Author Topic: Newbie Wifi Basic Questions  (Read 5231 times)

zthird

• View Profile
Newbie Wifi Basic Questions
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:06:40 pm »
I have had this wifi card working a few years ago on Sharp/Cacko but I had to replace a wireless access point and although two other windows machine can connect wirelessly no problem the SL C860 can not.
As cacko gave me no info and a lack of standard wireless tools so I installed pdaXrom but it is giving me the same issue.

Card is an Origo - with ident "SENAO NL-2011CD PLUS" man id: 0x000b 0x7100

Insert card light comes on and flashes any settings in the lan config simply turn off the light for a few seconds and it then starts blinking again.

I tried run iwconfig manually but nothing seems to change.

dmesg always reports (repeatedly) LinkStatus=6 (Association failed)
with a BSSID=44:44:44:44:44

but the wierd thing is if I set the ESSID to "any" in the GUI I get some random ESSID show up in iwconfig and the light goes solid.
(no ip or anything)

I guess this shows the card and the Z are working but, I had dissabled all the wifi security (no WEP, no MAC filtering) I even set the mode to B only (instead of mixed) on the access point but no change.

As I have no internet from the Z I do not have kismet.

what can I try next ?

:: the access point is a linksys WAP54g (not the linux one)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 01:08:11 pm by zthird »

zthird

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:18:02 am »
I transfered kismet via USB and it shows the AP with no WEP security.

So I know the AP works (two machines use it regualarly), I know the card works (kismet can see up to 5 APs in the local area).

I googled the LinkStatus=6 (Association Failed) and there are no answers (most refered to beta drivers).

Has anyone got any ideas what I can try next ?

Is there any more information I can get regarding this Association Failed message ?

Same error is reported if I enable WEP and use the correct key.

What dmesg do you get if you try and connect to an AP with the wrong WEP key ?

emip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:22:40 am »
what is the output from "cardctl status" or "pccardctl status"?
And, if it says your card is bound to hostap_cs driver, have you installed the firmware?

zthird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:18:35 pm »
cardctl status (i have not got pccardctl) reports
Code: [Select]
Socket 0:
    3.3V 16-bit PC Card
    function 0: [ready]
Socket 1:
    no card

what firmware are you refering to ?

hostap shows up in /var/log/messages and is also the source= I used in kismet config so I guess I am using that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:22:53 pm by zthird »

emip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:18:17 am »
cardctl status (i have not got pccardctl) reports
Socket 0:
    3.3V 16-bit PC Card
    function 0: [ready]
Socket 1:
    no card

what firmware are you refering to ?

hostap shows up in /var/log/messages and is also the source= I used in kismet config so I guess I am using that.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

this isn't a helpful dump of [pc]cardctl status... your wifi card is not in the socket or ejected!

try cardctl insert then cardctl status.

zthird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:58:51 pm »
this isn't a helpful dump of [pc]cardctl status... your wifi card is not in the socket or ejected!

try cardctl insert then cardctl status.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I tried eject and insert and I get the same status, but the card works(kismet) and cardctl ident gives.
Socket 0:
    product info: "WLAN", "11Mbps_PC-Card_3_0", "ISL37100P", "Eval-RevA"
    manfid: 0x000b, 0x7100
    function: 6 (network)
lsmod shows hostap, hostap_cs and hostap_crypt_wep
uname -r gives 2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix

any thoughts?

zthird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:13:10 am »
from some more digging it looks like this card is also supported by the orinoco driver, but I can not see how to get that as the default.
I do not have a /etc/pcmcia/hostap.conf or a /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf file.
I do have /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf which has all the correct details for my card to use orinoco_cs
so I commented out the manfid (x2) in /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf and rebooted but lsmod still shows all the hostap modules.

How can I force the card to use the orinoco driver ?

karlto

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:52:25 pm »
from some more digging it looks like this card is also supported by the orinoco driver, but I can not see how to get that as the default.
I do have /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf which has all the correct details for my card to use orinoco_cs
so I commented out the manfid (x2) in /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf and rebooted but lsmod still shows all the hostap modules.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I have seen suggestions also that the prism2 driver is an option - although there are a few differently branded cards with the same id. Hostap seems to be the right choice though.

I doubt very much it is a driver issue if you have it working with kismet; it has to be just a matter of configuration to get a useful network connection. This involves either iwconfig or wlan-ng (not sure which in your case - the wrong one won't do anything).

I have no specific experience with your card, but having worked with a number of cheap and nasty (designed for Windows) wireless cards, I can say that some work in very strange ways - e.g. iwconfig won't work unless ifconfig is used to bring the interface up first, or vice versa. Try everything...
SL6000-L, RC12

scheck.r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:38:10 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
If you want to use orinoco drivers, look at this thread(post #14) about beta2
[a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18057&hl=spectrum]https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...057&hl=spectrum[/url]

Hope this helps
SL-C1000 from PriceJapan(cheap and very fast shipping) with EA-70 power adapter, iRiver USB Host cable, PDAIR case, pentopia stylus, ultra clear screen-protector from shop.brando.com.hk only $3 for shipping worldwide
4GB Hitachi Microdrive, 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 4GB Transcend 150x SD, Symbol Spectrum 4137 CF WiFi(low power)
PdaXrom pdaxii13 5.4.9 updated with Kkazakov13's feed. I owned a SL-6000L before

zthird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 08:41:18 am »
I setup and old computer with a pci wifi card and booted Knoppix, ndiswrappered the driver and did
iwlist wlan0 scanwhich gave me a load of APs
iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSIDwhich did not change the essid when running iwconfig, followed by
iwlist wlan0 scan(now shows only the AP I set as MYESSID)
iwconfig wlan0 key restricted HEXKEYNOCOLONSwhich changed the essid shown in iwconfig and then used DHCP to get a working IP address and got full internet access.
I tried the same on the Zaurus and I get the same issue as before, the access point shown in iwconfig is always 44:44:44:44:44:44
iwlist wlan0 scanalways shows all the surounding APs, which is odd.
I also noted that in iwconfig results the
Rx invalid crypt
is 5 (the knoppix setup has 0).

Has anyone else got this card and got it working ?

I keep checking ebay and the wifi cards always go well over 20 quid, even second hand, should I just pony up the dough ?

Can the Zaurus be connected to an AP even if the little green wifi light on the card is flashing ?
(ie software tells the card it is being used correctly and to set the light solid)

Drake01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 07:46:28 pm »
Has anyone else got this card and got it working ?

Have you checked out this post?  Sounds like someone did get this card working.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

zthird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 10:11:53 am »
Have you checked out this post?  Sounds like someone did get this card working.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yes, they are using beta3 but that is not out yet for the 860, I will have to wait ....

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 11:00:28 am »
Yes, they are using beta3 but that is not out yet for the 860, I will have to wait .... sad.gif

You will be waiting a LONG time... because dont expect beta3 to come out for it... that has already been superseeded by beta4... next step for the cxx0 models would be beta5... well after it comes out for the Cxx00 Models first...

:-)
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode