Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Android 8.1 for the Gemini to be available later this week
OESF Portables Forum > Model Specific Forums > Gemini PDA > Gemini PDA - Android OS
Pages: 1, 2
Varti
Mike Halsey has released a new article on GeminiPlanet about the upcoming Android 8.1 release for the Gemini PDA, describing some of the new features that will debut on this version.

"Android 8.1 is expected to be available as an over-the-air (OTA) update later this week, with a download available for manual installation on rooted, or dual-boot devices soon afterwards."

https://geminiplanet.com/planet-release-and...r-the-gemini-2/

Varti
Daniel W
QUOTE(Varti @ Apr 9 2019, 08:22 AM) *
Mike Halsey has released a new article on GeminiPlanet about the upcoming Android 8.1 release for the Gemini PDA

Thanks a lot for the link. It's kind of sad that Planet keeps being so pathologically unable to timely tell when and why there are delays, which WILL happen, when duly telling is so cheap, also in the short term, and failing to do so, is so potentially expensive. I would so much like to be able to recommend Planet Computers to every IT person I know, but when the company can't even send basic messages properly, I am forced to limit myself to maybe telling a few of my most patient friends. Sigh.
rodgos
Has this update happened yet? I check with my Gemini, now and then, but it's still insisting that 7.1 is the current system. On my machine, as you might have noticed, I've rooted, unrooted, re-rooted, multi booted and finally resigned to the standard andoid, I'm not sure whether my system can be called a standard machine, or whether it's a non-rooted rooted machine.
graynada
QUOTE(rodgos @ Apr 23 2019, 02:05 AM) *
Has this update happened yet? I check with my Gemini, now and then, but it's still insisting that 7.1 is the current system. On my machine, as you might have noticed, I've rooted, unrooted, re-rooted, multi booted and finally resigned to the standard andoid, I'm not sure whether my system can be called a standard machine, or whether it's a non-rooted rooted machine.

lol no! In October it was by the end of the year, on 18 Mar it was within 2 weeks, on 9 Apr it was this week. Think of it more as by the end of a year, a week....
Varti
Mike (who has been given a beta of 8.1) said that he has found some issues in it (like minor rendering problems), I hope they' re spending this additional time to iron these problems out.

Varti
rodgos
Thanks, lads. It recalls, to me, that great British saying, "Is it just me, or......."
gemini_user_j
looks like it will be available by the end of the month.

Indiegogo update 70: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-p...74#/updates/all
Murple2
QUOTE(gemini_user_j @ Apr 26 2019, 04:33 PM) *

Indiegogo update 70: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-p...74#/updates/all

Lol, but which month?
Varti
Good that they have fixed a number of last-minute bugs, better to do this now than after the release of the update. Next Monday a limited number of Wifi/LTE devices should receive the update... fingers crossed!

Varti
graynada
QUOTE(Varti @ Apr 27 2019, 06:30 AM) *
Next Monday a limited number of Wifi/LTE devices should receive the update... fingers crossed!

Varti

Or if I wanted to be really cynical does this sound like a limited release in case further bugs emerge? I don't know anything about release firmware updates but I am struggling to come up with a technical reason (or method how to!) why you would do this other than the split between processor types, but PC have stated the limited release will cover both X25 and X27s.
gemini_user_j
QUOTE(Murple2 @ Apr 26 2019, 10:40 AM) *

Lol, but which month?

well, this time the news came directly from planet computers, the link in the first post is from an independent fanpage.
graynada
QUOTE(gemini_user_j @ Apr 28 2019, 12:07 PM) *
QUOTE(Murple2 @ Apr 26 2019, 10:40 AM) *

Lol, but which month?

well, this time the news came directly from planet computers, the link in the first post is from an independent fanpage.

True but PC have also directly said in the same update page 'by the end of the year' meaning last year, and most recently, 5 weeks ago, within 2 weeks, so hence the humorous question ????????
Dixit
You know, I am aware that I should stay Zen about start-ups missing their own deadlines.
Just be happy that the thing materialized. It is here, in my hands.

Nevertheless, the persistent messages stating "at the end of this year", "before Christmas", "at the end of this month", "next week", "Monday"....

WRRRAAAAGGGGHHH !

I guess this is British. It proceeds in the same way as the Brexit.
Murple2
QUOTE(Dixit @ Apr 28 2019, 12:07 PM) *
I guess this is British. It proceeds in the same way as the Brexit.

Lol. I want to be offended but I cant really argue with your assessment. I am reminded of a quotation from the late great Douglas Adams -
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by"
rodgos
Well, the latest deadline has 'whooshed' by and nothing seems to have happened. Has anyone seen this rare beast, in the field?
gemini_user_j
QUOTE(graynada @ Apr 28 2019, 03:38 AM) *
True but PC have also directly said in the same update page 'by the end of the year' meaning last year, and most recently, 5 weeks ago, within 2 weeks, so hence the humorous question ????????

