Author Topic: Ruby 1.8.4 Ipk  (Read 2500 times)

jcabrer

• View Profile
Ruby 1.8.4 Ipk
« on: April 22, 2006, 10:11:40 am »
I needed this on my Z to bring some Rails work home.  Hope someone else finds it usefull.  I was going to include gems, but I decided against it since it is not part of ruby itself.  I'll put up a separate ipk for it later.  If you need gems, it compiles fine from source once you have ruby installed.  For those not familiar with gems, it is a package manager like ipkg, but for ruby programs.
Sharp SL-C3100 - pdaXrom Beta 3
Sharp SL-6000L - pdaXrom Beta 1

ltrm

• View Profile
    • http://
Ruby 1.8.4 Ipk
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:40:12 am »
I needed this on my Z to bring some Rails work home.  Hope someone else finds it usefull.  I was going to include gems, but I decided against it since it is not part of ruby itself.  I'll put up a separate ipk for it later.  If you need gems, it compiles fine from source once you have ruby installed.  For those not familiar with gems, it is a package manager like ipkg, but for ruby programs.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've been running Rails on my Z too using SQLite3.  I feel a little bit guillty now that I gave up on trying to make an IPK  out of it.    I've got Subversion, ctags and aspell compiled also but I think that I have seen them available as IPKs too.

The only problem that I've found developing Rails on a Z is that Firefox seems to be the only browser with good AJAX support but it's a bit heavy on RAM.

Incidently does anyone know if something like Ruby or would run noticebly faster on PXA270 equiped machine?  I originally thought not which is why I haven't upgraded from my 860 but I read somewhere that the pxa270 had more poke per clock cycle than the pxa255.  

Any thoughts?
C860 - pdaXrom + XFCE4 <montyBurns>mmm Excellent</montyBurns>
Socket Bluetooth rev E - Socket low-power WiFi
1Gb Microdrive - Integral 1Gb SD
Belkin IR Keyboard - Pretec (Royaltek RBT-3000) BluetoothGPS
CE-RH1 remote control - Solar charger + some other bits 'n' bobs

jcabrer

• View Profile
Ruby 1.8.4 Ipk
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:53:59 am »
The only problem that I've found developing Rails on a Z is that Firefox seems to be the only browser with good AJAX support but it's a bit heavy on RAM.

Incidently does anyone know if something like Ruby or would run noticebly faster on PXA270 equiped machine?  I originally thought not which is why I haven't upgraded from my 860 but I read somewhere that the pxa270 had more poke per clock cycle than the pxa255. 

Any thoughts?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

My solution to the memory demands of Rails and other development on my Z has been to implement a 512MB swap partition on a cf microdrive.  This allows me to use Apache/MySQL/Firefox all together.  It also makes it possible to compile code like MAME  which has some large objs.
Sharp SL-C3100 - pdaXrom Beta 3
Sharp SL-6000L - pdaXrom Beta 1