Author Topic: Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps  (Read 15586 times)

debb1046

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 11:34:59 am »
Hello
I couldn't get the feed versions (including those in the upgrade section) of qpegps and gpsd to work together. I pulled the gpsd sources from the qpegps sf page and compiled those. That seems to work (openSIMpad 0.9-rc1, Garmin Legend on serial cable).

Regards,
Reiner

oninitdialog

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 05:48:04 pm »
Try
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 4800

stty -F /dev/ttyS0 should then display that the serial port was set to 4800 baud.
Then cat /dev /ttyS0 should display something
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That worked like a charm.  I appreciate the help now on to zRoadmap and qpegps.  Thanks again.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64436\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Did you have any luck with qpegps when I run gpsd I can cat /dev/ttyS0 and I can see NMEA data once I start qpegps but qpegps can't see the data it just shows that it is connected to gpsd but it can not get GMT.

Donald.
C860 PDAXROM + SL5500 Sharp ROM
Pocketop Keyboard
WCF-12, 256Meg SD, CF, GlobalSAT GPS receiver Z-ThinUSBCable, etc.
Gentoo

hvontres

• View Profile
    • http://
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 04:01:40 pm »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Try
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 4800

stty -F /dev/ttyS0 should then display that the serial port was set to 4800 baud.
Then cat /dev /ttyS0 should display something
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That worked like a charm.  I appreciate the help now on to zRoadmap and qpegps.  Thanks again.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64436\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Did you have any luck with qpegps when I run gpsd I can cat /dev/ttyS0 and I can see NMEA data once I start qpegps but qpegps can't see the data it just shows that it is connected to gpsd but it can not get GMT.

Donald.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Apperently qpegps only works with the ancient version of gpsd on the qpegps site. I was able to compile it on my 5600 and it seems to work. Just use the attached executable. It also works for zRoadmap. Let me know if this works.

I will try to see if I can figure out how to fix qpegps to work with the new 2.0 gpsd builds when I get a chance, but that might be a while.

Cheers,

Henry von Tresckow
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:06:25 pm by hvontres »
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Henry von Tresckow[/span]
--------------------------------------
SL-5600, OZ 3.5.4.2 (Hentges), Kernel 2.6.17 :)
1gb Kingston SD (ext2), 5Gb Seagate ST1 (3.03 Fw, fat32)
256 MB Kingston SD (ext2),256MB Viking CF,32MB CF (vfat),
homebuilt GPS unit (Based on RFMD RF 8000)

oninitdialog

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 05:49:38 pm »
I did just try it and it does run and qpegps can get data from it but the lon and lat cordinates returned are incorrect.
Pocketop Keyboard
Gentoo

hvontres

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 12:25:54 pm »
I did just try it and it does run and qpegps can get data from it but the lon and lat cordinates returned are incorrect.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I tried this out with my unit yesterday and all three versions fo gpsd that I have (my binary, the 1.1 packagae from the feed and the 2.6 package from the feed) gave me the same answer. Looking at my local map in zRoadmap had me in the correct location. What kind of GPS are you using? Mine is a serial NMEA interface. I know that the new releases of gpsd have a lot of new features (esp. SIRF support) that weren't in the ancient (~2000) version that qpegps was based on.

oninitdialog

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 05:50:31 pm »
Hi i have a serial NMEA device as below.
GlobalSat BR-304
http://www.selective.co.nz/gpsbr304.html

It can use either SIRF II binary or NMEA if I cat /dev/ttyS0 whilst qpegps is running I can see the NMEA data stream. I have also tried this device on a Laptop running gpsdrive and it works fine.

I guess I should install the gpsd from the OZ feed and telnet into GPSD and see what data that returns.

Donald.
Pocketop Keyboard
Gentoo

oninitdialog

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 06:12:38 pm »
OK you can ignore my last post about it not returning the correct cordinates, I have just tried it again and i works fine. Thank you hvontres  for your efforts I am very grateful.

Donald.
Pocketop Keyboard
Gentoo

hvontres

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 07:00:00 pm »
OK you can ignore my last post about it not returning the correct cordinates, I have just tried it again and i works fine. Thank you hvontres  for your efforts I am very grateful.

