Author Topic: file-3.26 install?  (Read 1393 times)

binaryx

• View Profile
    • http://
file-3.26 install?
« on: January 19, 2004, 07:23:09 pm »
Hi,
   I\'m fairly new to the linux(zaurus) operating system.  As in, I know all of the basic commands and can get around the command line easily, but I\'m slightly confused about the structure/installation of programs.  I recently downloaded the file-3.26 ipkg and when I unpacked it in a temporary folder, it contains 5 files.  The file and magic executables, two html/man pages, and one installation text file.  The installation text files says:
File-3.26 for Zaurus
1) - mv - \'file\' into your path
2) - mv - \'magic\' somewhere like /mnt/card/usr/share
3) - ln -s <path>/magic /usr/share/magic

Now, obviously I understand what the text file is saying, so here is where my confusion lies:

In #1, what is \"my path\"?  Is this refering to the directory that I\'m in? (~/Applications/file-3.26) or somewhere else?

For #2, first off, /mnt/card/usr/share does not exist.  The only share directory that exists is /home/root/usr/share, so I\'m assuming that is the directory I should mv to.  However, why do I do this?

Lastly, #3, I guess my confusion about this one will be reconciled when I understand the first two.  

I appreciate your help and I\'m rather embarrased to even be asking this, because it seems like such an elementary question, but I\'ve not been able to find very good documentation to help me understand installation structure/howto.  Thanks again!
    BinaryX
Zaurus SL-5500 w/ Sharp 2.12 ROM :)
Netgear MA701 Wireless Card
16mb crap-ola SD card

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
file-3.26 install?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 04:41:40 am »
what is \"my path\"?  

Type \'export\' at the terminal, look at the contents of PATH.

For #2, first off, /mnt/card/usr/share does not exist. The only share directory that exists is /home/root/usr/share, so I\'m assuming that is the directory I should mv to. However, why do I do this?

It\'s hard coded to look for the file at /usr/share/magic, so either place it there are create a symlink from wherever you want to put it in (I don\'t know how large it is, but ifit is big then it may be worth keeping on a card, and if you do this is makes your life simpler if you use the same directory structure).

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

binaryx

• View Profile
    • http://
file-3.26 install?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 05:14:15 am »
Many thanks lardman.  That cleared things up.  I had tried /bin, /root/bin, /sbin, but they kept giving me :read-only errors.  So I hate to have to ask such questions, but at least I won\'t have any problems like this again now that I understand where the files can be placed to make them globally executable.  
Thanks again!
Zaurus SL-5500 w/ Sharp 2.12 ROM :)
Netgear MA701 Wireless Card
16mb crap-ola SD card