Author Topic: Installation From Usb  (Read 3865 times)

benplaut

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:58 pm »
i noticed on the pdaXrom, in the instructions for installation, it mentions

8. You then have four options (1. USB, 2. CF, 3. SD, 4. Back)

i am curious about option 1, USB. Does this mean that it's possible to install pdaXrom from a USB thumbdrive? I lent my camera to my sister for her vacation iun Kentucky, and she promptly stole my 512mb SD card   , so it would be great to be able to get rid of the sharp ROM as soon as possible.

(pretty much stock English C1000)

-Ben

pgas

• View Profile
    • http://
Installation From Usb
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 02:11:41 am »
This is not specific to pdaxrom but an option in the standard sharp flash menu.

As far as I know nobody has flashed something  using USB, I'm not even sure if someone knows how it is supposed to work....
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

waalkman

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 08:44:54 pm »

i am curious about option 1, USB. Does this mean that it's possible to install pdaXrom from a USB thumbdrive? I lent my camera to my sister for her vacation iun Kentucky, and she promptly stole my 512mb SD card   , so it would be great to be able to get rid of the sharp ROM as soon as possible.

-Ben

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I appreciate your predicament, but what are you going to do if you end up being the first guy to successfully brick his Z by way of USB?

It would suck…

As for your sister, I’m right next door in Tennessee, can you provide a description? Ok lady, back slowly away from the SD card and no one has to get hurt...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 08:48:12 pm by waalkman »
C860, SMC Model SMC2642W, various sized memory cards

benplaut

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 10:24:48 pm »

-Ben

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I appreciate your predicament, but what are you going to do if you end up being the first guy to successfully brick his Z by way of USB?

It would suck…

As for your sister, I’m right next door in Tennessee, can you provide a description? Ok lady, back slowly away from the SD card and no one has to get hurt...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

i'm just going to buy an SD card to put in the camera (note post in For Sale/Wanted forum)... not going to risk it

my sister is very, very short, at WKU in Bowling Green, and is walking around taking an almost realtime flipbook of photographs with a Kodak digital camera (MINE)  

she filled up the 512mb card with 1.7mp shots in 2 days?!?!      
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:25:07 pm by benplaut »

NXK

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 05:37:08 pm »
If I remember correctly on Zs <=C860, the USB option is primarily intended to work with the serial-to-USB pigtail and the CD-ROM from Sharp.  This merely uses the USB Mass Storage to dump data into the internal Flash memory, since those models don't have USB host capabilities.  Because the C1000 does have host, you might be able to flash with a thumb drive, but there's the still the possibility that the Z is only functioning as a Mass Storage device when this option is selected.  

The best bet is probably to get a 64MB SD or CF for cheap, dedicate that to ROM flashing and keep it with your Z so you always have a failsafe in case it all goes pear-shaped while you're away from a computer.  Keep the thumb drive free for other data since it's usually easier to find a USB slot than a card reader, and ~50MB of ROM installer = tons of email/more than a few MP3s.

-NXK

benplaut

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 07:29:36 pm »
If I remember correctly on Zs <=C860, the USB option is primarily intended to work with the serial-to-USB pigtail and the CD-ROM from Sharp.  This merely uses the USB Mass Storage to dump data into the internal Flash memory, since those models don't have USB host capabilities.  Because the C1000 does have host, you might be able to flash with a thumb drive, but there's the still the possibility that the Z is only functioning as a Mass Storage device when this option is selected. 

The best bet is probably to get a 64MB SD or CF for cheap, dedicate that to ROM flashing and keep it with your Z so you always have a failsafe in case it all goes pear-shaped while you're away from a computer.  Keep the thumb drive free for other data since it's usually easier to find a USB slot than a card reader, and ~50MB of ROM installer = tons of email/more than a few MP3s.

-NXK
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
pecisely what i'm doing...

anyone have a card to donate?  

waalkman

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 11:08:32 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

My work partner's Ricoh finally gave up the ghost after taking over 35,000 shots.

What in the hell do you do with a 35,000 picture album?
C860, SMC Model SMC2642W, various sized memory cards

benplaut

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 12:23:44 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

My work partner's Ricoh finally gave up the ghost after taking over 35,000 shots.

What in the hell do you do with a 35,000 picture album?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

well, she's almost filled up (over a few years) a 40gb HDD with 1.7mp shots... amazing...

<<Edit>>

forgot to ask- is a 64mb card enough for flashing? and after flashing, is there any space left (in the NAND flash) for programs?

going to have to wait a while to get that card back (4 weeks   )
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 12:28:22 am by benplaut »

NXK

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 01:16:36 am »
Yes, 64MB is sufficent, precisely why I mentioned it...  32MB is too small.  As I said pdaXrom's installer is approximately 50MB.  This topic has also been covered a couple of times on this forum.

BTW How did you afford a Z, a digital camera, etc. if you need a 64MB SD card given to you?  I can find those for about $25.

benplaut

• View Profile
Installation From Usb
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 05:29:10 am »
Yes, 64MB is sufficent, precisely why I mentioned it...  32MB is too small.  As I said pdaXrom's installer is approximately 50MB.  This topic has also been covered a couple of times on this forum.

BTW How did you afford a Z, a digital camera, etc. if you need a 64MB SD card given to you?  I can find those for about $25.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

all these nice gifts from my Bar Mitzvah  

it seems a shame to buy a card for one time use, and then not use it when i get the camera back (and i was kidding about donations   )