Author Topic: Working Tomtom Nav On Angstrom  (Read 151786 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Working Tomtom Nav On Angstrom
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 05:54:17 pm »
I note that the only kernel module is the sd.ko file for 2.6.10.

hmmm. I wonder if there are any OZ people with 2.6 kernel who'd be interested.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 06:08:34 pm »
Just curious if it would be possible to run the navigation software from TomTom on the Zaurus? What GIU is used on TomTom GO?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

in a small way there's good news... TomTom have their own custom library and write to the frame buffer - so there's no QT, X11 or anything at all! There's a "hello world" application on the opentom website. I'm going to copy the tomtom programs to my 860 and see what happens.

I tried the opentom media player image, but unfortunately it simply produces white noise, so the kernel they made must have a sound driver incompatible with the TTG300. I tried a hybrid image using the kernel from the tomtom distribution with the filesystem from the media player, and although it booted it got no further. I'd have to make a serial cable to go any further.

all in all, its an interesting challenge. unlike the Z there's little chance of bricking it, since the bootloader is in ROM, and the system is all on SD card and loaded when the device starts up. this does mean there's not much room though! The opentom people have the intention of providing a "serial" console over rfcomm, which would be quite useful.

Hopefully there will be news soon of a decent SD card driver.

I reckon the OZ people would have a head start on this, given I'm a sharp/cacko person so am stuck in the dark ages of 2.4 kernels :-)
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

gab74

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 02:39:28 pm »
i've a C3100 with Cacko ROM. I'm very interested in TOM TOM for Zaurus so even if i'm a system admin i can help as a tester. If you want to test contact me i'm very glad to help Tom Tom on Zaurus.
Gabriele
NOW : C3100 (code name Laudicus)- SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307 - BLUETOOTH CF BELKIN - ETHERNET CF TRENDNET TE-CF100
BEFORE: SL6000L (code name Anselmus) - 512MB SD - 256MB CF - SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 07:06:57 pm »

We have SD/MMC working perfectly on 2.6.15 (all models except the collie of course).

Thanks for the pointer anyway!
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 03:03:01 am »

We have SD/MMC working perfectly on 2.6.15 (all models except the collie of course).

Thanks for the pointer anyway!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Is that using the SD driver that's in the regular linux 2.6 distro? The tomtom guys already had that but they say it's not that quick, they aim to have a really high speed one.

I'm going to give the latest OZ a try-out as soon as I've got time... it seems to be getting pretty advanced these days, and hopefully will be as stable as I need!

chiark

• View Profile
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 05:05:27 am »
Sorry for the daft question, but does this mean it is likely/possible that TomTom will be able to run on the Zaurus?

If so...   Wow.

I currently use TomTom on my HTC Wizard, and the Z's screen would be better for in car use.

Anyone fancy starting a project to co-ordinate efforts on this?  

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 07:28:10 am »
I had a go at getting tomtom nav to run on my 860; once I got the right libraries on it, it tried to start up but couldn't find the bluetooth server daemons it needed; I got one to start but failed with the other... and then I ran out of time.

So, I suspect it will be possible with a lot of hackery, but it will probably run in 320x240 mode!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 06:06:46 pm »
I started a WIKI entry for GPS in general.

https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=GPS

I've not had time to do much with this, as I am putting all my energy into looking for a new job, something I didn't expect to have to do :-(

chiark

• View Profile
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 04:08:35 am »
Sorry to hear that  .  At least there seems to be a fair bit around in the Cambridge area, particularly if you're looking for work in the embedded sector which might suit you?

Thanks for the WIKI, that's a great help.  I might try to have a play, but as always I'm busy with other things: for starters, this bathroom that I've now ripped out isn't going to magically fit itself unfortunately  

Good luck with the job hunting.

DrWowe

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 03:53:41 pm »
Does this include support for the latest SD and MMCplus cards >= 2 gigs?

I tried a fresh bitbake build (using linux-openzaurus-2.6.14+2.6.15-rc7-r2) a few weeks ago and neither worked then.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 03:54:35 pm by DrWowe »

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 05:23:02 pm »
Life has been "interesting" as of late... but I've made the effort to get back into looking at tomtom navigator (TTN) running on zaurus.