Seems you have a good intuition wink.gif ... I just came across this announcement of 1 week delay:

QUOTE(facebook)
UPDATE: A few Gemini users have now received the Android 8.1 update following the planned limited release on Monday (29th April). The initial feedback is positive but with Chinese Labor celebrations (1st -4th May) this week meaning staff are not at work, the full release of Oreo – to ALL Gemini 4G backers – will take place next Monday morning.

We know you have all waited patiently for this update and that is why we have been determined to make it a success. We are so grateful for the support of the Gemini community.

http://www.facebook.com/planetcom/posts/1277411299079065
DJO
QUOTE(gemini_user_j @ May 1 2019, 05:37 PM) *
the full release of Oreo – to ALL Gemini 4G backers – will take place next Monday morning.

I'll believe that when it happens, Monday (6th May) is a bank holiday in the UK.
rodgos
Ah, then I'll stop wearing out the hinges on my Gemini, opening it up to check whether the boat has come in, or not.
Varti
Oreo is finally here! Me and a couple of guys on the Telegram #Gemini PDA channel are now downloading it. To check for the update, go to Settings / About Phone / Firmware update, and remember you have to use a Wifi connection to download it.

UPDATE: the download is now stuck at ~390MB, maybe the server is overloaded due to too many requests.

Varti
rodgos
Well, I'm pleased that I'm not the only one!. My update has got to 359.36MB and the progress bar title changed to PauseDownload. And there it's stuck for the past fifteen minutes. What does one do now? It's usually accorded a no-no to stop an update in progress.

Ah, a change. The screen has gone black, and the machine appears to have turned itself off. The only sign of life appears to be the red led light in the lid. I do wish that updates came with just a little more information.
Varti
I'm still stuck at "PauseDownload", I'm now trying to reboot again, fingers crossed...

EDIT: Someone on Facebook has suggested (at your own risk!) to delete the Firmware Update app's cache to trigger again the download. I have tried it, but now the download is stuck at 69MB, anyway if anyone would like to try it too: go to Settings > Apps > dots menu (top right) Show System > find Firmware Update > Storage > Clear Data.

Varti
inspectorman
QUOTE(Varti @ May 6 2019, 10:54 AM) *
I'm still stuck at "PauseDownload", I'm now trying to reboot again, fingers crossed...

EDIT: Someone on the Facebook has suggested (at your own risk!) to delete the Firmware Update app's cache to trigger again the download. I have tried it, but now the download is stuck at 69MB, anyway if anyone would like to try it too: go to Settings > Apps > dots menu (top right) Show System > find Firmware Update > Storage > Clear Data.

First attempt ground to a halt after 350 or so MB. No change for an hour. Rebooted and followed this idea. Storage stated only 475KB but cleared it anyway. Off we went again with the download - now stopped at 69MB. Sigh.
inspectorman
145MB this time before it stopped. "Connect to the server is unusual. Please test again."
Varti
(Hi inspectorman and welcome!)

Same here, after some further attempts, the download now doesn't even start anymore sad.gif

Varti
bloblo
Aww, that sounds annoying. Hope they figure it out soon, whatever issue the server has!

Anyone knows when the partitioner image will be updated for us rooted guys?
rodgos
Lol. And I thought that Apple were the only people who could brick their own product with an update!
Beiriannydd
I think that there will be a lot of unhappy folk. The OTA Update only works for non-rooted, all partition Android. I am amazed that they’re are enough of those to cause server issues - unless everyone repartitioned to stock to update to Oreo as I did?
Beiriannydd
My advice to Davide would be to upload the file to S3 and put it behind Cloudfront CDN. This isn’t the sort of thing you want to serve from a computer under a desk.
Roger
Can anyone post instructions on how to update if we did repartition and use multiboot/root? I'm not seeing any updated firmware files via the official partition tool or support.planetcom.co.uk.
Daniel W
QUOTE(Roger @ May 6 2019, 06:09 PM) *
Can anyone post instructions on how to update if we did repartition and use multiboot/root? I'm not seeing any updated firmware files via the official partition tool or support.planetcom.co.uk.

According to https://geminiplanet.com/planet-release-and...or-the-gemini-2
"...files for manual installation on rooted, or dual-boot devices will be made available for download".
I'd presume this is supposed to happen once the OTA updates calms down a bit (as of writing this, the OTA server just seems choked).

