Author Topic: BOCHS and DOSBOX-0.61 Uploaded  (Read 7852 times)

LordDavon

• View Profile
    • http://
BOCHS and DOSBOX-0.61 Uploaded
« on: February 04, 2004, 10:21:31 am »
Get them at http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/davonz

Again, these are untested so please comment in the feedback forum.

LD

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 08:21:36 am »
Dosbox-0.61 works but the games (example: wingcommander 2) work slowly , it\'s not playable ?

LordDavon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 09:21:58 am »
It is not going to be super fast, but did you adjust the configuration settings at all?  You can write out a configuration file (config -writeconf dosbox.conf [or something like that] from the dosbox command line) and adjust the settings.  I set mine to frameskip 3 and adjusted the cycles from 1800 to 1200.

Let me know what works best for you.

LD

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 10:15:10 am »
Thank you for your work and your information.

I shall test Dgen and advmame this week end.

Thank you still.

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 02:25:41 pm »
yes, thank you for the work.  

now I have a bunch of things to test over the weekend.

Scott

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 04:51:45 am »
Thanks a lot!

But, if you don\'t mind, I\'d like to report about some bugs found that far:

1) Mouse (stylus emulating mouse, actually) CERTAINLY needs calibrating.

2) If the application hangs, it\'s impossible to close the DOSbox window in a usual way (by clicking on X button of the window) and one has to perform a soft reset by removing the battery;

3) It\'s not clear how to press F-keys. Usual X11 solution (Cancel + number) doesn\'t seem to work. Ctrl+Fx or Alt+Fx - that\'s unknown at all...

4) When typing : (by Fn+H), it comes out a 1: instead; have to delete 1 manually; it isn\'t very convenient;

5) Not only all the programs, even XT-written (Cat, Paratrooper etc.) work very slow (now I\'ll try to find or write this config file), but XT programs and 386 protected mode programs work EQUALLY slowly. Moreover, it seems to be that V86 programs are even a bit FASTER (?). I suspect that if it ran in a full-screen VGA mode, performance would be acceptable.

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 06:09:23 am »
Tried finetunung via .conf file. First impressions:

1) No matter how I change sound emulation and bitrate (tried all disable but Adlib at 11025 Hz), music is REALLY slow & jerky anyway. I changed CPU to 1800, 1500, 1200 and 1000 without any obvious result;

2) Fullscreen VGA mode is just a bit faster, but is still doesn\'t redraw the screen as fast as at least 8-bit EGA or VGA adapter; I tried skipping 2, 3 or even 5 frames - it\'s still slow.

3) Screen ratio doesn\'t change very much (even in a fullscreen mode and without aspect ratio correction, I see 2 black stripes at the bottom and top of the screen which I don\'t see on my PC.

BTW, DOSbox types 1 not only before : , but also before all the keys typed with Fn or even Shift (I don\'t mean letters) Even holding down Shift and typing something after that causes a lot of 11111\'s. And I still haven\'t got a clue how to type functional keys

LordDavon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 08:54:44 am »
Ok.  I am going to recompile without the FPU emulation which should help a little.  It should be picking up the function keys from the X system so after the new ROM is released, I will take another look at how they are defined.

Which applications/games are you testing so I can get those to test with also.

David

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 11:01:24 am »
you should try to compile dosbox without protected mode support, protected mode is even much to slow on my pentium 800...
or better try to compile version 0.58 it should be smaller and faster and only supports real mode games :-)

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 11:28:59 am »
I use Norton Commander 5.0 in a graphic mode as a shell (it doesn\'t slow down the work very much) and some games:

CGA 320x200 games: Space Commander, Cat, Paratrooper, Arkanow (type of Arkanoid).

EGA 160x100x16 games: King\'s Quest II&III.

EGA 320x200x16 games: King\'s Quest I&IV, Hero\'s Quest I&II, Deathtrack, King Graham\'s Backgammon, Commander Keen 4-6, Keen Dreams.

EGA 640x200&640x350 games: Zeliard.

VGA 320x200 games: Magicland Dizzy, King\'s bounty, Blake Stone (I suspect it\'s a protected mode game), Wolfenstein 3D (ran on my PS/1 286 but also protected mode game if I\'m correct), Duke Nukem 2D, Raptor (protected mode game), Quest for Glory III&IV (protected mode games).

That\'s just to name a few.  If you have in mind certain game that you know how to run smoothly - please tell me and others, maybe we\'ll find out if this recipe works for other games.

BTW, please notice that even the most simple CGA games with PC Speaker sound run REALLY slowly. It seems to be the matter more of improper configuration/compilation, than of the real lack of MIPS on Z (mine is 760 one).

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 08:32:04 pm »
hey, LZ, I\'ve been trying to reach you on irc...

could you compile an xadvmame with a hard code for turbo to be \"always on\"...
you\'ll have to modify the code for this.  Basically, speed-up doesn\'t work... but
turbo always does... but you have to hold a key.  

Could ya do that for me?  THANKS!

Scott

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 02:25:08 pm »
Have just tried new Dosbox (r2 one). It doesn\'t run and says it needs libstdc++.so.5 library. What should I install?

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 02:40:44 pm »
BTW, bochs requires ROM BIOS and VGA BIOS images, as well as boot disk images (as expected though). Could anyone upload them please?

LordDavon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 05:37:38 pm »
Have just tried new Dosbox (r2 one). It doesn\'t run and says it needs libstdc++.so.5 library. What should I install?

They are most likely part of the glib ipk on the pdaxrom feed.

LD

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 01:33:57 am »
I have glib and glib-devel installed, but I haven\'t upgraded my X11 to pdaX yet. Will try and test Dosbox after that. Thanks for advice.