Author Topic: Body Design  (Read 59597 times)

morrijr

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 12:07:36 pm »
very intresting, i dont think i would use a mini usb sockect but somthing with a higher diensity so that we can put other things on the connector (perhaps that is a better way to get SPDIF and video out off the device)

i dont like the styling much however i am sure we can whip somthing up that looks simmilar to the PP case

onec again a great idea, keep them rolling in
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138654\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Please, whatever you choose, don't have a custom plug/socket.  I think usb would be a good idea, primarily because it's just everywhere!  Perhaps a usb + a higher density?  Would make it easy to add (read convert) usb dongles

Perhaps having a seperate one for power would be advantagous?  That way plugging in a sled which is just a battery would be easy... and you could just keep adding battery sleds (would be in parallel?) to extend battery life

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
Body Design
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 07:32:08 am »
in this case a custom socket is more of a requirment, the minisub is too deep if placed on the bottom

however dont forget that we will have USB sockets on the back already

part of the reason i like the slide on case is that we could make it use the exsisting USB sockets if i put them on the side rather than the back meaning less parts but i think this idea is better (ie stacking)
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

wsuetholz

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 12:06:45 pm »
I don't know if I can explain this properly, but...

How about a USB connector that is parallel to the bottom of the case covered by a spring loaded cover that the addon would push down on to make the connection..  The connector on the main body would be recessed.

Bill

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 12:32:04 am »
to many things to go wrong, anyway you have at least one on the back why do you need one on the bottom as well?
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

morrijr

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 05:47:39 am »
to many things to go wrong, anyway you have at least one on the back why do you need one on the bottom as well?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138889\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Having one (or more) connector(s) on the bottom would allow you to 'stack' sleds which are exactly the same size as the original unit while leaving the original ports free.

Would it be that complicated to mount a usb socket vertically down at the edge of the pcb?

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 01:42:11 pm »
No, That's easy. It's the spring loaded gunk that was too easy to go wrong.

Point in note. . . If you're stacking them. . . Then the USB Socket of the bottom block would still be accessible. o.o

Getting Uni tomorrow (I hope) So will be looking in better detail at linux on it, and of course when it's developed. . The phone.
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 08:30:09 am »
USB sockets mounted verticely are very very bad

reasoning:
pins have to be bent  (dont think the PCB company will do this for us) as they are designed to be mounted horizonatlly
width between boards has to be bassed on usb socket and not on the minimum gap
it means that the board will require ektra cutting (yes you could have it at the edge but i dont see that happening)

if we use several square pads and a contact system on the PDA with pogo pins on the backpack we can reduce the cost on the PDA and mave it to the backpack (if you arent using a backpack its slightly cheaper, if you are you are no worse off)

not te mention its simpile to do, all it requires is a couple of squares of PCB lined up on the bottom board, the pogo pins make contact to this area.

it also means that we can route some of the other stuff to the IO boards (SPI perhaps or serial, AUDIO?)
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 02:04:09 am »
we seem to be going down the Z style of casing however has anyone seen the new ROAD pda, that could be the way to go.

it has some nice features in that form factor that could be handy
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

uMP2k

• View Profile
    • http://
Body Design
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 04:17:31 am »
we seem to be going down the Z style of casing however has anyone seen the new ROAD pda, that could be the way to go.

it has some nice features in that form factor that could be handy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

If this:

[img]http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/road-s101-open.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]  

is what you had in mind they you would certainly have my vote.  Looks like a keyboard that you can actually touch type on.

One thing that I have been wondering about this proposed device is whether or not it will have a touch screen and, if so, whether it is planned to try and emulate the convertible nature of the Z?
My new toy: C1000/pdaXrom/xfce4 and Rox - now I just have to get it all working!.

Other stuff: Axim x50v and a brace of Newtons....!

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 05:47:30 am »
that really depends, the ability to swing the screen is nic but i never use it at all, i keep it in clam shell so i didnt need to buy a case for it but i guess that most people will use it in that form factor, i felt that the c3000 was a little chunky for using like that thogh but i plan to make this PDA thinner than the c3000

the keyboard on that thing is very nice but i do wonder what it will look like in real life

keyboard wise, i posted in the keyboard fourm i had a new idea or two  i just hope its not imopsible
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

uMP2k

• View Profile
    • http://
Body Design
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 09:23:18 pm »
that really depends, the ability to swing the screen is nic but i never use it at all, i keep it in clam shell so i didnt need to buy a case for it but i guess that most people will use it in that form factor, i felt that the c3000 was a little chunky for using like that thogh but i plan to make this PDA thinner than the c3000

Thinner - I like the sound of that.  I have just taken delivery of a C1000 (my first Z) and while I already like it alot it is very very thick compared to the PocketPCs I have had up to now.

the keyboard on that thing is very nice but i do wonder what it will look like in real life

Yes, it is hard to tell from the picture.  I also wonder if it might be still too small to touch type on, but too big to thumb type....?

keyboard wise, i posted in the keyboard fourm i had a new idea or two  i just hope its not imopsible
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Love to hear about them when you have thought them through.  Designing a new PDA from the ground up is a great opportunity to innovate!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:38:20 pm by uMP2k »
My new toy: C1000/pdaXrom/xfce4 and Rox - now I just have to get it all working!.

Other stuff: Axim x50v and a brace of Newtons....!

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 12:19:52 am »
its been posted, have a look
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 06:31:49 pm »
Hmmm, I think swinging and touching are a good idea (Double Entendres UNintentional if present.) I've always kept the flip up panel on my Poodle when outside of it's Otterbox,  So it's good to be able to protect the screen by folding it flat. . and I use Slate style PDA more than Clamshell. . I only really use clamshell when I have alot of text to enter, like an SMS or an email. web addresses etc. . I use the onscreen keyboard.

craigtyson

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 07:32:25 pm »
CF Battery? ie an additional battery that uses the CF slot when not being used by storage / WIFI.  Also a 1/2 backlight mode (I read in bed!)

Smart WIFI drivers that can put the card into sleep mode when not in use ie when your reading the web content you have just browsed to: aka dialup disconnect after x time

Please get rid of the screen app buttons all they do is get pressed by mistake

Decent decoupled audio output

All the conectors on one edge to allow a incar docking station OR all outputs doubled out of the cradle jack to give same functionality as plugging into power , usb , audio jacks

Oh and a left handed stylus clip option OK :0)
Craig
SL-C1000, Angstrom GPE 2007.12r13
Ambicom WL1100C, SanDisk UltraII 1GB SD

Old Faithfull - SL-5500 battery out of the C750 (see below) TKC v1 (New) 1GB SD
Dead - SL-C750, Cacko 1.23 lite (Dropped, very messy!)
Ambicom WL1100C, SanDisk Dead - 1GB SD
Keep your Z on a bungee, you never know.....

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Body Design
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 10:46:07 am »
How can you have a "Handed" stylus clip? It's a STYLUS CLIP! I have PDA's with them left and right. . what's the difference?