Author Topic: Graphical Login For Pdaxrom  (Read 21420 times)

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
Graphical Login For Pdaxrom
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28:07 am »
ok i found /usr/var/log/gdm and it says:
"Could not init font path element /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi, removing from list!"

I'm looking where I can find these...
Device: Zaurus C3100
OS: testing pda[span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\']X[/span]rom beta4
Window Manager: Xfce4 + ROX Desktop and Filer
WLAN: D-Link DCF-660W
Memory: Kingston 512MB SD
Creative Wired Remote modified to work as CE-RH2

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2006, 02:45:35 pm »
it's still not working... the same happens as before.
OS: testing pda[span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\']X[/span]rom beta4

karlto

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 04:28:16 pm »
I thought it was like that, but read something about runlevel 7 while googling, so I just hoped there would be a way...
Anyone knows how "kdm" jumps back to console login ? Maybe I should look into this.

Chero.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I think kdm works the same; only respawns in runlevel 5 (for example). It has a button to do this.

You're right - some sites say that 7-9 are also valid runlevels, but I think it would be much nicer to use 3 or 4. On my RC12 tosa:

3: sd,pcmcia,ssh,,usb,messagebus,cups
4: same as 3 - cups(whoops?)
5: same as 3 + atd

I'm sure it would be reasonable to use 3 as default (currently 5), and change 5 to include gdm. gdm's configuration should tell it only to respawn if in runlevel 5, so telinit 3 will go to console. I can switch between 3, 4 and 5 with no hassle at all...

If you wanted to retain as much default pdaXrom as possible, I believe you could have gdm in runlevel 4 and not 5; you'd have to configure gdm to suit.
SL6000-L, RC12

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 03:39:50 am »
I can use the login screen to login to console, but not yet to get a "console login"
Let's keep on fiddling.

I have added some themes, and this is my login screen right now :

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Have fun,
Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 03:44:09 am »
gorgeous.  what is the new 2.6 beta4 going to do to your progress?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Chero

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 03:52:05 am »
gorgeous.  what is the new 2.6 beta4 going to do to your progress?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

As far as I know it runs on beta4 as well, with the same issues as on beta3.
My guess is it will only have to be recompiled with the latest version, the setup afterwards will be quite similar.

The reason I'm testing on beta3 is 'cause I consider it to be very stable. I want to be sure that the problems I find are related to gdm and not to the beta-version of pdaX.

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2006, 07:46:42 am »
for me (with beta4) its still not working but as I could see in some logs it needs these fonts as mentioned in the log... but where to get them?

"Could not init font path element /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi, removing from list!"

Chero

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2006, 08:57:49 am »
for me (with beta4) its still not working but as I could see in some logs it needs these fonts as mentioned in the log... but where to get them?

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It doesn't really need the fonts, the X-session tries to load them, but then continues without them.
I have these messages in my log file as well, but still gdm works as it should.

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2006, 09:02:25 am »
ok... good to know

for me it doesnt work. gdmsetup works now (after I installed all the dependencies) but gdm itself doesnt.

I also installed KDE on beta4 which works. As KDE delivers also kdm, i tried it. The screen gets grey (as if you start X or when I try to start gdm) than appears a window in the middle of the screen with no text, which disappears just for less than a second. Then the screen gets grey again and after 2 or 3 seconds the window appears again and the background turns blue. Afterwards the screen gets grey again and so on until I reboot the Zaurus.

I bet there is something more missing...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:03:30 am by MONVMENTVM »

jerrybme

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2006, 09:22:17 am »
ok... good to know

for me it doesnt work. gdmsetup works now (after I installed all the dependencies) but gdm itself doesnt.

I also installed KDE on beta4 which works. As KDE delivers also kdm, i tried it. The screen gets grey (as if you start X or when I try to start gdm) than appears a window in the middle of the screen with no text, which disappears just for less than a second. Then the screen gets grey again and after 2 or 3 seconds the window appears again and the background turns blue. Afterwards the screen gets grey again and so on until I reboot the Zaurus.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I had similar issue, and even though gdm setup would work, gdm wouldn't load, it turned out I missed one of the dependencies Chero listed on his post where the ipk is, double check to make sure you got those all installed too.

Good luck,
Jerry

BTW, I can only get gdm to load xfce4 on Beta 4, for some reason that's beyond me matchbox hangs and never loads.
SL-C3100
Angstrom-GPE
Lexar SD 1 GB
PQI 2GB CF
Ambicom WL1100 CF

Chero

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2006, 09:25:22 am »
ok... good to know

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

As far as I know, KDE can't be installed to "/", so it will be very difficult to launch kdm at boot time.

jerrybme

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2006, 11:16:37 am »
Ok, I got it working in Matchbox, but having significant problems getting the rotation correct between gdm and matchbox. Having to create a modified fbpanel-session to get the orientation correct  

But here's my screenshot of gdm.. (thanks to Chero for his guidance on screenshot within gdm!)

Cheers,
Jerry
SL-C3100
Angstrom-GPE
Lexar SD 1 GB
PQI 2GB CF
Ambicom WL1100 CF

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2006, 04:40:57 pm »
Nice screen!

And I still cannot get it. I checked if every package is installed which was mentioned in this thread and in this pm where we got the ipk from chero... but everything is installed.

Dont know what to do further...

jerrybme

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2006, 05:22:15 pm »
Nice screen!

And I still cannot get it. I checked if every package is installed which was mentioned in this thread and in this pm where we got the ipk from chero... but everything is installed.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Well, I can't get matchbox to rotate properly, even when I get it to have the proper orientation then fbpanel crashes and isn't visible.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like with default fbpanel-session file. The other screen shot is what happens when started from gdm. Notice the fonts on the icons in the rotated screen are significantly larger than when not started from gdm wierd...

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:23:43 pm by jerrybme »
SL-C3100
Angstrom-GPE
Lexar SD 1 GB
PQI 2GB CF
Ambicom WL1100 CF

diesel1

• View Profile
    • http://www.diesel1.demon.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2006, 06:00:36 pm »
Nice screen!

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Well, I can't get matchbox to rotate properly, even when I get it to have the proper orientation then fbpanel crashes and isn't visible.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like with default fbpanel-session file. The other screen shot is what happens when started from gdm. Notice the fonts on the icons in the rotated screen are significantly larger than when not started from gdm wierd...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Does the screen scroll like a virtual screen in X?
It makes me think one of the displays is a virtual window of the other.

Simon.
C860-Zubuntu
DLinkAir660WCF-1Gb/256Mb/64MbIntegralSD-256Mb/64MbIntegralCF

SL5500-OZ3.5.2/OPIE1.1.7