Donald.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You're welcome.    

bkudria

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2005, 07:27:02 am »
Hello, hvontres.  Big thanks for your gpsd, but I am having a small problem.  I copied it over, and ran it, then started qpegps...and everything worked!  I even got maps for my area, and I was ecstatic!  But then, I thought that the gpsd ipk was just taking up room, so i removed it (after dutifully renaming the binaries back so that ipkg removes the correct, non-working one)...and it stops working.  I tried removing and reinstalling everything several times, but no good.  qpeGPS doesn't seem to want to get gps data from your gpsd binary.  I have a 5600, running OZ 3.5.3, and I am plugging a Haicom 303CF into the CF slot.  Again, i had this setup working briefly.  If you could provide *any* insight, I would be extremely grateful.  Thanks!

bkudria

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 08:33:24 am »
Anyone?

oninitdialog

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 04:57:22 am »
Have you tried re-installing gpsd 2.20 from the OZ feed and then replacing the gpsd binary in /usr/sbin with the one from hvontres?
This worked very well for me. If you leave the name as gpsd then it should work. you may need to modify the /etc/init.d/gpsd script to point at the correct serial port. If you are using a device that connects to the Sharp IO port then you will need to set it to /dev/ttyS0 if you are using a CF card then typically you would use /dev/ttyS0. I am using the Sharp IO port and I found that I had to use the following command to set the serial port speed: stty -F /dev/ttyS0 4800 I also created a sym link file in the dev folder like this ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/gps.

I hope this helps.
Donald.
Pocketop Keyboard
Gentoo

sibble-comp-oesf

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 09:00:37 pm »
Have you tried re-installing gpsd 2.20 from the OZ feed and then replacing the gpsd binary in /usr/sbin with the one from hvontres?
This worked very well for me. If you leave the name as gpsd then it should work. you may need to modify the /etc/init.d/gpsd script to point at the correct serial port. If you are using a device that connects to the Sharp IO port then you will need to set it to /dev/ttyS0 if you are using a CF card then typically you would use /dev/ttyS0. I am using the Sharp IO port and I found that I had to use the following command to set the serial port speed: stty -F /dev/ttyS0 4800 I also created a sym link file in the dev folder like this ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/gps.

I hope this helps.
Donald.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hmm, I just tried this with my SL5500 running OZ3.5.3 and get weird results.  I assume because the gpsd from hvontres is compiled for the SL5600. Basically, the gpsd telltale in qpegps flickers between green OK and red ERR.  RoadmapGPS shows gobbledygook, control characters etc. Using the gpsd 2.20-r1 from the 3.5.3 feed I get proper nema data in RoadmapGPS, but nothing in qpegps, only a green OK.

Anyone got a gpsd compiled for the 5500 they could send me?

lazd

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 12:33:01 pm »
This worked very well for me. If you leave the name as gpsd then it should work.
I hope this helps.
Donald.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Basically, the gpsd telltale in qpegps flickers between green OK and red ERR.  RoadmapGPS shows gobbledygook, control characters etc. Using the gpsd 2.20-r1 from the 3.5.3 feed I get proper nema data in RoadmapGPS, but nothing in qpegps, only a green OK.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Replacing the gpsd binary gave me great results on my collie 5500 under OZ 3.5.4. Both qpegps and roadmap run perfectly (and at the same time), track logs are great, but signals are sometimes hard to get (Abicom CF GPS with external antenna). I had screwed around with alot of commands before hand, but it turned out that all I needed to do was have everything installed (gpsd, qpegps, roadmap), then simply replace the /usr/sbin/gpsd with the version provided previously in this threadz (https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=528). I had experienced proper function in roadmap and none in qpegps using the latest version of gpsd, it just seems a downgrade is required to have qpegps working, but this doesn't effect function in roadmap.

I did, however, experience the flashing gpsd status message at times, I believe it was related to having two copies of gpsd running, or resuming from suspend and having problems with that.

SUGGESTION: If you are using a CF GPS card and you wish to suspend, simply suspend and then remove the card. When you want to resume, resume the zaurus and then plug the CF card in. It will then work properly, I've done this and aquired GPS signals within seconds of resume.

Good luck, it's worth all the effing around!

DaemonsGR

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.2 Opie & Gps
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 05:17:31 pm »
Hello,
Any software for GPS and gpe/oz on 3100?
Anyone used gpsdrive?

Thnx
Tasos
Tasos Varoudis (Tech)
Tasos Varoudis (Architecture)

Zaurus sl-c3100 + Wlan, Lan ,BT ,etc
NOW running... pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 + OOo + custom apps/setup + debian +.. not yet installed OpenBSD snapshot

WAS:Cacko 1.23 + X/QT + debian

Home-Net
Debian WIFI Router ,OpenBSD Bridge Firewall ,Win 2k Domain Server , :) Sun Fire v120 , :) Gentoo Main Server: Dual PIII