Author Topic: Software  (Read 47353 times)

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Software
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2006, 04:02:50 pm »
Well it's genius, this is the software I was talking about in either this or the older thread. Not this individual project, I didn't know it existed, but this concept. Genius!
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
Software
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2006, 10:21:35 am »
actually i have been looking into zeroconf with gaim, did you know that on a properly set up system gaim will provide contacts for everyone using zeroconf on the network.

now if you hook this up to wifi and the PP it would be great althgh they do mention that it likes low latency

that telpethy thing sounds good, i will look into latter and see how it fits in with everything, i was just thinking of using somthing overblown like asterix. but if this does what i think it does it should be a light weight solution to our problems
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Software
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2006, 11:56:59 am »
Well, I have a feeling it's not going to be something that will work out of the box, we WILL have to do a little coding ourselves. . maybe incorporate a version of Gomunicator into it???

And there's still the question of SMS/MMS/Email/Direct-Push-Mail. . . That one is going to need to be thought out VERY carefully.
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
Software
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 09:20:03 am »
came up with a solution to sms and perhaps mms at the least

keep using the email system however have a deamon (user sms) that watches its mail box using inotify, when it recives a message from you (mail sms) it fowards the body contents onto the recipent or recipents in the subject line

when the sms program recives a sms it sends a message with the subject [sms] <number> for mms then the extra files can be added as attachments

makes it easy to filter to a mail box, only problem is if you have a footer for your mail or gpg sign it, however perhaps you can find a way to disable it on a per email basis (or for local accounts) or build the ability to strip that into the sms client (not nice but it works )

i belive it solves the problem very nicly, ok its not the best solution but it will wrok with all email clients that exsist, means you have to do the copy and paste by hand however some advantages is you can make the sms client do number lookup against say abook for example or ldap, so you get a message with the subject [SMS} +6120432234234 (Sue bing)

works nicly with the deamen because the reply adress would be the demon on the local machine (always nice)however even if your client adds RE: to the front its trivial for the sms program to work out which number to send the message to

a wierd side effect is if you have a server with a phon attached and running software like this then you could send a message to the machine to the sms account (eg for my domain sms a)pocketnix.org (dosent work)) and have that message sent via sms, be great if you had a server in your home country whie you are away, instant sms portal

comments?
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Software
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »
smstool from stefan frings is a great program for sending and receiving sms on a gsm phone, and it it very easy to write an email to sms gateway using it, and wouldn't be too hard to monitor the incoming spool and turn sms's into emails.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.