Author Topic: Looking For List Of Working Gps Devices For C860  (Read 2901 times)

Dima202

• View Profile
Looking For List Of Working Gps Devices For C860
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:20:32 am »
Hello,
I have a c860 and want to have GPS on my Zaurus since I will be traveling to another country.
If I understand correctly, all I need is a GPS device and a map of the country, correct?

Please list GPS devices compatible with Zaurus C860 and working under pdaXrom beta1?

Thanks!

albertr

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:02:49 am »
Finding a working GPS device could be much easier than finding a mapping/navigation software and good quality maps. Unless TomTom would release their software/maps for Zaurus (and they probably never will), Personally, I use a bluetooth GPS receiver because it has it's own battery, no wires and doesn't stick out of my Z. But if you'd prefer to use a CF slot receiver, most (all?) of them would appear as serial devices, and would work as such.

Free roadmap software works, but it lacks many features. Also, finding free good quality maps might be very challenging (if not impossible). If you go with roadmap. take a look at editor cvs branch - it has nice labeling and some basic navigation support.
-albertr

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:09:30 am »
Finding a working GPS device could be much easier than finding a mapping/navigation software and good quality maps. Unless TomTom would release their software/maps for Zaurus (and they probably never will), Personally, I use a bluetooth GPS receiver because it has it's own battery, no wires and doesn't stick out of my Z. But if you'd prefer to use a CF slot receiver, most (all?) of them would appear as serial devices, and would work as such.

Free roadmap software works, but it lacks many features. Also, finding free good quality maps might be very challenging (if not impossible). If you go with roadmap. take a look at editor cvs branch - it has nice labeling and some basic navigation support.
-albertr
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I see a very cheap GPS device:
[a href=\"http://www.gogocity.com/product_details.asp?dept_id=802&pf_id=C105TN202]http://www.gogocity.com/product_details.as...pf_id=C105TN202[/url]
Read forums here for GPS and found that many people use this card and for $50?  It would make my Z really usefull!
I have never had GPS but from what I understand it's very usefull when driving, it tell you where you are and how to get to a certain location. That is pretty much the only feature I need
I can buy any map and it should work with the Roadmap software right? I found a map of where I am going for $50... So I think it should be a decent map quallity.
Please correct me or give me advice since I have no idea about GPS.
Tell me if my intentions are possible.

Thank you for your time.

edit: I read on roadmap homepage that it works only in the US? Am I understanding this correctly? If I buy a map for European country, it won't work with it or are just some features missing?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:28:52 am by Dima202 »

albertr

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:38:31 am »
If you really have NO experience with GPS navigation at all, I'd suggest you to do some research before spending your money.

You can't just use any map (regardless of its quality or price, or lack of thereof). Navigation software use its own proprientary formats, so at very least maps need to be converted.

-albertr

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 09:04:06 am »
If you really have NO experience with GPS navigation at all, I'd suggest you to do some research before spending your money.

You can't just use any map (regardless of its quality or price, or lack of thereof). Navigation software use its own proprientary formats, so at very least maps need to be converted.

-albertr
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I really do have NO experience with GPS. But I am flying in 2 days, so I need to order now. Do you know if BC-337 is compatible with Zaurus?
About maps, you are saying that there are different maps for different programs?
-Also some maps can be converted so I should look for a decent map right now and see what programs are compatible with it.... Primarily if the roadmap program is compatible with it.
-I will look for such maps right now and post here.

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 09:32:19 am »
So far, this is the only I have found, what do you think? Is it compatible?
http://www.travelbygps.com/maps/moldova.php
I also found the following
http://www.gpsmoldova.com/en-maps-price.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:44:04 am by Dima202 »

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:23:38 pm »
Does the roadmap, or qpeGPS support garmin maps?
I have been trying to find out but I just dont get it since I have never used the apps...

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 02:02:03 am »
You cannot sort this in 2 days.

A GPS will return lat and long (and altitude) for any place on earth within a certain tolerance dictated by the US military if they leave it switched on. They don't often turn it off but they can do.

That is all it does. The rest like "turn left in 200 yards" and so on is provided by the software and there is no really sophisticated software that runs under Linux.

The software that is available to Linux will allow you to take a picture (map) and define the corners of that picture to be certain absolute positions then the GPS software will interpolate your position within that map. Roughly speaking.

Buy a Garmin Etrex off eBay, it will, without connection to anything, tell you the distance and direction to wherever you want, it has no maps at all and it will connect to your Z via serial if you so desire.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:02:35 am by Mjolinor »