Author Topic: The future of ELSI  (Read 7023 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The future of ELSI
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:39 am »
Hi,

as you probably know, ELSI (www.elsix.org) has been offline since some years now. I have checked on the Ibiblio server, and apparently the account has been deleted, probably due to missing maintenance and/or lack of feedback from the admins. I have now contacted dz, which I believe was the account's owner, to ask him if he has been contacted by the server admins for the matter. I'll try to get a mirror of the account and the database (from ibiblio if necessary), so that at least we don't lose any data.

Regarding the future of the site, my idea was to install a new web interface to host all the data from ELSI, a local copy of all the archives I manage to find, plus the feeds and webpage mirrors I'm collecting, in order to have a central repository for all the software for Zaurus and other, similar devices. I'd take a look at what free PHP file portals are available, and modify it if necessary to suit our needs. I'd keep the name ELSI (Embedded Linux Software Linux), since I'd be targetting the Zaurus and other devices (we already host here an OpenSimpad feed, for example). I'll ask if it will be possible to reopen the account, and if we'll get it up again I'll try to put the old ELSI back online in the meanwhile.

Here's a mirror of the first page of ELSI on archive.org, in case you'd like to see how it looked like:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160112003201/http://elsix.org/

Stay tuned.
Varti
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:16:37 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The future of ELSI
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:35:50 am »
Just got a reply from dz, unfortunately he doesn't have any backup of it, I'll now ask ibiblio if they have one themselves.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

scops

• View Profile
    • http://
The future of ELSI
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:03 am »
Quote from: Varti
Just got a reply from dz, unfortunately he doesn't have any backup of it, I'll now ask ibiblio if they have one themselves.

Varti

Hey, has ibiblio answered yet? maybe i have some files in my own backup from ELSI... (mostly for the SL-5500G)
OpenPandora, Jolla C, BQ M10 fHD (ubports), MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2012), Zaurus SL-5500, OpenMoko Freerunner, Geeksphone Keon (ffOS 2.x), a few Raspberries, too many game consoles and Android devices,...

... and soon: Dragonbox Pyra, Librem 5

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The future of ELSI
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:19 am »
Quote from: scops
Quote from: Varti

Varti

Hey, has ibiblio answered yet? maybe i have some files in my own backup from ELSI... (mostly for the SL-5500G)
No, not yet. Thanks for your offer, I'll see in the meanwhile what I can retrieve from the archive.org mirror, if I'll have some missing links I'll ask

Varti
and many other Zauruses!