Presumably the files will be put here: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Gemini_Firmware
That page then refers to: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/A..._Flashing_Guide
Disclaimer:I'm just a plain Android (plaindroid?) user, so I have no experience of my own with the above.
And, oh, Roger, I suppose you already knew where to look for the files. I included those links just in case other people doesn't know where to look.
MarkD
It seems borked because the update check tells the Gemini to download this missing file http://flare02.iofota.com/EASTAEON_FTPRO16...90429094213.zip
Beiriannydd
QUOTE(MarkD @ May 6 2019, 03:47 PM) *
It seems borked because the update check tells the Gemini to download this missing file http://flare02.iofota.com/EASTAEON_FTPRO16...90429094213.zip

That appears to be a CloudFlare served Chinese hosted origin server. The update has been removed now, hopefully we will be able to update this week...
MarkD
I was able to nab a copy https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WQpPidG_UE...ew?usp=drivesdk
greguu
QUOTE(MarkD @ May 7 2019, 04:12 PM) *

Hi Mark,

The updater on the Gemini failed the download and in the logcat I could find the cloudflare iofota.com host would time out or not respond.The Firmware Update app also thought it completed the download, but the file was incomplete. I can confirm that the updater now no longer offers the update. I was able to wget the file however. This is the SHA256SUM for my download (Gemini PDA 4G x27)

1431c21d98cd66b54cb753323eaca11a3d6a6bd28edabff412dfe546b5e50028

I wrote the file to a vfat SD card and renamed it to ota.zip.
Then I toggled a manual OTA via the SD card from the Firmware Updater tool within Android.The updater copied the file and performed the update. It worked fine and rebooted after a while to Oreo. I have not done much testing yet.

DISCLAIMER : Do this on your own risk on a stock Android layout only! Neither me or Planet Computer endorse this method or will provide support if something breaks.

Cheers,
Greg

https://imgur.com/a/GQ3RErJ
Eldkatten
Hello,

my Gemini (rooted) shows a firmware update notification, but I don't dare tapping on it, because I don't know what happens then. I don't want "Over-the-air"-updates, and as seen here, it fails anyway.

How do I get rid of the notification? And how can I prevent getting "OTA"-notifications in the future?

Thanks a lot, kind regards.

P.S.: Got the courage and tapped the notification. It only showed that the version I have (Gemini-7.1-Planet-31102018-V2.<2018-10-31 09:54>) is the newest one. Does it mean the OTA-update is revoked? Or does it mean that the device or the update process knows that the update isn't applicable, since the device is rooted? Why then give me a notification in the first place? Don't you just hate those intransparencies?

Remains the question how I prevent those (obviously useless) notifations in the future.
greguu
QUOTE(Eldkatten @ May 7 2019, 06:50 PM) *
Hello,

my Gemini (rooted) shows a firmware update notification, but I don't dare tapping on it, because I don't know what happens then. I don't want "Over-the-air"-updates, and as seen here, it fails anyway.

How do I get rid of the notification? And how can I prevent getting "OTA"-notifications in the future?

Thanks a lot, kind regards.

P.S.: Got the courage and tapped the notification. It only showed that the version I have (Gemini-7.1-Planet-31102018-V2.<2018-10-31 09:54>) is the newest one. Does it mean the OTA-update is revoked? Or does it mean that the device or the update process knows that the update isn't applicable, since the device is rooted? Why then give me a notification in the first place? Don't you just hate those intransparencies?

Remains the question how I prevent those (obviously useless) notifations in the future.

Yes, the update was revoked due to download bandwidth / connection issues it seems.
No idea about support for rooted or custom partition layouts. I would be careful. Maybe wait for Planet to post an update on the current situation.

The link above shows a way to manually update the Firmware from within stock Android for 4G x27 based devices.
sparkey
Just to say I've used MarkD's download and got my x27 Gemini 4G up onto 8.1. Slight worry on first reboot when only the left half of the screen displayed for the first part of the rotating planets, but it's fine now and Force Rotate seems to work OK. Seems to have remembered who I am, and my sign-in details for other apps.

Thanks MarkD.
bloblo
Doesn't the OTA updater verify the checksum before applying the update???

That sounds like a gigantic oversight if it doesn't
jerome
I also installed MarkD's download (after checking SHA256SUM). The OTA updater appears to also check some checksum.

The upgrade went without problems. After the update two new applications (keyboard apps, one is called "pinyin input", the other "indic keyboard") want access to my google account. I did not grant access.

Edit: Possibly, this is what caused the update revoke as no keyboard application should be granted vast permissions to use my google account.
Charlie Stross
Annoyed but not surprised that the download was revoked due to bandwidth issues.

From what I could see the 8.1 update was 1.05Gb in size. Assuming the updater does a straight file download rather than clever p2p trickery like BitTorrent, then given that Planet Computers have shipped at least 800 Geminis -- just by adding up the numbers on the Indiegogo page -- then they probably got hit by demand for on the order of a terabyte of bandwidth in a few hours. (I'm assuming everyone was checking for updates daily at this point …) As the number of backers on the campaign is over 7000, I suspect that's a better figure for shipments, in which case make it 8-10Tb of downloads. Which really does demand a CDN and some sort of careful planning before launch, rather than just dropping it on a web server and walking away.
Mithren Ithil
My OTA update got to ~74MB until it stopped yesterday.

