Author Topic: Fluxbox: The Ultimate Configuration  (Read 14201 times)

zi99y

• View Profile
Fluxbox: The Ultimate Configuration
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:56:43 pm »
Scroll Down for the Howto...

[img]http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8596/fluxboxscreenshotsq3.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

-------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I have spent quite a lot of time configuring a really nice and functional desktop in Fluxbox, I've picked up lots of nifty tricks from others and added some of my own, and now I can say that it really is a great replacement for the default desktop environment.

Fluxbox really does give pdaxrom the edge as it's a lot lighter than some of the others, and you can really feel it running faster.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll create a package of all my settings and tips and post them here.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:37:00 am by zi99y »

loji

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 04:10:59 pm »
sure     Post a detailed how-to and I'll mirror it on my site.
-> pdaXrom beta 3 fixes & feeds
C-1000 + pdaXrom beta3
linksys wifi + expansions

cal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:08:59 pm »
I would love a how-to, or a tips and tricks article.  Thanks

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:12:08 pm »
I agree... Post

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:41:16 pm »
Ok, a lot of credit here goes to bastichelaar for the theme and the fluxbox ipk, I've just gone ahead and fixed up the menu to my needs and a few other bits and pieces to make it really useable.

Bear in mind that the below config was done on a C3200, I have no experience of other models but it should be fine on the C3X00 series and only need minor tweaks for others. Also I do not run as root, and instead use a basic user and have sudo installed, many of my tweaks include "sudo" or "su -c" to gain root privelidges to perform tasks, you can remove these if you are root.

My config is an attempt to make everything easier to access, it includes aterm popping up to display values that will auto close after a few seconds, also I have tried to make it easy to use without the keyboard by having a key modifier for the right mouse button, and maximise for the other. The virtual keyboard loads faster in this WM, and you should use the "remember" window option to keep it where you want it.

Fluxbox and fluxbox-theme can be installed from the unstable feed: http://zaurus.spy.org/feeds/cacko/pdaXrom/unstable/

Feh from chero's feed:
http://www.pdaxrom.org/contrib/Chero

Mixmos from Voiders feed:
http://www.pdaxrom.org/contrib/voider_feed

Other components I recommend you install are vdesk for desktop icons and wallpaper, and torsmo for a system panel to be printed on your desktop. Alternatively you can install feh to do the wallpaper instead of vdesk (see below). Also, mixmos is used to modify the volume, you should have this installed.

backup your old .xinitrc and create a new one like so:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

if [ -f $HOME/Choices/lightnpower.cfg ]; then
  lightnpower.py --loadandquit
fi

xmodmap /etc/X11/kb/spitz.xmodmap
xset +fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz
xset fp rehash
#vdesk &
fbsetbg ~/Documents/wallpaper.png &
torsmo &
fluxbox

Ok, once you restart X11 you should have the funky sn33z theme, you can create your own or modify this one to your taste.

I have included 2 files to copy into the .fluxbox folder - menu & keys, these are my custom settings for the fluxbox menu and keyboard mapping. I have modified the menu with packages I have installed, you should add/remove entries in the menu file to your own needs.

To enable to configuration menuitems in the lower set of menus, you will need to copy the \bin folder into your home directory and make sure that is in your bash path (if you don't know how to do this just ask).

Customised Keymap:
Use the 2 files in .fluxbox folder to enable my keymaps and custom menu

I have included the spitz.xmodmap file that usually goes in /etc/X11/kb this was sourced on the forums and enables various things, like the function keys can be used when holding Fn and hitting the numbers, and super_l is now configured. Because of this, If you hold super_l and press 1 & 2, this affects zoom, 3 & 4 brightness, 6 will show volume status, 7,8,9,0 are volume levels where 0 is mute.

When the lid is switched into pda mode, the rotatescreen.sh file is launched and fsetbg will rotate the wallpaper to match. if you are using vdesk, you can put in here "killall vdesk" followed by "vdesk &" to restart and rotate the wallpaper the same way.

Super_l + F reloads fluxbox config, Q closes the current window, K kills the current window, R opens the run dialog (yes I've used too much windows). And there are a few other surprises.

fluxbox menu:
I have included the fluxbox documentation which is linked from here if you have links installed. Other items are available to tailer fluxbox to your liking.

System Controls:
These are the original python scripts that you found in the default openbox desktop, they will run in aterm and prompt you for the password if necessary

Screen Options:
Brightness control, change resolution, and change orientation.

