Author Topic: First impressions on the Gemini PDA  (Read 8459 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
First impressions on the Gemini PDA
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:30:26 am »
""Tiny" in the USA connotes "toy-like", and people expect toys to be (a) cheap and (b) not suitable for doing real work. Not so in Japan, where "tiny" connotes "finely crafted" and "precious"."

A very interesting and thoughtful insight on today's need of small devices with real keyboards, and some interesting information about the Gemini from the backers' meeting during the recent MWC America show in San Francisco.

https://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002303.html

Some interesting facts: the first 100 produced units will be used for testing to failure, "(...) including drop and vibration testing, keyboard testing, and at least 10,000 opening and closing cycles of the clamshell hinge." 2.000 units will be produced for the backers, and other 8.000 for sale through other channels. The company will break even with those 10.000 units, but sales of at least 100.000 units will be required for profitability.

The main targets for the device are previous Psion owners (and I'd add Zaurus ones), the Japanese market (roughly 40% of the backers are Japanese) and writers.

The device will ship with a special tool to be used to pry off the cover to get access to the SIM card, eSIM and micro-SD card slots, possibly the battery too. Automatic adjustment of the screen brightness, depending on ambient light, is planned (I wonder if the GPD devices have this feature too). Neither a stylus nor a stylus holder will be included, but they are planned as an option at a later stage.

Varti
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:30:53 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
Thanks for the info, Varti...

Really sorry that I wasn't able to get up to SF for that meetup outside the conference. Oh well....

Enjoyed Edward's write up about the event and the Gemini PDA...

Find myself very tempted to back the Gemini now....even though I'm quite pleased with my Pocket.....go figure....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:33 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Thanks for the info, Varti...

Really sorry that I wasn't able to get up to SF for that meetup outside the conference. Oh well....
No worries, that event was for backers only. As I understood, there were just 4 of them, I guess not many of them are from the SF area.

Enjoyed Edward's write up about the event and the Gemini PDA...
Find myself very tempted to back the Gemini now....even though I'm quite pleased with my Pocket.....go figure....
If you can afford it, well why not  One of the advantages of the Gemini is that you should be able to use it as a smartphone too, and that it has a rear camera too (via an add-on).

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:33:30 am »
Only 4 people ?......bit surprised since Silicon Valley is only about 1 hour 20 minutes drive South of San Francisco.
Although like you say, you needed to be backer to attend.

Yes, fortunately, I can afford it.

Although I really need to 'clean house' and sell a few more of my little mobile computing devices to make room for a new device.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/