Today the updater shows "New version found", but the rest of the info (PatchID, PatchSize, UpdateDate) is all blank.

The GUI seems to have hung and even the settings button doesn't work.

Tried restarting the app and the device, but still the same. Fingers crossed it fixes itself when they resolve the download server issues!
novaldex
My OTA had given up today, although last night I had set it to download automatically. This morning it said it had, but also said it was at the latest version & refused to do anything.

Successfully updated using the update above, thanks!

Off to test my audio issues..
Varti
I have also successfully flashed it, thanks MarkD for the file and greguu for the tips! On my Gemini I have not seen the "half screen" bug, the screen was working as expected already during the first boot. I have not seen any slowdown or any other type of issue, also apparently none of my settings or contact has been lost after the update.

AFAIK, this OTA update file is intended only for Wifi+4G users with the default, unrooted Android-only configuration, so better to wait for an official release for other devices/configurations.

Varti
Mithren Ithil
QUOTE(Varti @ May 6 2019, 10:54 AM) *

EDIT: Someone on Facebook has suggested (at your own risk!) to delete the Firmware Update app's cache to trigger again the download. I have tried it, but now the download is stuck at 69MB, anyway if anyone would like to try it too: go to Settings > Apps > dots menu (top right) Show System > find Firmware Update > Storage > Clear Data.

Varti

Thanks for this tip.

After clearing data the update app no longer hangs and I'm able to access settings etc. It now reports that there are no updates available, but at least it is reporting the current installed version!
gidds
QUOTE(bloblo @ May 7 2019, 09:37 AM) *
Doesn't the OTA updater verify the checksum before applying the update???

That sounds like a gigantic oversight if it doesn't

I think it does verify the checksum.  That's why the update fails on rooted Android, for example.
Varti
Sean Hoyt, one of the admins of the Gemini PDA channel on Telegram, has compiled himself a binary of the Oreo release from the released sources. Like the official OTA version, this unofficial release is also for Wifi+4G Geminis only, for devices with an x25 CPU (for x27 devices see below).
"First boot takes a bit, keep in mind this is unofficial so OTA will never work on it. This build is also the same as the release build, feature and fixes wise."
This version can be only flashed using the SPFlashtool. On Windows you'll have to unzip the archive using 7zip or WinRAR, since it has been compressed using the LZMA compression. Note that this version only works on x25 devices, but it can be flashed on x27 ones as well by using the Android 7's scatter file for X27 instead of the supplied one.
Sean has also stated that he'll consider a version for WiFi-only devices and/or a version without Google's services, no promises though.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1dfVer_ijC...mfkav30YSVyiymT

Note: use this version at your own risk! This release is unofficial, further OTA updates won't work on it. Please do not report any bugs to Planet or the build author while it is installed.

Thanks Sean for your effort!

Varti
Hitherwood
I got my update fine yesterday OTA. I did have to try about six times because of a server error.
Plain unrooted Android 4G system.
Daniel W
QUOTE(Hitherwood @ May 7 2019, 08:18 PM) *
I got my update fine yesterday OTA. I did have to try about six times because of a server error.
Plain unrooted Android 4G system.
That's reassuring, I think, as it seems to suggest the update itself is mostly OK and was pulled for other reasons than being faulty, say, bandwidth issues. That makes me hope, we won't have to wait all that long, before its online again.

On a slightly unrelated note, I got an update to Ledison (with 8.1 support) earlier today. That update was timestamped May 6, so it seems Planet Computers are doing SOMETHING, when they aren't busy not telling us what's going on ;-)
gemini_user_j
Just seen:
QUOTE(facebook/planetcom)
As many of you will know, this week’s planned Android 8.1 OTA update did not go as we intended and led to some of our customers struggling to update their Gemini PDA’s or other issues. For that, we are very sorry and we thank you for your patience.

A server issue with our over the air (OTA) firmware download partners is being resolved and several hundred Gemini users are now running Android Oreo. The OTA update will be available, but for users who wish to upgrade manually, we have also made the firmware update available for download on our official support website. This link is as follows: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/G...droid_8_Upgrade

Here you can find a step-by-step guide on how to update your Gemini PDA to Android 8.1 and some release notes on new features for Android 8.

Please also note that we have had reports that the NTT DoCoMo network in Japan is not detected by the Android 8 firmware. We are investigating as a priority and advise customers in the region using the NTT DoCoMo network to please wait to upgrade their Gemini until further information is provided.

We hope that you will enjoy the Android 8 Oreo system and thank you again for your patience and continued support.
- http://www.facebook.com/planetcom/posts/1282184601935068
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.