini_user_j
QUOTE(depscribe @ Nov 2 2018, 02:33 PM) *
QUOTE(smapmap @ Nov 2 2018, 08:33 AM) *

Yes. That they've managed to get the Saturn homescreen realtime background application running, as here!

Saturn would be cool,

here is some more inspiration for guessing which planets may give names to new devices:

But you would probably have to know something about zodiacs to make any qualified guessing wink.gif
One day left till we know for sure. Also I just updated my Gemini with multi boot and have been stuck on a boot loop. oh the fun.
gymbo
It probably has something to do with this
http://igg.me/at/gogocosmo
link that appeared on their homepage now (haven't checked it lately, so it might have been there a while???)?

It redirects to:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator

Which again gives this "error" currently:
Where did it go?

The page you are looking for is currently in "DRAFT" mode and hidden from the public. Please contact the campaign owner if you feel this is in error!

So probably "just" a new version???
andrewl
QUOTE(gymbo @ Nov 4 2018, 06:06 PM) *
link that appeared on their homepage now (haven't checked it lately, so it might have been there a while???)?

It redirects to:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator

Which again gives this "error" currently:
Where did it go?

The page you are looking for is currently in "DRAFT" mode and hidden from the public. Please contact the campaign owner if you feel this is in error!

So probably "just" a new version???

A device called a Cosmo then... maybe. Going to be an interesting day.
bibille
QUOTE(andrewl @ Nov 5 2018, 07:21 AM) *
A device called a Cosmo then... maybe. Going to be an interesting day.

It's open....
With a 7-inch screen I would have bought it right away...
a1astair
Not impressed by how the Cosmo looks.....

24MP camera and no flash???

Happy with my Gemini thank you very much!
FredL
QUOTE(gymbo @ Nov 4 2018, 06:06 PM) *

I'm pleased that this is a new product, and not a buyout. It looks good, and I wish Planet every success with this. I wonder if they will retire the Gemini, or keep both products for sale? If they implemented the backlit keyboard with the next gen Gemini, then I'll buy one straight away!
andrewl
Hmmm,

Nothing on there that would make much of an improvement over Gemini for my use. Because my Gemini has a dedicated role and is not my main phone, Cosmo will be more appealing to people who want to use it as their main phone.
A better screen that used all of the the clamshell lid area might have sold me. However...

Some of the folk who delivered the Gemini are no longer at Planet. One person who failed to deliver Vega + is.
$200K is not enough, though I am sure they will raise far more anyway.
May 2019, no chance.
Still Android focused. I hope a new device doesn't mean neglected Gemini. Unfortunately I think my hope will be in vain.
Never go early bird and get the first off the production line....

So probably not for me. But on the positive side:

Good to see Planet still in the business
The device seems to be addressing a lot of things that people did ask for.
Android 9 Pie will please a lot of people.
Possibility P70 will support accelerated Debian.

salvomic
Cosmo, for me, for now it can wait...
I hope they don't neglect Gemini and its software development.

Salvo
Artemys
Would it be pink, could it be advertised in the Cosmopolitan for geek girls wink.gif
Anyway it would be nice to see some pics about it, how it looks like in the dark.
jornada720
Why put a camera on it but no flash?

Why the ugly triple colors on the back?

Why all the buttons to ruin the clean lines?

No thanks.
hk135
Cosmo using the Mediatek P70 with "Linux Support"

Is linux really supported or will it be the same half assed linux userland with android kernel that can't be updated?

Given the state of Linux on the Gemini I'm not hopeful.
andrewl
Looks like the $200K target is going to be achieved easily today, perhaps by noon GMT.

I think crowdfunders deliberately undersell the funding goal to make it feel more achievable. They must be expecting over $1 million because $200K doesn't go very far in manufacturing.
paoloe
Gemini all the way for me as well.

The backlit keyboard is a nice touch, but as far as I'm concerned it could never replace my main phone (and to perfectly honest I can't figure myself walking around with a thing that size stuck to my ear laugh.gif ohmy.gif); my Gemini does well everything I need it to do, and I too just hope this new product won't put the Gemini out of business.....

BTW, do they really think someone still believe it when they read "estimated delivery date"? laugh.gif laugh.gif
jornada720
QUOTE(paoloe @ Nov 5 2018, 05:34 AM) *
Gemini all the way for me as well.

The backlit keyboard is a nice touch, but as far as I'm concerned it could never replace my main phone (and to perfectly honest I can't figure myself walking around with a thing that size stuck to my ear laugh.gif ohmy.gif); my Gemini does well everything I need it to do, and I too just hope this new product won't put the Gemini out of business.....

