Author Topic: Can Linux Save The Palm Os?  (Read 3633 times)

freizugheit

• View Profile
    • http://
Can Linux Save The Palm Os?
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:26:01 pm »
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:26:31 pm by freizugheit »

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:34 pm »
I think its good news.  Now i can buy a treo and expect the underhood to be linux.

I still use a Siemens S56
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

JustMatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:23:13 am »
At least, it would not crash so often.

I have a palm based Tapwave Zodiac and never had a problem with crashes...  I would say that so far my Zaurus running Cacko has crashed a bit more but I am pretty sure those crashes were user side errors and not a fault of the device
SL-C1000 (pdaXii13 Akita (Sally) 5.3 Currently)

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:28:05 am »
There's only one thing I really can say, to quoth a well known British comedy act. "I liked it the way it was!" ("I preferred the life of Brian!")

PalmOS for me. . I use it BECAUSE it's lighter weight than Linux. I can get PalmOS running on my wristwatch, faster than on a Palm V, or a CLie 425. I use LINUX, OpenBSD, and AROS for heavier stuff. (ok, and ReactOS, but that's even more behind than AROS is. Although it is progressing faster. . .) Such as Graphic and audio intensive stuff, as well as Security stuff. PalmOS is going to become alot more powerful, but in the process it's losing alot of what it is. You can run a Palm (Apart from my watch) Usually for a month or more without needing to charge the battery, even under heavy usage. My Windows Mobile and Linux devices. . four or five days medium usage at most. Hello power, goodbye portability.
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:59:50 am »
I think potentially linux could do for palmos what freebsd did for osx.  I would get a palm if it had linux functionality and yet the polish of a major commercial developer.

I use my 3100 for productivity and less for gadgetry.  If the palm can do it better with all the benefits of linux, then I'm in.  It just better have a good keyboard.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

miskinis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 02:17:43 pm »
I must agree that is very nice to have such a long battery life on the Palm devices,
and I still use my PalmIIIc (color 160x160 8bit display) when I am going on long
trips, and also for general (basic) PIM functionality.  

However, note that the battery-hungry circuitry such as the serial port is shutdown
when not in use, and there are many other power-saving techniques employed.  If
you start comparing the batery life of LINUX PDAs and Windows Mobile devices,
you must take into consideration what is being done on them.  If you start using WIFI
and listening to audio, reading/writing flash cards, have daemons running, etc., the
Palm Devices would also have a much shortened battey life.

I must also state how much I agree with the extremely high value of a polished
operating system.  And also how much value the extremely well documented and
capable APIs were on Palm.  I used 2.0, then 3.5, and only dabbled a little into
the 5.x successors.  It became too much of a hassle to support software on the later
versions, since there were many differences (bugs) in the graphics operations, and
then the fork of Sony's graphics and audio APIs started to take the simplicity and
predicatability factor away.

Anyway, I'm done rambling!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:18:39 pm by miskinis »
_John Miskinis_