Author Topic: Recent 5600s have PXA255 processor?  (Read 41933 times)

Anonymous

Recent 5600s have PXA255 processor?
« on: January 16, 2004, 01:29:29 pm »
Someone posted this in one of the subforums:

Amazon has the SL-5600 for $299...with a PXA255 processor!!!!

Can anyone confirm this rumor?  Do the last batches of 5600s really have the upgraded CPU?

Also, I noticed on Amazon\'s 5600 page, the \"while supplies last\" has appeared.  I guess the 5x00 line is being phased out...

tumnus

• View Profile
    • http://www.cpinkney.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 02:26:58 pm »
Where did you see that post? I have not heard anything of the sort, but the \'special\' kernel is getting good feedback:

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?n...=776&highlight=
http://www.zaurus.com/dev/board/index.php?...wtopic=7536&hl=
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Qualendar for Calendar and Todo
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,
Pretec CF->Smartmedia Adapter, Semsons Universal Battery Extender

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 02:44:50 pm »

VeeDubb

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 06:59:09 pm »
Obviously any new 5600 would have the pxa255.  Intel stopped production of the 250 shortly after newyears LAST YEAR.  There are no 250\'s out there anymore.  The only way you could buy a new sl-5600 right now with a pxa250 is if you bought one that had been on the shelf for the last 8 months or more.

Robson

• View Profile
    • http://publicfiction.org/erik
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 07:06:10 pm »
Has the 250 problem made anyone else gunshy about being a new model early adopter?

weili1977

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 10:47:19 am »
Just got mine from Amazon. It is PXA250, not PXA255:(
Sharp SL-C860 with Cacko X11 ROM
Netgear MA701 WiFi CF Card
Lexar 256MB SD Card
PNY 256MB CF Card

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 04:19:04 pm »
Sharp could well have bought a huge stock of the PXA-250\'s (Intel always discounts CPUs more, the larger the batch bought), so they could have produced 5600s with the old CPU well after Intel stopped producing them. Intel also probably had a fairly large stock to flog after stopping too. So there are bound to be many 5600s with the PXA-250 left in many stocks. Even if Sharp has switched to the PXA-255 (which seems a little odd as it would require a full QA test and it looks like they\'re about to stop making it) then you certainly cannot say that all 5600s bought now will have the new CPU.
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,

VeeDubb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 05:54:24 pm »
...... then you certainly cannot say that all 5600s bought now will have the new CPU.

I didn\'t, read my post again.  

I never said it wasn\'t possible that the cpu and or 250 were on the shelf for ages, I just said that\'s the only way you could get one.

As for requireing a huge GA test, I think you\'re wrong.  According to an Intel press release when the chip was replaced, the pxa255 is, and I quote, \"A drop-in replacement\" for the 250.\"

They said that manufacturers would only need to swap the CPU\'s and one or two ic\'s that all have the same configuration, and most PPC manufacturers continued all their current models with less than 2 weeks production downtime using the new CPU.  Toshiba kept producint it\'s e740 until it ran out of 250\'s and then switched to the 255 with LITERALY NO DOWN TIME, because they knew it was coming, and just renamed it the e750.  HP continued all of it\'s ipaqswith no conusumer end shortages, and Dell, only stopped shippments on the Dell Axim Series for 2 weeks while they made the minor updates that were all laid out for them by intel.  Many PPC makers did not mention a word to anyone when they switched.  They just did itand kept moving to avoid idiots claiming they deserved a free upgrade which happens all the time.  When the OS was upgraded from PPC2000 to PPC2002, there were so many people that had bought in recent months that claime3d they deserved a free upgrade that many companies went ahead and did it.  The same happened with the upgrade from the Sa-111 to the 250 and later, the upgrade from 2002 to WinodwsMobile.  So lot\'s of companies wanted to  keep quiet about their upgrades.

All that in mind, it\'s more likely that sharp HAS upgraded, as it\'s very unlikely that they would stockpile that many cpu\'s.  I\'m sorry to the guy that just got one with a 250, but logicaly, the 255\'s must be out there.