I hope they at least made the keys quieter and easier to press.

That and the half finished Linux support are my biggest gripes. No one likes LXQt compared to GNOME or KDE. Xfce would be bare minimum.
Jeffers
At that price, I can't say it's very enticing. I'd like to have a proper camera on my Gemini, but not enough to fork out that much.
smapmap
QUOTE(a1astair @ Nov 5 2018, 09:53 AM) *
Not impressed by how the Cosmo looks.....

24MP camera and no flash???

Happy with my Gemini thank you very much!

There is a flash - according to the promotional video
Gadgetman!
I wouldn't mind a faster CPU and more storage, but...

Backlight keyboard, external 2" LCD and all that malarkey is just fluff.

I just want a machine that first in my pocket, has a good keyobard and can handle my desktop files.

As for the name...

I'm not certain what that the theme is supposed to be here?

The Gemini was the second series of manned programs. But Saturn wasn't a Program. It was the rocket.
The rocket used in the Gemini program was the Titan II, sometimes also called the Gemini-Titan.
And if they picked Gemini as the name of their first because it was the second program, and 'Psion was first', then they really should stick to the Gemini name until they at least have a platform change.

gidds
QUOTE(Gadgetman! @ Nov 5 2018, 12:17 PM) *
if they picked Gemini as the name of their first because it was the second program

I've never heard that.  I assumed it was on the theme of ‘twins’ (like the constellation): the combination of screen and keyboard, two halves, is sufficiently unusual these days that it was worth putting right there in the name.

That's why I'm surprised that the new device doesn't include ‘Gemini’ somewhere in its name, as it looks basically like a Gemini 2: upgraded innards and new external features, but basically the same device made newer and better.

…which is exactly what I want!

Has anyone seen any downsides of the new device (except, obviously, for the cost and uncertainty over timescales)?  It's almost 1mm thicker, though presumably that's only in the centre where it's less noticeable.  It has the same battery, so maybe it won't drive the upgraded processor and external screen for quite so long?  Possible teething problems with Android 9 and the new hardware?

But if you were looking to get a Gemini, once the Cosmo is available, will there be any reason not to get a that instead?
Varti
QUOTE(gidds @ Nov 5 2018, 02:29 PM) *
Has anyone seen any downsides of the new device (except, obviously, for the cost and uncertainty over timescales)?  It's almost 1mm thicker, though presumably that's only in the centre where it's less noticeable.  It has the same battery, so maybe it won't drive the upgraded processor and external screen for quite so long?  Possible teething problems with Android 9 and the new hardware?

But if you were looking to get a Gemini, once the Cosmo is available, will there be any reason not to get a that instead?

Good point. The only downside I can think of is its price, at the moment the Cosmo is more expensive. Also, the Gemini might be sold at a discounted price next year, when the Cosmo will start to be shipped. Anyway I believe the Cosmo is meant as a replacement of the Gemini, so once it will be available for sale, the Gemini will be probably already discontinued.

Varti
andrewl
QUOTE(gidds @ Nov 5 2018, 05:29 AM) *

Three Geminis have been backed on IndieGogo in the last week. I wonder if Planet will offer them an transfer to Cosmo. I would be vexed myself as they are about the same price.

Time to pull the Gemini campaign from IGG.

RSS
It's a huge missed opportunity to have a bigger touchscreen on the back (when closed), so then you can use it like an actual smartphone, and when you need to use the keyboard, you could open the clamshell. This would have sold it to me personally.

That's my biggest issue with the Gemini (and this new Cosmo), it's just awkward to open it up for quick usage. It's especially awkward for any vertical usage, as the keyboard loses functionality and there is no ergonomics.

A smartphone is a quicker device for checking anything and the keyboard doesn't get in your way, which is probably why nobody is producing phones with keyboards these days. Even the last phones with them had slider keyboards that were hidden very well.

Having essentially dual screens could have made these two devices appeal to so many more consumers, it would have justified the very hefty price that the Cosmo goes for (even with a damn 31% off sale).
When you're not using the keyboard, it's a hindrance. It's what makes the Gemini PDA a really niche item. Giving the user a way to ignore it when not in use would have been great, it's another reason why everyone uses detachable bluetooth keyboards.

Also sore to see a lack of any pointing devices. A ThinkPad style trackpoint would have been a good addition, especially for the Linux users who aren't glued to a shell and terminal emulator unlike me.

I hope the third revision (if it comes around!) does my suggestions. A bit disappointed with the Cosmo Communicator, as nobody with a Gemini (the main audience) has a reason outside of backlighting to purchase it; however, it's a great step in the right direction, since these are the only people making smartphones with full proper keyboards!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.