Author Topic: Freeciv  (Read 3556 times)

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
Freeciv
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:33:01 pm »
Freeciv 2 compiles  for pdaxrom (I've mentioned it before) just compiled on my z in rc 12.

as is, it has a couple defects:

larger than screen size--even in icewm.  Not too bad, playable in landscape mode, and moving the game window is snappy. It isn't too terribly oversized, so this might seem liveable

runs only as non-root user. anyone know how to get a non-root process to display in a root X window? I didn't get sudo xauthmerge /home/root/.Xauthority to work.

I have the binary now, if anyone wants it. Otherwise, maybe there are ways to overcome the current issues?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

gromituk

• View Profile
Freeciv
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:45:17 pm »
anyone know how to get a non-root process to display in a root X window?
Won't 'xhost +' do it?

adf

• View Profile
Freeciv
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 04:57:35 pm »
anyone know how to get a non-root process to display in a root X window?
Won't 'xhost +' do it?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Uh oh ...reaching for pointy hat....  It does indeed...
That takes care of issue 2... and issue 1 isn't too bad. maybe I should learn to make ipks.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

maxg

• View Profile
Freeciv
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 11:16:46 am »
I compiled it too and had the same issue (it doesn't want to run as root). You can either add -DALWAYS_ROOT in the makefile or patch utility/shared.c line 1305 (function dont_run_as_root) to just return. I'm trying to fix the size too, but it's not working well so far ... no yet at least

PS : to make an IPK start with one from the pdaXrom feed, untar it, untar control.tar.gz, edit control, tar with tar czf control.tar.gz ./control, create a data.tar.gz containing your package (best in a usr folder, data in usr/share, be sure you have a proper ./configure with a right --datadir to search in)  with tar czvf data.tar.gz ./usr and finally tar czvf mypackage_version_armv5tel.ipk ./debian-binary ./control.tar.gz ./data.tar.gz
Don't forget the ./ ! If they are missing your package will not work.

If you compile with -mcpu iwmmxt I think it may be good to change the armv5tel suffix (so that SL-6000/SL-xx0 don't try to install it and get illegal instruction) but there is no standard yet (I'll try to contact sashz about that)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 11:23:02 am by maxg »
All my reports and testing were made (if no other mention given) on SL-C1000

adf

• View Profile
Freeciv
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:06:23 pm »
I compiled it too and had the same issue (it doesn't want to run as root). You can either add -DALWAYS_ROOT in the makefile or patch utility/shared.c line 1305 (function dont_run_as_root) to just return. I'm trying to fix the size too, but it's not working well so far ... no yet at least

PS : to make an IPK start with one from the pdaXrom feed, untar it, untar control.tar.gz, edit control, tar with tar czf control.tar.gz ./control, create a data.tar.gz containing your package (best in a usr folder, data in usr/share, be sure you have a proper ./configure with a right --datadir to search in)  with tar czvf data.tar.gz ./usr and finally tar czvf mypackage_version_armv5tel.ipk ./debian-binary ./control.tar.gz ./data.tar.gz
Don't forget the ./ ! If they are missing your package will not work.

If you compile with -mcpu iwmmxt I think it may be good to change the armv5tel suffix (so that SL-6000/SL-xx0 don't try to install it and get illegal instruction) but there is no standard yet (I'll try to contact sashz about that)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks

Ok..so the root thing looks solved. (It did work after you added -DALWAYS_ROOT, right?)

on the size thing....  maybe thereis a way to break apart the "control window" and the "map window" and then run 'em tabbed?  I have absolutely no idea how to do that, but it would be a good solution for small screen play
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 03:08:18 pm by adf »

maxg

• View Profile
Freeciv
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:28:49 pm »
Actually I added #define ALWAYS_ROOT in shared.c (or in config.h ? should be the same) and it just worked OK.

on the size thing.... maybe thereis a way to break apart the "control window" and the "map window" and then run 'em tabbed? I have absolutely no idea how to do that, but it would be a good solution for small screen play

Sounds like an idea to me. The map takes most of the screen by itself ; having other controls in a tabbed windows would be a solution (and it is maybe not that hard to do with GTK).
I will look further into the code to see if it can somehow be done, but I will probably have to ask the freeciv developpers for some help to achive this. Maybe there should be some SVN or CVS containing all the patches for zaurus (and possibly other small screen devices) for easier cooperative effort, would anyone want to help do this.
All my reports and testing were made (if no other mention given) on SL-C1000

adf

• View Profile
Freeciv
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 10:59:25 pm »
Actually I added #define ALWAYS_ROOT in shared.c (or in config.h ? should be the same) and it just worked OK.

on the size thing.... maybe thereis a way to break apart the "control window" and the "map window" and then run 'em tabbed? I have absolutely no idea how to do that, but it would be a good solution for small screen play

Sounds like an idea to me. The map takes most of the screen by itself ; having other controls in a tabbed windows would be a solution (and it is maybe not that hard to do with GTK).
I will look further into the code to see if it can somehow be done, but I will probably have to ask the freeciv developpers for some help to achive this. Maybe there should be some SVN or CVS containing all the patches for zaurus (and possibly other small screen devices) for easier cooperative effort, would anyone want to help do this.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Want to help? sure. capable of doing very many useful software mods? doubtful.  I can host stuff, and I can read....