Author Topic: Questions About My New Zaurus  (Read 2706 times)

mr_clark

• View Profile
Questions About My New Zaurus
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:04:21 pm »
I have a few quick questions. I just ordered a SL-C1000 from pricejapan.com. Can't wait to get it. While I'm waiting I'm trying to research different options.

I currently have a SL-5000 so I am familiar with using a Zaurus.

1) What are the major differences between the Cacko ROM and PDAXROM?

2) From my research I think I want to go with the PDAXROM. How difficult is it to install Pocketworkstation on the SL-C1000 with PDAXROM? The instructions on the Pocketworkstation site don't mention the SL-C1000. Just want to make sure there's no major hurdles to overcome.

3) Openoffice. Is it true that the only way to run Openoffice.org is by installing Pocketworkstation.

4) Screen protectors. My 5000 is using a screen protector from pdascreenprotectors.com. On their site they only mention the SL-C760. Is the screen protector the same for both models? I did email the company but they're a little slow with responses to queries. Unless somebody has recommendations for a better screen protector?

5) Password software. I'm currently using zsafe for keeping track of my passwords etc. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good password management software? I really like the look of keepass but I don't think there's a zaurus version available. Or could I run it under Pocketworkstation?

Sorry if these questions are answered already somewhere else. I've been reading until my eyes start to bleed and I'm a little confused about a few things.

Thanks in advance.

mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:06:58 pm »
Just thought of one more question. I'm looking for a 802.11 card for my zaurus. Is there any support for 802.11G on the Zaurus? Some of the sites mention that it isn't supported but a lot of the docs are very outdated.

Thanks again!

brashley46

• View Profile
    • http://brashley46.no-ip.info
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:28:50 pm »
Just thought of one more question. I'm looking for a 802.11 card for my zaurus. Is there any support for 802.11G on the Zaurus? Some of the sites mention that it isn't supported but a lot of the docs are very outdated.

Thanks again!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117134\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
No, still not, so far as I know anyway; any of those documents would be updated right away if it were, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:29:10 pm by brashley46 »
B. Ross Ashley
http://brashley46.livejournal.com
http://brashley46.no-ip.info
Home desktops: Hewlett-Packard Kayak XM600 running Xandros Desktop Home Edition Premium (4.1), on a P3 Coppermine processor w/ 20G harddrive, 256 MB RAM; Abyss X2 server running on a local shop-built special with Intel Celeron 1.8GHz processor, 40G harddrive running Win XP Home SP2; and my wife's eMac running OS X3.9

Handheld: C860 running CACkO 1.23, with a Panasonic Class 2 1G SD card and a GXT 1G CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF wifi card, and a CE-AG06 camera card.

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:12:15 pm »
I have a few quick questions. I just ordered a SL-C1000 from pricejapan.com. Can't wait to get it. While I'm waiting I'm trying to research different options.

I currently have a SL-5000 so I am familiar with using a Zaurus.

1) What are the major differences between the Cacko ROM and PDAXROM?

2) From my research I think I want to go with the PDAXROM. How difficult is it to install Pocketworkstation on the SL-C1000 with PDAXROM? The instructions on the Pocketworkstation site don't mention the SL-C1000. Just want to make sure there's no major hurdles to overcome.

3) Openoffice. Is it true that the only way to run Openoffice.org is by installing Pocketworkstation.

4) Screen protectors. My 5000 is using a screen protector from pdascreenprotectors.com. On their site they only mention the SL-C760. Is the screen protector the same for both models? I did email the company but they're a little slow with responses to queries. Unless somebody has recommendations for a better screen protector?

5) Password software. I'm currently using zsafe for keeping track of my passwords etc. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good password management software? I really like the look of keepass but I don't think there's a zaurus version available. Or could I run it under Pocketworkstation?

Sorry if these questions are answered already somewhere else. I've been reading until my eyes start to bleed and I'm a little confused about a few things.

Thanks in advance.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The Cacko ROM is based on the Sharp ROM and thus runs Qtopia which is very stable but dated. It runs most older applications (lots of them) well, but there aren't many new apps.
pdaXrom is based on X windows and thus many opensource X applications can be ported to pdaXrom. However, it is still under development, ie still beta and thus not everything is working perfectly yet.

PocketWorkstation can be installed onto the C1000. Follow the instructions for the C3000/C31000 since the keyboard map and most other things for the C1000 is the same as those models. However, you will run into trouble with space on your C1000 unless you have a large SD or CF card to install PocketWorkstation to.

OpenOffice needs glibc 2.3.2 which PocketWorkstation is using. It is possible to upgrade pdaXrom to a newer glibc, but you might break other applications.

Again, go for a screen protector for a C3000 since the two machines are the exact same size. the c760 should have the same screen size as well.

Remember your password. There is no place safer than your brain unless you speak and reveal your secrets while you're asleep
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:31:02 am »
The Cacko ROM is based on the Sharp ROM and thus runs Qtopia which is very stable but dated. It runs most older applications (lots of them) well, but there aren't many new apps.
pdaXrom is based on X windows and thus many opensource X applications can be ported to pdaXrom. However, it is still under development, ie still beta and thus not everything is working perfectly yet.

PocketWorkstation can be installed onto the C1000. Follow the instructions for the C3000/C31000 since the keyboard map and most other things for the C1000 is the same as those models. However, you will run into trouble with space on your C1000 unless you have a large SD or CF card to install PocketWorkstation to.

OpenOffice needs glibc 2.3.2 which PocketWorkstation is using. It is possible to upgrade pdaXrom to a newer glibc, but you might break other applications.

Again, go for a screen protector for a C3000 since the two machines are the exact same size. the c760 should have the same screen size as well.

Remember your password. There is no place safer than your brain unless you speak and reveal your secrets while you're asleep
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to pick up a 1GB SD card this week. I figure that should be big enough to load Pocketworkstaion and anything else I need.  So I think I'm going to give pdaxrom a try first for a week or so then try Cacko. I'll make a decision from there.

As for remembering my passwords, its not just passwords I need to remember. I'm a network admin so I have probably 100 different passwords to remember, plus serial numbers, email accounts, website accounts, etc.  No possible way for me to remember them all.

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:07:16 pm »
As for remembering my passwords, its not just passwords I need to remember. I'm a network admin so I have probably 100 different passwords to remember, plus serial numbers, email accounts, website accounts, etc.  No possible way for me to remember them all.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Pwm/Pi (part of kdepimpi) does the job quite good. Just search the forums, you'll find the info you need.

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »
As for remembering my passwords, its not just passwords I need to remember. I'm a network admin so I have probably 100 different passwords to remember, plus serial numbers, email accounts, website accounts, etc.  No possible way for me to remember them all.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Pwm/Pi (part of kdepimpi) does the job quite good. Just search the forums, you'll find the info you need.

Chero.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

BTW : Now I've got keepass working on pdaXrom.

It looks nice, but I didn't play with it that long. Don't know which one I prefer : Pwm/pi of keepass

Have fun,
Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 06:49:22 pm »
My Zaurus arrived today. WOW! Its gorgeous!!

Now I'm going to load it with the Cacko ROM to give it a try.

For anybody who is thinking about it definitely order from pricejapan!! They rock. I ordered Friday night. Received an email on Sunday saying it was shipping. Arrived Wednesday morning in BC Canada.

mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 10:01:06 pm »
Well I tried Cacko for a couple of days. Then I tried PDAXROM. Love it! I'm a Linux Geek so I like the fact that its more "Linux like" than Cacko. I also installed Perl so now I can write Perl scripts on my Zaurus!