Author Topic: Call For Discussion: Dual Boot  (Read 4054 times)

Seb

• View Profile
    • http://
Call For Discussion: Dual Boot
« on: February 18, 2006, 05:51:54 pm »
hi there

this is a call to discuss ways to dual boot with pdaxrom as "main" rom

how could this possibly be achieved?

currently i'm thinking of what follows where at least the kernel would have to stay the same

it should be something like this:
- copy whole directory/ file structure to sd card
- invent new runlevel or just change existing one
- write script to be called at first in this new runlevel
- this script should do something like remount /proc and /dev and chroot to previously copied directory/ file structure similar to gentooforzaurus

what do you think? feasible? are there any better ways? possibly ways where kernel does not have to be the same?

regards
seb

ThC

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:40:00 pm »
the problem is not about booting scripts as we already have some (like the one I'm using taken from oz booting scripts wich could permit us to dual boot with minor mods)... the problem is about libc used in different distrib ...
It would require either compile a pdaXrom with same libc as oz or sharp rom (only way to have a realy useable dual boot with sharp rom) or recompile an oz rom using same libc as pdaXrom ...
I already asked for people able to recompile oe using pdaXrom's libc but noone answered ... btw I don't have time for now to discover oz build system as I have to finish my work on pdaXrom one before ...
SL-C3000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0Beta1
SL-C860 - pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8 (charging circuitry dead :( )
CF RamStar 512 Mb / Hitachi 4Gb microdrive (thanks to creative's muvo² :p)
SD Sandisk 1Gb / Viking 256 Mb
Linksys WCF13 CF wifi card

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

pgas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:29:39 am »
dual booting should be possible now, using linux as a bootloader:

-Kernel switcher modules for c3000 altavista translation

- kexec seems to be working with latest 2.6.15 kernel (see for instance  this page)
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

sashz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:01:24 am »
dual booting should be possible now, using linux as a bootloader:

-Kernel switcher modules for c3000 altavista translation

- kexec seems to be working with latest 2.6.15 kernel (see for instance  this page)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That easy with new mmc sd module - compile new mmcsd module inside kernel with cmdline="root=/dev/mmcda1 init=/sbin/init", unpack pdaXrom( or debian for example) rootfs to sd or mmc card, and with pyro's kernel reloader module boot up new system.

jgardia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:19:13 am »
the problem is not about booting scripts as we already have some (like the one I'm using taken from oz booting scripts wich could permit us to dual boot with minor mods)... the problem is about libc used in different distrib ...
It would require either compile a pdaXrom with same libc as oz or sharp rom (only way to have a realy useable dual boot with sharp rom) or recompile an oz rom using same libc as pdaXrom ...
I already asked for people able to recompile oe using pdaXrom's libc but noone answered ... btw I don't have time for now to discover oz build system as I have to finish my work on pdaXrom one before ...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I think that we (pdaXrom) should move to a newer glbic version. We are using 2.2.5 and oe are using 2.3.[2-3], I think.
you are asking them to downgrade glibc's version, why don't we upgrade ours?

Regards,

Jose

Proud TOSA user

ThC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 11:11:13 am »
@jgardia : I guess this one is to be asked to sashz as he's the main developper of pdaXrom main branch ... i'm not even an "official" pdaXrom developper and I'm only working on the c3000 port on my free time (not as frequently as I would like to btw) ... beside, every package would have to be recompiled for a new release of pdaXrom that would use a newer libc (or we may be able to have some compat packages as we have for running some rc8 packages on rc10+).
Btw I don't know if sashz have time to work on this as it would probably require a lot of patches to be remade for everything to compile well .
I may try by myself to compile a pdaXrom version against glibc2.3.3 but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to achieve anything ...

I were proposing to compile an OZ distrib with downgraded glibc because OZ claims to be compatible with any glibc , which pdaXrom doesn't

EDIT : I'm not asking OZ team to downgrade their main branch to an older glibc, but am talking about haveing an other OZ-based distrib dedicated to multi-boot

EDIT2 : after 5 minutes of reflexion, i think kernel swapping is definitely the way to go as either we'll lose the advantage of one of the worlds as not being able to have their software library useable "out of the box"  (or move pdaXrom's main dev branch to a newer glibc which doesn't depend on me ^^)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:19:37 am by ThC »

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

Seb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 11:21:50 am »
hmm..
but why is glibc relevant when interfering in init-v-process? i mean, there is only kernel and sbin/init before that, isn't it?

ThC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:50 am »
well, I dont think there's a real need to interfere in init-v process to dual-boot, the kernel swithing can be implemented either before or during the sbin/init scripts loading ... the glibc concerns are about being able to use the same kernel for the 2 used distribs which would be easyer (I'm a little bit lazy sometimes )...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:32:30 am by ThC »

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:00:39 pm »
OpenZaurus 3.5.4 use glibc 2.3.5+cvs20050627

After 3.5.4 we will work on getting 2.6 for c7x0 and cxx00 machines (maybe tosa too). Our current 2.6 kernel has kexec functionality so you can flash 2.6 kernel, boot it and then use kexec to load any other kernel. Ofcourse switching from that other kernel require reboot or kexec support.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.