Author Topic: Is There Anybody Out There?  (Read 8869 times)

nilch

• View Profile
    • http://
Is There Anybody Out There?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 10:52:34 am »
I emailed conics asking about availability and price with shipping (to the US) for the larger batery EA-BL08 (or something) for the C750 with the back cover that they have on their web site - but its been two weeks now and no replies from Conics.

I saw that Brando is the other option for the same battery with cover, so hope they are more alive than conics.
I think I will give the trisoft site a check to see if they carry the batteries too.

Its a shame to have sites which cater to the Zaurus market, but they slowly drop out and leave behind dead sites. If they are really dropping out, then please update your site and remove the zaurus links so people know that this is not an option.

But then again, maybe we are being too harsh. The Conics guy is just away on a long hiatus.
(But then he should carry a zaurus with wireless and update his site from whereever he is having his hiatus)  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 10:55:28 am by nilch »
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 05:27:19 pm »
I used the web form again for Conics, if I don't hear back soon, sorry Brett, but PriceJapan are getting my order - especially since I'm getting close to "losing" my Palm T3.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I didn't hear from PJ either, and there happened to be a brand new  Z 860 on ebay uncontested which I won (kind of by mistake, I put a bid in as the price was pretty good, and noone else bid at all)!

I'm tempted to get a 6000L as well, and see which one I want, and sell the other; there are a few more 6000s on ebay at sensible prices again.

Paul
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 07:49:23 pm »
I too had problems with vendors getting back to me.  I still haven't heard back from Conics.net...and I sent my original requests to him before he posted that he would be away 'til the 21st.  Sigh - oh well.

Ultimately, I went with Dynamism.  They were willing to work with me on the price and were the most responsive in gettng back to me.

Being new to the Zaurus world - I decided to go with a C860.  I figured the flash memory would be a bit more robust than a microdrive, but ultimately I thought it would be more forgiving of my newbie mistakes!  

Dynamism delivered as quickly as promised and I've been "playing" ever since!  WhooHoo!  Man is this cool...  

Jen

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 04:53:16 pm »
The SL-C860 is also out of production, on sale as long as there
is stock available. That's the explanation for the actual very nice
price   

In production and sale is at the moment only the SL-C3000 model.

that's very interesting - I read this a week ago (ish).. do you then happen to know if there's going to be a 3100 as hinted at by one of Sharp's new software app installers?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

saiten

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 08:07:51 pm »
When buying from Trisoft you get  a world adapter, which will work just fine with a physical adapter to plug in your silly UK sockets.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'd have to agree that UK plugs & sockets are somewhat larger and more cumbersome than those in the U.S. and for that matter many other parts of Europe - however the UK earth (ground) is not bonded to the neg line, which is the case in U.S. & also some European countries, this is in-turn often spiked into the mud. (lol)

Yikes - that's effectively a single line AC power feed with a return that's connected to the metal cases of many domestic appliances and the mud!
Considering that power will follow least path of resistance, and that the neg line might potentialy fail or dry up ........
Now who's silly ;-)
SL 5000D, SL5500 - tkc rom / C760 - proto 2.5.1 - javab0y /Spectrum24 / Dlink DCF650w / Buffalo wli-cf-s11g / Origo Wifi / Compaq B21 Cf Modem / EagleTec CF 10-base ethernet / Various SD/MMC / Socket Bluetooth / VW Golf GTIT (debian integrated supercharger - honest) ;-) PPC2003.net with TomTom Nav 5 - TomTom is blinding GPS s/w - sorry but nothing on o/s comes close to TomTom (wish it did).

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 03:25:56 pm »
I'd have to agree that UK plugs & sockets are somewhat larger and more cumbersome than those in the U.S. and for that matter many other parts of Europe - however the UK earth (ground) is not bonded to the neg line, which is the case in U.S. & also some European countries, this is in-turn often spiked into the mud. (lol)

Yikes - that's effectively a single line AC power feed with a return that's connected to the metal cases of many domestic appliances and the mud!

You'll find that apart from really heavy current things, many things are now double-insulated and earth-less, since they make the same item for european-wide markets..

notice that more and more goods are entirely plastic (or should I say polymer!).

more and more things use external power supplies, e.g. wall-warts or lump-in-a-cord; this makes it much easier to get approval for sale in each country, just buy in the approved PSU.

Paul

tumnus

• View Profile
    • http://www.cpinkney.org.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 05:38:06 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Unless I'm mistaken, I have seen 3 prong US plugs in a similar arrangement to the UK plug (They just added an extra, round prong, making a triangle shape) and the 3rd prong is an earth. Of course you need US sockets that have a 3rd hole too, but most do.

Getting a bit further off-topic, but I prefer UK plugs to US plugs. I find that US plugs and sockets easily wear out and get loose, so that the plug either easily falls out or worse, it comes half way out, exposing the live metal prongs (my wife is American so I've spent a lot of time in the US). There's reasons why the UK plug is so awkward. First the earth prong has to open the live and neutral holes, which prevents kids from sticking utensils in the sockets and secondly the tight fit holds it firmly in place.
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Qualendar for Calendar and Todo
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,
Pretec CF->Smartmedia Adapter, Semsons Universal Battery Extender

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 10:16:45 am »
Being new to the Zaurus world - I decided to go with a C860.  I figured the flash memory would be a bit more robust than a microdrive, but ultimately I thought it would be more forgiving of my newbie mistakes! 
If you really need the space you always get a CF drive later on.

Jen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 02:15:38 pm »
Being new to the Zaurus world - I decided to go with a C860.  I figured the flash memory would be a bit more robust than a microdrive, but ultimately I thought it would be more forgiving of my newbie mistakes! 
If you really need the space you always get a CF drive later on.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Truth to tell - I already have a 4GB MD!    So space shouldn't really be an issue...I think the deciding factor came down to the large number of ROMS available for the 860 and the seemingly easier process for full recovery.  I wanted to be able to play around but still go back if I happened on something I didn't like.  Especially since I'm a complete noob  

Since then I found a site detailing how to return a C3000 to it's factory settings...still I couldn't be happier with my C860!  Maybe when the next C device comes out it will have integrated wireless and I can upgrade then. (I can't believe I'm already talking about the next device - what a gadget junkie!   ) That's the big downside I can see with using a CF drive in the 860 - no room for the WiFi card.  Not a deal breaker for me 'cause I live in the stix - WiFi? - what's WiFi?  - where's WiFi?  Nowhere!

Anyway, I'm having a blast with my new Z.  The family is a bit irritated though - What!?  You're going to *ahem* work on your Zaurus again?

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 08:08:19 am »
I really, really wouldn't bet on the next model coming with integrated wireless of any kind (maybe BT, but even that's stretching it). The japanese market just has too many options for cross-country wireless, each with its own adapter.
Honestly, my next PDA will probably be some kind of Treo, because knowing Sharp, they wouldn't be able to build a PDA-phone and make it decently usable. Until I loaded Cacko on my 860, a *lot* of things were broken.
The PDA itself is very, very powerful, but the Sharp apps are braindead compared to a Sidekick 2 or a Treo (especially in the level of integration). I might consider an MDA IV if the software is decent by the time it's actually available, but its use of non-standard protocols everywhere is not really encouraging.
The KDEPIM suite of apps is  much better, but the integration is also insufficient. I'm trying to help Zautrix fiix that, but there's only so much 2 guys can do.
</rant>