Author Topic: Zaurus Ui Freezes If Suspended Too Long  (Read 22285 times)

zaphod

• View Profile
Zaurus Ui Freezes If Suspended Too Long
« on: February 15, 2005, 09:31:06 pm »
I remember this problem in pdaxrom way back in july.  Surely, someone has thought of a workaround or fix by now?

I have an SL-C750 and if it is left suspended for more than one day, the touchscreen and keyboard go dead on wakeup.  I guess it isn't a problem with matchbox, since now pdax is using openbox.  Strangely, sometimes the first tap or two after wakeup work and then no more.  The ON/OFF button on the back of the zaurus still works, but suspend/resume does not get the touchscreen/keyboard working.  Removing the battery is the only way to reboot the thing and them everything is fine. At least until I forget to use my Z for a day.

nightfire

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 12:41:38 am »
I have an SL-C750 and if it is left suspended for more than one day, the touchscreen and keyboard go dead on wakeup.  ...  The ON/OFF button on the back of the zaurus still works, but suspend/resume does not get the touchscreen/keyboard working.

Wow.. I thought I was the only one.  *Exactly* the same behavior here on my C760.  Odd.

projekt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 09:22:43 am »
I have an SL-C750 and if it is left suspended for more than one day, the touchscreen and keyboard go dead on wakeup.  ...  The ON/OFF button on the back of the zaurus still works, but suspend/resume does not get the touchscreen/keyboard working.

Wow.. I thought I was the only one.  *Exactly* the same behavior here on my C760.  Odd.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Same with me..  Had to hard reset it by removing the battery twice just today because of this problem.  Running RC9.0, was this fixed in 9.1?

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 02:59:01 pm »
Have to reset my C750 occasionally because of this. Wasn't able to reproduce when it happens, but it could indeed have something to do with long-time-no-use. Well, that's one way to punish us for not using this beautifull piece of software the way it was meant to use... all the time  
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

gtJormungand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 01:19:41 am »
This would describe a similar problem that I'm having with the 860.

pgas

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 02:46:34 am »
I have also this problem, do you use a wifi card?

If yes see this thread
for what seems to be a possible solution, I didn't try it though.
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

LadyBug

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:29:47 pm »
The hint behind that link may solve Wifi issues, but I have been hit with the problem without a wifi card in the slot. Maybe there are two separate issues here?
C760, Symbol CF WiFi, Lexar 1GB SD, score of CFs
Currently running pdaXrom.

macwiz

• View Profile
    • http://www.macwiz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 02:42:08 pm »
I had this problem with RC5 on my 860. Experimented with different window managers (fluxbox etc), and the problem went away while using them. When I flashed RC8 the problem went away totally so I did without the other window managers. Now I have flashed RC9, and the problem is back. Any ideas? I am tempted to go back to RC8.
Macwiz
c860, never quite lived up to my expectations... my fault I guess
17in MacBook Pro lovely xxxx
iPhone 3G ummm
SE P990i with UIQ3. Never enough RAM.
Pocket Loox 720 used for designing ebooks. Just don't like it though!

macwiz: apple mac support in Oxfordshire
Twitter: @boffinboy

sommi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 05:46:27 pm »
I remember this problem in pdaxrom way back in july.  Surely, someone has thought of a workaround or fix by now?

I have an SL-C750 and if it is left suspended for more than one day, the touchscreen and keyboard go dead on wakeup.  I guess it isn't a problem with matchbox, since now pdax is using openbox.  Strangely, sometimes the first tap or two after wakeup work and then no more.  The ON/OFF button on the back of the zaurus still works, but suspend/resume does not get the touchscreen/keyboard working.  Removing the battery is the only way to reboot the thing and them everything is fine. At least until I forget to use my Z for a day.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I also had this problem once. After a long period in suspended state, the
touchscreen and keyboard seemed to lock up.

I noticed that the Zaurus still seemed to be working in this state (new flash cards
were recognized). So I inserted my WIFI-Card and logged in to the Zaurus from
my Desktop-Computer via SSH. I killed and restarted the X Server (on the Z)
and everything was fine afterwards.

Of course this is not a good workaround but at least I didn't have to remove
the battery and risk data loss to get the Z working again...

projekt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 12:16:38 pm »
Hi, just to point out to people that think it may be wifi related, there are at least 2 people that posted (including myself) that encountered the problem without a wifi card.  I changed my windowmanager to ratpoison and haven't noticed any problems yet.  I find myself just staying out of X all together a lot more lately though.

conundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 01:53:06 pm »
My C860 was off since Friday, I just turned it on and no problems.  RC9

I have had this problem before, but I don't think it has to do with how long the device is suspended.  Maybe what it was doing when it was suspended?

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 03:31:09 am »
it happens to me sometimes, on my 750.

Just for information, it also happens when you suspend the Z while you don't use X (using the command "apm -s") and leave it for some days. When you turn it back on, it automatically close the session and you have to log in again.

Hope it means something to you...

Ho, by the way, i have no wifi card...

wario

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 08:46:15 am »
I thought it was an X11 thing.

Code: [Select]
# ssh root@z kill -9 Xwould salvage the mess, otherwise i did the old battery pull.

It happens to me so consistently for a suspend of any duration that now I always kill X beforehand.

dvdrw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 10:46:14 am »
Ho, by the way, i have no wifi card...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

do you have any type of CF card inserted in the CF slot?  or no CF card is inserted at all when the resume lockup occurs?

projekt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 09:30:37 pm »
Wasn't there going to be a developer bare bones image released sometime soon?  I personally would love to scrap openbox/matchbox all together and put my energy into ratpoison, which is, to me, the best wm for such a small device if you need to get things done.

Laze: any news on that bare bones image?

Wario: I usually freeze up a hundred miles from my home computer.  I travel a lot so its always the battery pull.  Being that I have a pdaair case that snaps on the bottom, its a real pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 09:32:24 pm by projekt »