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 07:10:16 pm »
Does anyone know how many 5600s have been sold? I don\'t think it has sold very well because a lot of people knew about the buggy PXA-250 CPU and $499 was way over priced, so many places could well have large stocks with the buggy CPU. I\'m not contesting that they have changed the CPU.

Production downtime has got nothing to do with it. Sharp continued to make 5600s with the buggy CPU for a significant period after Intel *announced* they were stopping production of the PXA-250, otherwise 5600s with the new CPU would have turned up much sooner than now, no matter how well or bad they were selling. Sharp is also obviously devoting less funds to the Zaurus line of PDAs than other companies, so they probably held out for as long as possible before changing to the PXA-255.

I work in the Global Supply Chain of a multi-national telecommunications equipment manufacturer, at the main factory, and I have seen this kind of thing happen before.
--------------------

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 07:55:07 pm »
Kinda sad really.  It seems as though Sharp has concluded that since a buggy, poorly supported, poorly marketed, overpriced (but otherwise fabulous) product does not sell astronomically well, then the market must not exist.

clivel

• View Profile
    • http://www.bundu.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 07:57:19 pm »
Does anyone know how many 5600s have been sold? I don\'t think it has sold very well because a lot of people knew about the buggy PXA-250 CPU and $499 was way over priced, so many places could well have large stocks with the buggy CPU. I\'m not contesting that they have changed the CPU.
I don\'t think that the buggy CPU had much to do with poor sales, it didn\'t slow down the sales of Pocket PC devices. The average PDA user probably new nothing about the buggy CPU. Poor sales are a direct result of Sharp\'s poor marketing effort, and inadequate PIM apps.
I guess Sharp, like the Pocket PC makers, continued to supply PXA250 based devices until they ran out of stock of assembled PDAs as well as any PXA250 chips that they could not return to Intel. The slow sales of the 5600 compared to a Dell for instance, is why it has taken so long for the PXA255 based devices to filter down to the market.

It would be very convenient if Sharp had of given a new model number to the PXA255 devices, something like SL5600A to differentiate them.
Regards,
Clive

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 09:05:27 pm »
I don\'t think that the buggy CPU had much to do with poor sales, it didn\'t slow down the sales of Pocket PC devices. The average PDA user probably new nothing about the buggy CPU. Poor sales are a direct result of Sharp\'s poor marketing effort, and inadequate PIM apps.
I think it\'s a combination of these things. Sharp has never marketed the Zaurus properly or done anything for the PIM. And whether Sharp was intending it or not, a lot of the buyers end up being technies that will know about the CPU issue. Plus I know a lot of existing SL-5500 owners did not upgrade because of the CPU (and only 32MB of RAM and ridiculous price).

In any case, I think it\'s wrong to give the impression that there are now loads of 5600s out there with the new CPU and if you buy one now that you will get the PXA-255. To my knowledge, so far only one person has reported (anonymously) that they have a 5600 with a PXA-255 and did not explain how they knew that. But if a load of people now suddenly find they\'ve got a 5600 with a PXA255 then great and please let us know!
--------------------

meangene

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 09:40:34 pm »
Hello.  I\'m the guy who started this new discussion about the PXA255 processor.  I bought mine from Amazon.com just 1 week ago.  It definitely has a PXA255 processor, according to the outside of the box.  I took a big chance (and hoped) that it would have it.  For $299 and free shipping, I couldn\'t go wrong.

VeeDubb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 10:06:29 pm »
Hello.  I\'m the guy who started this new discussion about the PXA255 processor.  I bought mine from Amazon.com just 1 week ago.  It definitely has a PXA255 processor, according to the outside of the box.  I took a big chance (and hoped) that it would have it.  For $299 and free shipping, I couldn\'t go wrong.

I guess that ends the debate now doesn\'t it.  LOL  

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 09:56:33 pm »
I just got my Zaurus 5600 from Amazon today and the box says 250. So it looks like I am screwed. Any suggestions/insight? Are there patches to do, or should I just send it back to Amazon and try and get at 5500?