Author Topic: Keyboard ghosting  (Read 5014 times)

abliss

• View Profile
Keyboard ghosting
« on: August 25, 2022, 07:52:02 pm »
Alas, it seems that the Astro has the same keyboard ghosting problem that gemini/cosmo suffered from. Not a surprise, but was it too much to hope that Planet would shell out for some diodes in their third iteration?

I will be attempting to port the kernel patch that worked on gemini/cosmo, and will report back here whether it still works.

abliss

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard ghosting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 10:44:08 am »
The ghosting patch seems to work! I will try to clean it up and post it on Github this weekend.
Edit: here it is: https://github.com/planet-com/astro-kernel/pull/1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 08:03:30 pm by abliss »

TapamN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 02:58:23 pm »
Another issue with the keyboard that hasn't been fixed is the caps lock combination. On the Gemini/Cosmo, caps lock wasn't only enabled by Fn+Tab. It was also possible to accidentally enable caps lock by pressing and releasing Fn, then pressing tab afterwards. The Astro does this too. Was this a deliberate "feature"? I have a hard time figuring out how this bug could occur by mistake.

It doesn't look like the patch mentioned fixes this?

TomJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 04:59:31 am »
Could someone explain what this issue is?   Spurious inputs?

TomJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 04:36:26 am »
And could it be related to the fingerprint sensor "Too many attempts" error?

zevv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 04:44:49 am »
Could someone explain what this issue is?   Spurious inputs?

The problem is the way the keyboard is wired; the keys are scanned in a matrix of "horizontal" and "vertical" connections, when more then 2 switches are pressed at the same time, other keys appear to be pressed as well; the typical workaround for this is to not handle any new keypresses when more then 2 keys are down. There was indeed a patch for this for the gemini; this was reported upstream to PC but of course this never made it into the official images.

Neophy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 05:52:28 pm »
The ghosting patch seems to work! I will try to clean it up and post it on Github this weekend.
Edit: here it is: https://github.com/planet-com/astro-kernel/pull/1

Could you please tell us how to build and install the Android kernel?

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 02:09:45 pm »
So far builds with the patch just boot loop on the Astro. I merged the patch into my Astro kernel for LineageOS, and am in the process of setting up unsigned automated builds on my Jenkins server.

KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 05:06:59 am »
I don't think I have this ghosting problem, but the keyboard doesn't always respond very well, especially the space bar, I have to press really hard to make it work. Sometimes this goes for other keys as well. Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, because the slower I type, the less issues there seem to be.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:08:34 am by KMM »

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 06:11:18 am »
I don't think I have this ghosting problem, but the keyboard doesn't always responds very well, especially the space bar, I have to press really hard to make it work. Sometimes this goes for other keys as well. Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, because the slower I type, the less issues there seem to be.

This is a problem I have noticed in the space bar. You must press at the center or on the left. If you press on the right it gets worse. Cosmo does not have this problem.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:14:26 am by cam1965 »

KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 08:22:23 am »
Another keyboard issue is the 'del'-button: when pressing this it deletes the last 2 digits, not just the last 1, why is this? Looks like this is not a hardware but a software issue.
Is there a way to adjust this? (US keyboard).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:24:27 am by KMM »

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 01:07:50 pm »
Another keyboard issue is the 'del'-button: when pressing this it deletes the last 2 digits, not just the last 1, why is this? Looks like this is not a hardware but a software issue.
Is there a way to adjust this? (US keyboard).
Mine deletes just 1 digit. Tried in google, whatsapp, etc

KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 09:06:49 am »
Yes, on the Astro it seems to be a problem in Word only (I can't change the settings as far as I see).

And it looks like it's a Microsoft-issue... at least on some laptops:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/delete-button-deletes-two-characters-instead-of/da629a66-6eb4-4817-b260-834d13b58930
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 09:19:05 am by KMM »

KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 12:06:02 pm »
I've found a simple way to fix the space bar issue, just put a small piece of tape next to the little clamb in the middle:

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 04:17:09 pm »
I've found a simple way to fix the space bar issue, just put a small piece of tape next to the little clamb in the middle:

Thanks. But for me didn' t work this way.
But works according to the attached photo.
I put a small piece of a cushion for sax mouthpiece ( yes, I am also a sax player ).
Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 04:37:04 pm by cam1965 »