Author Topic: Writing Zeros To Internal 3100 Hdd  (Read 1108 times)

Deviant25

• View Profile
Writing Zeros To Internal 3100 Hdd
« on: January 04, 2006, 10:06:35 pm »
Hey before i was browsing the diagnostic menu (dm) to fix my lcd phase settings, when i stumbled across the option of zero filling the internal hdd (writing zero's to every sector). I looked around the forums and coulden't find anything and then read the trisoft manual (i think it was trisoft) and it said this would brick the zaurus. Since i already flashed to pdaXrom and have been messing around with the hdd's partitions (since pdaXrom dosen't care what you do with them, sharp based roms will complain) i knew for sure that zero filling would not screw anything up. I am used to writing zero's to my real pc's since i like starting off fresh (yes i know in theory u can still recover stuff after a zero fill... but its harder and i do it more for a clean start) so i did it.

The zero writer is pretty cool (i love the zaurus diagnostic menu)... It had a progress bar and displayed sector number as it was getting zeroed. (took around 10-15 mins)

And, as expected it did work, rebooted then fdisked /dev/hda and it created a new partiton table and all went normal. So if anyone for whatever reason ever wants to do this straight from the diagnostics menu with a 3100 (3000 might be a bad idea cause it needs the hdd for files and such though, if u know how to recover it then shoulden't be a problem) it definatly works.

Location: Reboot zaurus (either typing reboot in consol or reset button) holding d and m buttons, go to page 3 "SERVICE (3/3)", "2. BACKUP RESTORE MENU", you will see the 00 fill option there if u have a 3000/3100.