Author Topic: Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2  (Read 119172 times)

iamasmith

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 05:33:45 pm »
@sylpil : would you be interrested in a pivot_root install for c3100 ? if yes, why ?
(I should make one if enough people are interrested in this one)

I'm interested. Presumably it would mean no more symlinking madness?

However it seems that the HDD has to be repartitioned into a single 4GB (correct me if I'm wrong as I have only been following this thread on and off). Is it not possible to retain a fat partition so that the Z can still be used as a usb-storage device for dumb windoze clients?

-- cheers
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110546\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The technique of pivot_root should work regardless of the size of the /dev/hda1 partition, I think ThC has added this to the beta because a lot of people want to use the whole 4Gb for Linuxy stuff.

It should still be feasible to have additional partitions on the drive to do the usb-storage mount but selectable partition sizes obviously adds to the complexity of the installer.

One thing I will say is that with the standard partitioning you soon run out of space unless you mount /dev/hda2 onto the filesystem and configure that as an install point for package installation. I decided when I did some legwork onto the pivot_root stuff that 4Gb seemed appealing and it looks like ThC also thought that was great too.

Other options may be to manually prep the file systems manually prior to install (using a suitable version of fdisk of course) to get just the partitioning scheme required and then edit the /etc/fstab accordingly...  I'm sure that these things will be discussed more widely if the mechanism 'makes the grade'

- Andy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 05:34:43 pm by iamasmith »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

chrisluu

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 11:28:51 pm »
So far it works pretty well. The only issue I'm having is that when I turn off/suspend the Zaurus, the hard drive light stays lit. Is this normal behavior? Can we stop it from lighting? I don't think that the hard drive is actually active.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110520\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Remove the SD card, and they are no problem ... hard drive stop light.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've turned off the Zaurus without any cards in at all (SD or CF) and the hard drive light still stays lit. It's been that way for several hours and hasn't really lost any battery power, so I'm assuming that the hard drive isn't being used, but the light is still rather annoying. Any ideas?

desertrat

• View Profile
    • http://
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 12:05:09 am »
The technique of pivot_root should work regardless of the size of the /dev/hda1 partition, I think ThC has added this to the beta because a lot of people want to use the whole 4Gb for Linuxy stuff.

Good to know that there is no fundamental technical reason why a single partition has to be used.

Other options may be to manually prep the file systems manually prior to install (using a suitable version of fdisk of course) to get just the partitioning scheme required and then edit the /etc/fstab accordingly...  I'm sure that these things will be discussed more widely if the mechanism 'makes the grade'

No problem, if it's too much bother to incorporate into the installer, then just have the user prep the HD beforehand and allow them to specify which partition to install to?

-- cheers
SL-C3100 / Ambicon WL1100C-CF / pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 / IceWM

desertrat

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 12:13:44 am »
Yes no fat partition, Z cannot be used as a usb-storage.
Install Winscp on Windows and you can made FTP over SSH (with TCP/IP over USB).
I think every body here prefer to use TCP/IP over USB to take control of his Zaurus (SSH) than mount usb-storage like a USB-Key 
When doing transfers between Linux and Z I usually ssh (KDE's network transparency features makes this dead easy).

But when connected to dumb windoze clients I would rather use usb-storage because support for that is builtin to recent versions of windoze and requires no configuration/setup whatsoever. Using TCP/IP over USB requires fiddling with windoze network settings -- and does windoze still require a reboot after every little change?

-- cheers

ThC

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 02:46:57 am »
@desertrat : choosing a partition would add to much complexity too (need to change some config files in the pivot_root image dynamically to do such a thing...), btw, it will automatically install on the first partition of the hard drive, which only need to be > 128Mo ...so you can partition it as you want as long as you let a first partition greater than 128Mb ... after it will just be a matter of editing your fstab after first reboot.

As for the cf in slot while booting problem : this one is a bug encountered by openembedded too ... I'm going to make some tests to see if I can get rid of this one, using some HD detection scripts as I did in the installer but I'm not sure whether the pivot_root image I borrowed from openemdded will support these scripts .

@C3100 users : I'll try to produce a testing pivot_root install soon ( will just be an update in updater.sh btw) so you can test if pivot_root is more efficient than this "symlink nightmare" some of you seem to have
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:48:53 am by ThC »
SL-C3000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0Beta1
SL-C860 - pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8 (charging circuitry dead :( )
CF RamStar 512 Mb / Hitachi 4Gb microdrive (thanks to creative's muvo² :p)
SD Sandisk 1Gb / Viking 256 Mb
Linksys WCF13 CF wifi card

