Author Topic: Zaurus Remote  (Read 3677 times)

omega

• View Profile
    • http://
Zaurus Remote
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:34:54 am »
Hi all,

No doubt those of you who have used the zaurus remote with pdaxrom and xmms have noticed a response lag... By changing the keyboard map from XF86Prev to the letter z for example the response is much quicker...

It requires you to leave the window focus on xmms, but for me that is not an issue.

BTW, I suggest you leave XF86Play alone as it works as play / pause which is two seperate keys (x, c).
Gorgeous C860, 256 Sandisk SD, 1Gig Pretec 40x CF, PDAIR leather case & the really cool retractable iPDA USB sync/charge cable. Powered by PDAXROM BETA 1.

My wish - to have a Command & Conquer style game on my Z! (FREECNC!!!) Simcity 2000 would also be great.

omega

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:56 am »
has anyone used this mod?
Gorgeous C860, 256 Sandisk SD, 1Gig Pretec 40x CF, PDAIR leather case & the really cool retractable iPDA USB sync/charge cable. Powered by PDAXROM BETA 1.

My wish - to have a Command & Conquer style game on my Z! (FREECNC!!!) Simcity 2000 would also be great.

Martin

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:52:41 pm »
Hi omega,

yes I have the same problem ... I use the remote to control my xmms mp3 playback ... and response is terrible slow ... something about 1 second or more :-( ...

... but why ? is it not better to ask why this is so terrible slow, insteed of changing only the keymapping to normal chars?

but of course I have no idea why this happens :-(

Martin
--------------------------------------------------------
sl-c860 /w pdaXrom 1.1.0 Kathrin r121
CF 1GB , SD 2GB + 1GB + 512MB , MMC 512MB
Netgear MA701 WLAN 801b
Asus WL-HDD2.5 (very nice thing) /w 60 GB
PC/Notebook SuSE 10.1 Prof. / KDE3.5.4
VDR /w KnoppMyth R5C7 (/w Myth 0.19)
--------------------------------------(August 2006)---

pgas

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:48:57 pm »
I can explain the difference:

As it is the remote sends some keyevents (defined in /etc/X11/corgi.xmodmap)
that are captured by the wm (openbox) which executes a command  corresponding to the key, for instance  xmms -f (for forward) it then communicates with the existing instance of xmms . The keybindings of openbox are defined in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml.

In the case of omega, the key events are sent directly to the xmms window, which seems to be a much faster solution, but it doesn't work if the xmms window does not have the focus.

(maybe you can try the xmmsctrl plugin, and replace the xmms calls in rc.xml  by the relevant xmmctrl calls and try to see if it is faster)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 01:50:05 pm by pgas »
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

Christoph

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 04:38:59 pm »
Hi,

I think the problem remains the same, if you use xmmsctrl or xmms directly.
For each key pressed a shell is opened and the apropriate command is executed, which
is done often if you press the key responsible for the volume.
That was exactly the reason I made
Fvwm-xmmsctrl
Your can bind keys to fvwm commands that are send (via pipe) to the module and so further on to xmms. No program nor shell to start.
It is way more responsive than other things I tried (xmmsctrl, xmms, xmms-pipe...).

Ok, you would have to use fvwm...
But there is always a drawback  .

Christoph
SL C850, pdaXrom rc10, fvwm

Zumi

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 05:14:13 pm »
Hi,
[...]
Ok, you would have to use fvwm...
But there is always a drawback  .

Christoph
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I don't see the drawback here.   Fvwm simply rocks. Half the memory consumption, double the functionality compared to matchbox.

Oh, and all the fvwm users out there, I'm preparing a fresh bunch of scripts to ease your fvwm-pdaxrom life: autogenerated rootmenu (identical to the matchbox menu), silkscreen button support, working portrait/landscape/closed switch, new taskbar applet!

(Sorry for hijacking the topic. I stop it now.)
Zumi
SL-C860: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1
SD: 1GB A-data, GPS: Haicom HI-303S, Bluetooth: Nokia DTL-1 CF, CF WiFi: ASUS SpaceLink WL-110
Browse user contributed packages for pdaXrom!

