Author Topic: Using Zaurus 5500 As A Universal Remote Control  (Read 2155 times)

victorhooi

• View Profile
Using Zaurus 5500 As A Universal Remote Control
« on: March 21, 2005, 05:05:28 am »
Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use my Zaurus 5500 as a universal remote control, ie to control televisions, dvd-players, or anything else with an IR interface?

I've taken a look at Opie Remote, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with this program. How effective is it, and do you have any hints/tips/erratta/notes?

Also, is the range of the Zaurus too short to be useful? Exactly how much range have you guys managed to get out of it? If the range is too short to be useful, are there any cheap solutions to inreasing it? (eg IR repeaters/extenders - price?)

Alternatively, do you think I would be better off going for some programmable IR remote with a touch screen, and which can be connected to my computer - anybody know of any such products/suggestions?

thanks,
Victor

zenyatta

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:44:08 am »
Yes, I've tried to emulate SoundBlaster LIVE!'s remote and Opie Remote kept crashing at startup. The configuration file I used was the same as on the other side, i.e. on my desktop box. The actual remote works so the config file is OK, don't know what causes the crashes.

z.
SL-5500, 256MB Kingston CF card, 128MB EDGE SD card, Thomson HED-155 headphones
OpenZaurus 3.5.3 / Opie (kernel 64-0)

dreadlocks

• View Profile
    • http://zaurus.nayr.net
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 06:56:42 pm »
nothing to do with using zaurus as ir remote, but the SBlive remote I have dosent use the same infared signaling as normal remotes.. My universal learning remote controll would tell me it learned keypresses from the sblive remote but the sblive ir reciver would not pickup the ir from the universal remote.. I fired up the ir monitoring program on my sblive ir port and found it only picks up signals from the sblive remote.. did not react to my IR keyboard or any of my other IR remotes.. therefore I wouldent expect opie remote to cope well with the SBLive remote either.
RETIRED - Zaurus SL-5600 (and a dead 5000D)
Wapaton 1.6.1 - Personal Watapon Feed
SMC 2642W & Linksys WCF12, Targus Universal IR Keyboard
Sandisk 512mb SD, Lexar 64mb SD, Sharp Camera
Extreme Limit Metal & Leather Suit