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

ThC

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 04:11:11 am »
Could someone with a C3100 give me the output of "sfdisk -l /dev/hdc" with a standard partitionning please ?
(sfdisk should not be disponible booting on pdaXrom or cacko/sharp rom so you may need to do it while booting in with D+B or using pdaXrom's installer
SL-C3000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0Beta1
SL-C860 - pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8 (charging circuitry dead :( )
CF RamStar 512 Mb / Hitachi 4Gb microdrive (thanks to creative's muvo² :p)
SD Sandisk 1Gb / Viking 256 Mb
Linksys WCF13 CF wifi card

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

iamasmith

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 04:47:13 am »
So far it works pretty well. The only issue I'm having is that when I turn off/suspend the Zaurus, the hard drive light stays lit. Is this normal behavior? Can we stop it from lighting? I don't think that the hard drive is actually active.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110520\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Remove the SD card, and they are no problem ... hard drive stop light.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've turned off the Zaurus without any cards in at all (SD or CF) and the hard drive light still stays lit. It's been that way for several hours and hasn't really lost any battery power, so I'm assuming that the hard drive isn't being used, but the light is still rather annoying. Any ideas?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do you have anything plugged into the Z at all when you do that? USB etc?

Could you be specific about any apps or services that you have running that may be in addition to the base build.

Strictly speaking neither of these should cause true ide suspend problems all non-kernel threads should be in the STOP state when apm kicks in and they get sent a CONT signal once things have resumed, however, we found that until syslog was moved off the hdd that suspend actually didn't suspend the hdd. (goes off to check OE patch set - I suspect that there should be a sync prior to Microdrive suspend and maybe the suspend code is timing out waiting for this to occur)

- Andy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 06:51:33 am by iamasmith »

desertrat

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 08:20:59 am »
@desertrat : choosing a partition would add to much complexity too (need to change some config files in the pivot_root image dynamically to do such a thing...), btw, it will automatically install on the first partition of the hard drive, which only need to be > 128Mo ...so you can partition it as you want as long as you let a first partition greater than 128Mb ... after it will just be a matter of editing your fstab after first reboot.

Excellent, that's probably the most simple solution to the problem

-- cheers

desertrat

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 08:25:00 am »
Could someone with a C3100 give me the output of "sfdisk -l /dev/hdc" with a standard partitionning please ?
(sfdisk should not be disponible booting on pdaXrom or cacko/sharp rom so you may need to do it while booting in with D+B or using pdaXrom's installer

Sorry I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're wanting to know the partitioning of the HDD as shipped by Sharp then it's:

Code: [Select]
# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 4095 MB, 4095737856 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7936 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1          20       10048+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2              21          40       10080   83  Linux
/dev/hda3              41        7936     3979584    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

-- cheers

iamasmith

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 08:31:38 am »

Sorry I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're wanting to know the partitioning of the HDD as shipped by Sharp then it's:

Code: [Select]
# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 4095 MB, 4095737856 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7936 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1          20       10048+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2              21          40       10080   83  Linux
/dev/hda3              41        7936     3979584    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

-- cheers
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Desertrat, could you repeat that please using sfdisk and not fdisk, sfdisk gives more accurate information (down to block start for partition etc).

Thanks,

- Andy

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 09:24:58 am »
I hate slow downloads and although I don't normally mirror non-c7x0/860 stuff...

I put the 3000b2 here ...

http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/3000/

Scott

desertrat

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 09:45:02 am »
Desertrat, could you repeat that please using sfdisk and not fdisk, sfdisk gives more accurate information (down to block start for partition etc).

Sorry I can't    That was historic information (I saved it in case I might need in the future). My hdd doesn't look anything like that anymore  

-- cheers

iamasmith

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 10:20:14 am »

Sorry I can't    That was historic information (I saved it in case I might need in the future). My hdd doesn't look anything like that anymore  

-- cheers
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ah ok, anyone else with an SL-C3100 (default format) that can give us the output of sfdisk -l ?

iamasmith

• View Profile
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2006, 11:58:59 am »
FYI: If you are experiencing problems with suspend not happening on the hdd then take note.

The FIRST thing to be put out of service by the kernel during a suspend cycle is the display, it doesn't necessarily follow that if your screen is blank that your machine is in full suspend.

There is a telltale action that occurs upon full suspend if your Z if plugged in and charging, that is the charging light will flicker off and back on when the Z hits full suspend.

I have a theory about the suspend issue but I need to talk to ThC about it, since making my initial comments about syslogd I have observed the issue with other cards plugged in and usb devices connected. - I just built myself a new Kernel and these problems are gone (I think) - I do need to discuss it with ThC though, he may already have these options set.

- Andy

pyknite

• View Profile
    • http://pyknite.monserveurperso.com
Pdaxrom For C3000 Beta2
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2006, 12:08:07 pm »
hum... i have a problem with one lib  i have this error:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

i found this post: https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15693 (pinned)

but the ipk doesn't work and libstdc is already installed... what can i do?

thx
zaurus sl-c3000 - under pdaXrom1.0.1 for sl-c3000
Wifi +BT CF card
utopik Blog
Mirror for pdaXrom sl-c3000