The first step was to take the ttsystem file and split it, using the tools from opentom, and then copy the files into /home/tomtom. TTN uses busybox for many command, but uses a different libc. After briefly trying various tricks with LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc, I was unable to run the commands, so I resorted to "chroot /home/tomtom bin/sh", which gave me a working shell.

The TTN linux distro runs a command called "ttn", which does all the work; it's this program that the early OpenTom programs replaced. Incidentally, OpenTom is coming along very well, even managing to allow you to "dual boot" their media player and TT's navigation s/w, and maybe even switch from one to other. Anyway, I digress.

The first attempt to run the ttn binary caused a spew of errors, and then it killed  the Z stone dead; at first I panicked as it wouldn't turn on again, but unplugging from USB and pulling the battery sorted that.

I started fixing the errors reported to console (luckily for us, TT tell us all sorts of useful things). Most of them were missing devices, so I copied them over from the Z and added links (TTN wants framebuffer device as /dev/fb for example).

I then removed reboot and other "dangerous" commands, replacing with a script to indicate they were called. Didn't stop ttn killing the Z dead!

"strings ttn" reveals some very interesting tricks to make ttn completely self-sustained - dialling scripts and all sorts.

I was able to copy a few useful Z commands to the TTN image, such as "ldd" to see what it was doing.

So far, I've gotten ttn to open the framebuffer and the touchscreen, and next I need to spoof the sdcard!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 05:42:25 pm »
I should add that ttn barely opens the framebuffer and touchscreen before it crashes

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 06:36:12 pm »
ha! copied across tinylogin + the softlink to "su", and now when I run ttn it doesn't kill the Z. Snag is, it reports a lot of critical things not found, and I have no clue how to create replacements... I shall have to see if I get a shell into my TTG300 and then I can see what the missing devices and /proc files look like. I tried creating dummies but it doesn't like it too much!

# chroot /home/tomtom bin/sh

BusyBox v1.00 (2004.12.03-11:19+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

\[\033]2;\w\007\]\$ su - zaurus

BusyBox v1.00 (2004.12.03-11:19+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

$ cd /
$ bin/ttn
malloc_init: Never using mmap for malloc
Checking whether blueaclserver.a is running (bluetooth)
Executing [pidof 'blueaclserver.a' > /var/run/temp.txt]
#### RECEIVED SIGNAL 17 [errno 0, code 1]
#### Sent by process: pid 984, uid 500
#### Exit status: 1, user time: 1, system time: 1
#### RESUMING
Error returned: 256
succeeded in opening /var/run/temp.txt
bluetooth_available = 0
Opening in MASTER mode
The framebuffer device was opened successfully.
InitScreen: 480x640, 16bpp - portrait - fake: 640x480
The framebuffer device was mapped to 0x40255000 successfully.
Initialized touchscreen
Warning: Unable to open /dev/remote: No such file or directory
GetProcInt: Unable to read value from /proc/barcelona/sdcard
Adding signal handler for SD hot swapping
sdhotswap_Init: ERROR: /dev/sdcard could not be opened: Permission denied
GetProcInt: Unable to read value from /proc/barcelona/modelid
Error -9000
Unmounting SD Card...FAILED: Invalid argument
Unmounting flash...FAILED: Invalid argument
Powering off because the game frame couldn't be initialized
Forcefully unmounting /mnt/flash...FAILED: Invalid argument
Forcefully unmounting /mnt/sdcard...FAILED: Invalid argument
wd_set: WARNING: Attempt to set watchdog, but not opened yet!
$

tovarish

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 03:26:45 am »
wow but you are indeed making progress. why dont you apply with tomtom in the netherlands, they are looking for people

lack of mapping applications are the only serious drawback to me for the zaurus.

ltrm

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 01:11:17 pm »
This really is exciting!  I agree with Tovarish, a good GPS application would be a killer app (for me anyway     )

Have you thought about adding a link to your page for sponcership?  I think that this is a really worth while project and would support it.  Its probably fairly unlikely but you could even point out the size of the Japanese Z market to TomTom and see if they'd also sponcer you....  
C860 - pdaXrom + XFCE4 <montyBurns>mmm Excellent</montyBurns>
Socket Bluetooth rev E - Socket low-power WiFi
1Gb Microdrive - Integral 1Gb SD
Belkin IR Keyboard - Pretec (Royaltek RBT-3000) BluetoothGPS
CE-RH1 remote control - Solar charger + some other bits 'n' bobs