Martin

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 02:27:42 am »
Hi pgas, Hi Christoph, Hi Zumi,

thanks for detailed explenation on xmms-remote function with xmms commands, xmms-pipe, xmms-ctrl ...

is there a fast work aroud to set fvwm as window manager without making too much changes ... maybe there's a little howto which files pkg will be needed. Which files to modify ...

A strange problem is the menu structure for fvwm to look like original menu ... only via manual work I think,, or is there a automatic generation ... what about package manager generating the new entries and icons, *.desktop files?

Thanks
Martin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 02:28:18 am by Martin »
sl-c860 /w pdaXrom 1.1.0 Kathrin r121
CF 1GB , SD 2GB + 1GB + 512MB , MMC 512MB
Netgear MA701 WLAN 801b
Asus WL-HDD2.5 (very nice thing) /w 60 GB
PC/Notebook SuSE 10.1 Prof. / KDE3.5.4
VDR /w KnoppMyth R5C7 (/w Myth 0.19)
--------------------------------------(August 2006)---

Zumi

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 05:24:06 am »
Hi pgas, Hi Christoph, Hi Zumi,

thanks for detailed explenation on xmms-remote function with xmms commands, xmms-pipe, xmms-ctrl ...

is there a fast work aroud to set fvwm as window manager without making too much changes ... maybe there's a little howto which files pkg will be needed. Which files to modify ...

A strange problem is the menu structure for fvwm to look like original menu ... only via manual work I think,, or is there a automatic generation ... what about package manager generating the new entries and icons, *.desktop files?

Thanks
Martin
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87484\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
There's pdaxrom-fvwm version 0.2 in the unstable feed, but don't start to use it now.
I've written that script that generates standard menu from *.desktop files and other convenient things too, and the only thing you will have to do is rename one file and everything will be set up, and will almost look like matchbox was. I will make an ipk from it in a day or two, I just need to finalize 2-5 features in it that are just dirty hacks now.

Zumi

(Sorry for hijacking the topic again, I don't want to make this like "Ok, Kde Works; What About Gnome?" that is about Xfce support , so I stop saying things about fvwm _now_. )
SD: 1GB A-data, GPS: Haicom HI-303S, Bluetooth: Nokia DTL-1 CF, CF WiFi: ASUS SpaceLink WL-110

Christoph

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 07:38:07 am »
Hi martin (and perhaps others who are interested),

after you've installed zumi's ipk's, install the ipk below.
It is a version of the fvwm-xmms-ctrl that honours the keys of the remote
control (I hope as I can not test it).
After installation, do a
FvwmCommand "Read ConfigFvwmXMMSCtrl"
FvwmCommand "StartXMMSPlayer"

in an a- or xterm

You will not see any windows. To toggle the different xmms-windows you can
do
FvwmCommand "XMMSCommand main 1"
FvwmCommand "XMMSCommand playlist 1"
FvwmCommand "XMMSCommand equalizer 1"

in an a- or xterm. A "0" will hide the windows.

If you feel more comfortable with fvwm's configuration you can add
Read ConfigFvwmXMMCtrl
somewhere in ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc
(At the beginning e.g.)
And if you feel even more comfortable   with fvwm you can try do
add the menu called "XMMSMenu" somewhere.
There you can play,stop, start, quit, etc.

To see how it looks you also can do
FvwmCommad "Menu XMMSMenu"

in an a- or xterm.

@zumi
There is at least one drawback, IMHO:
fvwm doesn't know anything about rotation.
If you have a solution...

Christoph
SL C850, pdaXrom rc10, fvwm

Zumi

• View Profile
Zaurus Remote
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 05:12:55 pm »
[...]
@zumi
There is at least one drawback, IMHO:
fvwm doesn't know anything about rotation.
If you have a solution...

Christoph
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I have. It's not a 100% solution, but, let's say it's 70% and counting.
It's some playing with chkhinge (included in the default install) and FvwmCommand. I will make the ipk and a working solution will be included.

Zumi
(Oh my, another offtopic post by me )