Author Topic: Zaurus Sl-5500 Device Anylisis  (Read 2756 times)

Brian Hursey

• View Profile
Zaurus Sl-5500 Device Anylisis
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:18:38 pm »
Well one thing I did this semester was device analysis in Human Computer Interaction. This is a device analysis I wrote for the SL-5500 I decided before I publish it out on my site yall should read it.

Tell me what you think. If my conclusions are wrong tell me why. I tried to be as unbiased as I could.  I still can add to or brush up the paper. Before I publish it out side of school.

http://www.thebattlefields.com/images/sofa/zaurus_review.pdf
Zaurus SL-5500
OZ 3.5.3 / Opie 1.2.0 -> hentges.net
Sandisk 64mb SD card
Crucial 64mb CF card

rrashkin

• View Profile
    • http://pwp.t-3.cc/rrashkin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 03:58:07 pm »
Under "Flexibility", you fail to mention the key attribute that attracted me to the Z in the first place: the ability to write and upload my own applications.  In that sense, the Z is not a PDA, or, at least, not ONLY a PDA.  When I was looking around for a portable computer, only the Z provided the user the ability to write applications using only the functions provided in the basic, off the shelf, suite; that is, JEODE.  In addition, the CF and SD slots afforded me virtually limitless expandability.
Bob Rashkin
rrashkin@csc.com
SL5500/Sharp3.1
Targus IR keyboard

GadgetGuy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 04:23:54 pm »
Well one thing I did this semester was device analysis in Human Computer Interaction. This is a device analysis I wrote for the SL-5500 I decided before I publish it out on my site yall should read it.

Tell me what you think. If my conclusions are wrong tell me why. I tried to be as unbiased as I could.  I still can add to or brush up the paper. Before I publish it out side of school.

http://www.thebattlefields.com/images/sofa/zaurus_review.pdf
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Brian, overall a great report. However I would polish the structure and language up, before publishing it outside of school ( if you want to do that), as it does not sound very professional the way it is now...
Zaurus C-3100 from PriceJapan with OZ 3.5.4.1. Opie and GPE
Ambicom CF WL1100C Wifi Card and Symbol Wireless Networker CF Wifi Card
1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD
PdAir leather case - Nintendo DS metal case
various smaller CF and SD cards
all kinds of USB cables and accessories
-------------------------------------------------------------
Previous computers: TI 99/4A, ZX81, C64, Amiga 500, Apple Powerbook 100
Previous PDA's: Palm 1000, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Audiovox Maestro Pocket PC, Psion 5mx
Current PDA: Palm Tungsten E2
Current favourite: Zaurus C3100 - my "micro laptop"

Brian Hursey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 04:32:18 pm »
Brian, overall a great report. However I would polish the structure and language up, before publishing it outside of school ( if you want to do that), as it does not sound very professional the way it is now...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks,
Ok, I will see what I can do in that department.  Writing is not one of my strong areas. I have Dyslexia and Dysgaphia so even through i'm good with technology. My language skills are bellow my education level.  I may get my mom to help me edit it. She majored in English.

I am also going to build on the flexibility section because as with him the ability to use it as a development platform was a strong point of me buying it.
Zaurus SL-5500
Sandisk 64mb SD card
Crucial 64mb CF card

Rev.Tigger

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 06:24:29 pm »
Nice review.

I am not sure that I would compare it to a normal PDA,  especially when you consider what you are reviewing is a discontinued device which is now running custom software   Hell you can't go out and buy these in the shops   We are now more into hot rodding country    Take a good solid device,   decide that it isn't dead yet and there is plenty of power left in it and tweak it till it kicks arse again

I am not sure how many people buy Zaurii primarily as a PDA,  I didn't.  I wanted something that talked SSH that I could connect to my phone  

For me the Zaurus is why I don't have to haul a laptop around,  and I don't have a wizzy 3100 or anything just a plain old 5500,  if i am going to the colo just for some routine stuff I leave the lappy in the car,  if I need to connect to the network for simple stuff I connect the Zaurus,  if I get a systems alert I can use my Z and phone from anywhere I can get a signal,  being able to login to servers and kick them from the pub is very useful

It is a technological swiss army knife,  I have ethernet, wifi,  bluetooth and irda.  It holds half a gig of data which I can expand by putting in a bigger SD card,  and are now around £80 on ebay.

For normal PDA users I think that they will be happier elsewhere as they will want something that just works,  unfortunatly OZ is not there yet,  this is not a criticism just a state of play.    Then again I don't class the Z as a PDA,  it is full machine that fits in your pocket,  or actually Sharp did get it right with the naming, it is a Personal Mobile Tool.  

Oh and sniffing the wifi networks when you are waiting in the queue at the supermarket is geeky fun too

Brian Hursey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 07:37:37 pm »
Oh and sniffing the wifi networks when you are waiting in the queue at the supermarket is geeky fun too
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

LOL you do that too?    Iv acualy done that on a cupple ocasions I even sniffed one in a move theater.  My feance hit me in sthe sholder.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:39:09 pm by Brian Hursey »
Zaurus SL-5500
Sandisk 64mb SD card
Crucial 64mb CF card

TsingTao

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:22:08 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

LOL you do that too?  ...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Man...we've ALL done that  

I used to do little warwalking surveys at work (possibly not such a bright idea since I worked at a government installation and signed away my legal/constituational rights whenever I set foot on the property...), security was pretty good, I only ever discovered one unsecured AP and successfully reached the internet (I reported it of course).  But one day I forgot to turn it off as I drove home.  25 minutes of driving and I found like 300 networks...most of them WIDE open.

"Sweetie Z...we're going to do GREAT things together...  "

That's one of the main things I miss about the my old 5500 (sold to help finance the purchase of a C-1000).  Kismet and Wellenreiter were pretty simple to get up and running on them.  Though I've heard others have had success, I still haven't gotten them to work reliably on my C-1000.  Wellenreiter works, but crashes seconds after it starts displaying info.  It's like a wifi-snarfing-geek-tease...

As for the paper.  Yeah...get it proof read, but other than that I enjoyed reading it.  It touched on all the major points and was pretty well articulated.  The conclusion is spot on as I'm sure most other Z owners/users will agree...

The one thing I might have done differently had I written it was give a bit more review of the keyboard since the topic is about interacting with the device (and that was one of the features that attracted ME to the zaurus line).  But then you might have been focusing more specifically on the soft interaction aspect...

Good job, and thanks for sharing...
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-5500 (formerly)
C-1000  (Currently)

- PQI 512 MB SD / PQI 1GB CF
- D-Link 660W / Socket 10/100 CF Ethernet / Taurgus 56k Modem
- USB Host Cable / Fellowes USB KB / Folding USB KB / Mini Optical Mouse
- 100v - 240v AC adapter /Semson Battery extender (what's up
   with the screw???)
[/span]

"It's all in the reflexes..." - Jack Burton