Author Topic: SFOS Whats working / What isn't  (Read 20260 times)

depscribe

• View Profile
SFOS Whats working / What isn't
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 09:57:14 pm »
Quote from: vader
Meganerd recompiled the terminal for gemini which rotated the display, but (like the original terminal) it has a problem with the cursor being graphically out of alignment with the text on long lines. I installed "toeterm" from openrepos and that doesn't have the cursor issue. I just checked and I didn't have to modify any qml either. If you ever want to modify qml, they exist in:

/usr/share/<package_name>[/qml]

eg. toeterm is:

/usr/share/toeterm/qml

You can modify the qml in there to change the look and feel. I always keep backups in case things go wrong. If things are upside down, just search for Landscape, or Orientation and change Landscape to LandscapeInverted.
Toeterm is great. Unlike the default terminal, it behaves as expected when one gives the exit command.

btw -- I mentioned Midnight Commander, a terminal-mode application for Linux written by Miguel de Icaza, the other day. Turns out, it's on OpenRepos also. For better than two decades the first thing I install on any Linux machine is mc. It's a real Swiss army knife.

Though it would be a lot more useful to me on Sailfish if I could figure whether/how F-keys are mapped, because many of the functions of mc are tied to function keys. I think we have them through Adam B's Linux keymap, but with the reflash I haven't even booted Linux yet, so I haven't upgraded, well, anything on that side, and I don't think the Linux keymap extends to Sailfish.

(Actually, does Sailfish share anything with a Linux installation? I figure not; otherwise we'd be able to do phone stuff from Linux.)
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

jovpov

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 05:20:56 am »
SailFishOS looks really promissing on my GeminiPDA, only problems are:

- wifi gets disconnected each  screen turnoff, so I have to go to settings utility, restart network?!
- I have installed MC from repo and it looks garbaged, no proper vertical lines nor screen refresh between changing folders, looks like some code page realted issue
- this forum is really fantastic but very hard to use on Gemini Sailfish OS, have to reload page several times in order to be able to click on a link?! some issue with browser... is there developer mode so I can check javascript issues?

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2018, 09:30:55 am »
Quote from: jovpov
- this forum is really fantastic but very hard to use on Gemini Sailfish OS, have to reload page several times in order to be able to click on a link?! some issue with browser... is there developer mode so I can check javascript issues?

The default, sailfish browser makes a bit of a mess when rendering the forums. It gets the size wrong, and you end up viewing a partial page. The easiest fix is to zoom in, then zoom out. You cant zoom out to the full page without first zooming in. Alternatively, install webcat - it is a webkit based browser and doesnt have the same problem. As far as clicking a link, if it is small you can zoom in to click, but the forum is working well on my gemini on the default browser once you know the zoom in, then out trick. I don't know about a developer mode, but you could always curl the page from the terminal. You can copy the address by clicking on the address bar, pressing ctrl-c, then going to the terminal, selecting the right menu/dot and clicking paste.

jovpov

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 08:07:49 pm »

The default, sailfish browser makes a bit of a mess when rendering the forums. It gets the size wrong, and you end up viewing a partial page. The easiest fix is to zoom in, then zoom out. You cant zoom out to the full page without first zooming in. Alternatively, install webcat - it is a webkit based browser and doesnt have the same problem. As far as clicking a link, if it is small you can zoom in to click, but the forum is working well on my gemini on the default browser once you know the zoom in, then out trick. I don't know about a developer mode, but you could always curl the page from the terminal. You can copy the address by clicking on the address bar, pressing ctrl-c, then going to the terminal, selecting the right menu/dot and clicking paste.
Thank you for tips, WebCat works great on forum  But I must find way to change WebCat icon (it is really ugly)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:09:27 pm by jovpov »

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:24 pm »
Thank you for tips, WebCat works great on forum  But I must find way to change WebCat icon (it is really ugly)

The desktop file for webcat is: /usr/share/applications/harbour-webcat.desktop
and the icon is in: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/86x86/apps/harbour-webcat.png

Either edit the desktop file and point the icon to a new file, or edit/move/copy the png file.

After that, restart the desktop (if you have installed the utilities menu), or restart the gemini if the icon doesn't change automatically.

jovpov

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 06:32:51 am »

The desktop file for webcat is: /usr/share/applications/harbour-webcat.desktop
and the icon is in: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/86x86/apps/harbour-webcat.png

Either edit the desktop file and point the icon to a new file, or edit/move/copy the png file.

After that, restart the desktop (if you have installed the utilities menu), or restart the gemini if the icon doesn't change automatically.

Wow, Vader, thank you! WebDog is alive now! https://www.screencast.com/t/GSRjxiUt2D

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:04 pm »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »
Upon request (although very late, sorry for that) I'm pinning this thread, there are lots of useful infos here that will be helpful to many new Sailfish users, me including

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!