Author Topic: How to install UBPorts on Cosmo!  (Read 2899 times)

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
How to install UBPorts on Cosmo!
« on: March 10, 2022, 02:39:13 pm »
Hi all!

Due to demand, and the previous post explaining this process becoming confusing - I have made this post. I ask that if anyone has alterations, please do PM me, so we don't clutter this thread, and make it confusing.

Steps to install UBPorts

1) First, download the Linux ZIP archive from Planet:
http://support.planetcom.co.uk/download/cosmo-customos-installer-v4.zip

2) Extract it to the ROOT of your SD card. It is imperative that you do not nest the extracted directory - it should be extracted, with all the top-level files in, where '/' is the mount point, or disk letter of the SD card like: '/cosmo-customos-installer' - that is critical for multi-boot to work. You should also be fully up to date with Android releases (and yes, I know they're old now)

3) Also download the shell script attached to this post, and put it in the root 'cosmo-customos-installer' directory.

4) You will also need to edit the `list_installers.sh` file, and add this line:
Code: [Select]
echo "UBPorts,$MBF/Cosmo_Installer_UBPorts.sh" >> $INSTALLER_FILE below the last entry of similar composition. I have attached mine for an example, but don't use it as-is!

5) Then, install Gemian. This can go in any boot slot but be warned wireless connectivity will not work in the RECOVERY_2 slot for Gemian or any ROM. Also bear in mind, that you'll need both UBPorts and Gemian installed to use UBPorts. There are ways around this, but I have yet to test fully.

6) Boot into Gemian, and download the build output from here: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/android9/planet-cosmocom/planet-cosmocom/-/jobs/1709630222/artifacts/download?file_type=archive

7) When that's finished downloading, extract the ZIP - your '$HOME' directory will do. Now, copy the file 'rootfs.img' from the out directory to '/ubuntu.img'. You will need to use sudo for this.

8) Now, you need to copy the boot image to the 'cosmo-customos-installer'. You can get it from the out directory, or, for your convenience, I have attached mine to this post. UBPorts will not boot with this, as it acts as the kernel.

9) Now you will need to reboot into recovery as per Planet's wiki, install UBPorts once you set up multi-boot, and select the UBPorts option, allowing you to install to a boot slot.

10) Finally, reboot! You should be able to select UBPorts now. The first boot will take a bit of time, as it has to get ready.

Note: This guide is in the Beta stage, I need people to test it, and once it is working, I'll ask Varti or admins to sticky it.

If you have any trouble, you can go to the Cosmo Telegram group/Discord/IRC/Matrix, or for UBPorts-specific things - that is to say, not related to the Cosmo, they have a friendly Telegram group.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 02:44:52 pm by Dom (shymega) »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to install UBPorts on Cosmo!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 07:30:50 am »
Thanks for this helpful guide!

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
Re: How to install UBPorts on Cosmo!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 06:52:32 pm »
OK, so there's been a few issues with this guide just booting into Gemian. At the time I wrote this, it was off the top of my head, and I also had a non-functional development Cosmo unit due to an experiment. It is now working, so I can test this guide.

I'll look into this some more, but if anyone has issues, please PM me on OESF, or tag me on the Telegram/Discord, so I can debug this further!

EDIT: To elaborate on 'PM me', I've forgotten about this post, and since then, I don't _really_ work actively with Planet anymore. So PMs might not be the best place now. Making posts on OESF in the correct sub-forum is likely to get some help, and I try to monitor OESF, but honestly, I'm not really involved with PC now, and feel burned out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 01:24:02 pm by Dom (shymega) »