Cards & Mounts:
Clicking on status will open a window displaying mounts and CF card details, also you can eject and insert the CF slot (status is mapped to the address button on the keyboard, and eject and insert are accessed using SUPER_L + E or I - super_l is the right kanji key)

Sound Volume:
You must run mixmos and set the 4 sound levels before these will work, then you can set volume here or the levels are mapped to SUPER_L + 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0.

Change Keymap:
These are some of my presets, the PDA keymap is very useful when the lid is folded down so you can press cancel to modify the mouse button so it performs a right-click, press the button again to return to left-click.

Desktop wallpaper & icons:
Ok, I'm not that fond of icons on the desktop anyway, so I've removed that capability and am using feh to display the wallpaper. If you want to have icons I suggest installing vdesk as it's very slim. One benefit of using feh is that some apps with "fake" transparency will work like mrxvt and fluxbox menus.

Hope this is helpful - my bash skills aren't great so I'm sure folks out there might want to make comments and improve on this setup.

enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:35:15 am by zi99y »

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 09:48:37 pm »
Did I mention fluxbox runs really well?

uMP2k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 02:31:38 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Any chance of a screenshot?
My new toy: C1000/pdaXrom/xfce4 and Rox - now I just have to get it all working!.

Other stuff: Axim x50v and a brace of Newtons....!

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 05:42:15 am »
Ok/ screenie in the first post...

Forgot to include my torsmo rc file, get it here - just remove the .txt extension and place it in your home dir

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 07:39:02 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

yep, I agree. fluxbox is just very customisable and fast. I use it all the time
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

cal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 11:19:20 am »
Thanks I really need the help with the .xinitrc file.  I also had to do some serious tweeking to fix a font problem on my C1000 (I stole the fluxbox init from my desktop and edited it a little).  Now that every thing works I am playing with themes and styles.  It looks great and is super fast.  

Just to share, I have attached a screen shot.

About the screen shot:

Theme:
     I customized darkmystic for the zaurus with smaller fonts and l adjusted fluxbox's transparent settings.  I forgot where I got the picture, but I have a full size version if anyone wants it(or my zaurus size shown here)

Menu:
    I made a directory called /home/user/.fluxbox/Backgrounds and a /home/user/.fluxbox/styles ran a 'fluxbox-generate_menu -B'  now I can select my "User Styles" and "Background from the flux menu.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:51:17 am by cal »

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 11:27:32 am »
Hey thats a nice looking theme, can you zip it and attach it to this thread?

It would be a nice idea if we built up some fluxbox resources on this thread - if anyone can suggest any improvements over my settings it would be cool.

Cal- just a suggestion but maybe upload screenies as a jpeg or png to save the site's bandwidth

cal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 12:13:47 pm »
-Fixed the bmp.

I have the real theme file at home, and I'll upload it asap.  Untill then here is an archive of my /home/user/.fluxbox/style/darkmystic

unzip it in the .../.fluxbox/style/darkmystic  directory and run a fluxbox-generate_menu    and you should be able to select it in the User Styles menu.

Its kinda vista aero-y isn't it?  It may anger the linux snobs, but I like it.

-Edit :  added the background
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:19:32 pm by cal »

uMP2k

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 12:38:41 am »
Just cannot get this thing to work on my C1000 - I have the background showing and the Torsmo window, but no menus!  

I copied the .xinitrc file and all the other stuff in the how-to but no go.

Maybe I will start with a fresh install of pdaXrom......
My new toy: C1000/pdaXrom/xfce4 and Rox - now I just have to get it all working!.

Other stuff: Axim x50v and a brace of Newtons....!

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 03:09:20 am »
Just cannot get this thing to work on my C1000 - I have the background showing and the Torsmo window, but no menus! 

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I thing reinstalling pdaxrom is a bit drastic- the default key for the menu is XF86Start - use xev to check this key is correctly mapped to the Menu button - or update ~/.fluxbox/keys to choose another key trigger.

If you hold Fn acd click the desktop (right click) do you get nothing?

Cal: Thanks for the them, trying it now

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 03:39:18 am »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I thing reinstalling pdaxrom is a bit drastic- the default key for the menu is XF86Start - use xev to check this key is correctly mapped to the Menu button - or update ~/.fluxbox/keys to choose another key trigger.

If you hold Fn acd click the desktop (right click) do you get nothing?

Cal: Thanks for the them, trying it now
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

or install fluxconf
it lets you easily assign and map keys as well as do a lot of other configs.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K