Author Topic: Usb Host By C860's Serial Port?  (Read 1243 times)

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Usb Host By C860's Serial Port?
« on: January 23, 2005, 08:09:49 pm »
Is it possible to work a USB Host by C860's serial port?  It might have been discussed before, but I can not find a thread on it...

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 08:59:42 pm »
I doubt the serial port even could reach the 1.5Mbps (may be slightly off, going from memory) of low-speed USB (designed for mice, keyboards, et cetera). Even if it can you'd have to take low-level control of serial. There is a post talking about USB host using USB client found on the Zauruses, has some good info on what it would take if possible.

There are some limited function translation chips that convert USB used by cell-phones to serial usuable by PDAs. Some car mounts have them. I do not know the models of the chips, only that they exist, so I can't look up the exact specs, but from what I can figure I think they implement only enough of USB host to work with a serial to USB chip, and then tranlate it back to RS-232 serial.

stupkid

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:34:10 am »
lardman has brought up this topic once before.  The simple answer is no the hardware is not there.  The more complicated answer is that you could do it if you wanted to "bit blast" it and emulate the hardware in software, which is some dark magic that to my knowledge no one has ever attempted.

Hope this helps...

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image