Author Topic: Forward Motion In Pdaxrom  (Read 5339 times)

omro

• View Profile
    • http://
Forward Motion In Pdaxrom
« on: December 05, 2006, 08:40:41 am »
Hi guys,

I gave up on the Z and pdaXrom for a number of months, thought I'd pop back and see how much progress had been made.

I guess my suggestion for having pdaXrom opened up and for other developers get involved in pdaXrom wasn't such a bad one after all. It seems in all this time no real forward movement has been made. Which is a real shame :-(

If I'm wrong, please correct me, but I think this project seems to have died a death and it's a shame because so many people were so enthusiastic. It could have been avoided.
Zaurus C-1000

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:31:57 am »
Actually Omro... I know you prolly remember talkin to me before... I'm part of the dev team now... Sash is busy... Laze is busy... I'm basicly the filler in that gap... keeping things moving still... I'm working on getting all the bugs out of the system so we can have a clean release instead of putting out another rom with 1 or 2 fixes... because once I get all the bugs out... we will prolly make another beta release... and do a dev freeze to clean up any left overs... then make a stable release... it is just getting up to that point... but it is in the near future... I've been coordinating with the rest of the team on a daily basis... Soo "Dead" isn't that best work for the current situation... How about.. lets say... "in hiding" :-)

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:52:26 am »
Actually Omro... I know you prolly remember talkin to me before... I'm part of the dev team now... Sash is busy... Laze is busy... I'm basicly the filler in that gap... keeping things moving still... I'm working on getting all the bugs out of the system so we can have a clean release instead of putting out another rom with 1 or 2 fixes... because once I get all the bugs out... we will prolly make another beta release... and do a dev freeze to clean up any left overs... then make a stable release... it is just getting up to that point... but it is in the near future... I've been coordinating with the rest of the team on a daily basis... Soo "Dead" isn't that best work for the current situation... How about.. lets say... "in hiding" :-)

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148113\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

people get busy with other things in life such as that damn thing called a job which earns you money. you cant expect people to work day and night on something and leave everything else neglected. pdaXrom is a hobby to most so it will happen in the spare time which is getting very sparce for some busy people.
encouragement and support is needed. how about creating a structured list of detailed bug description and enhancements for starters or help out with documentation?
there has been many people doing bits and pieces by themselves, nothing coordinated though...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 11:01:08 am »
people get busy with other things in life such as that damn thing called a job which earns you money. you cant expect people to work day and night on something and leave everything else neglected. pdaXrom is a hobby to most so it will happen in the spare time which is getting very sparce for some busy people.
encouragement and support is needed. how about creating a structured list of detailed bug description and enhancements for starters or help out with documentation?
there has been many people doing bits and pieces by themselves, nothing coordinated though...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Meanie... was this really directed toward me... or Omro?

Late
pdaXrom Developer
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:11:09 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Meanie... was this really directed toward me... or Omro?

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

it was directed to the general audience but more omro i guess
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

tanjian2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:15:59 am »
Late,
can I ask: does the work thats being done on pdaxrom affect the 3000? Will there be one solution to the flash/boot/md problem for all Zaurii or will we (3000 owners) still require a special case?

On the "in hiding" side of things any chance someone could publish a rough roadmap? Not looking for details or major commitments just an indication that for example 2.6 kernel is coming... then features X Y and Z etc... perhaps looking a year ahead?

Gotta say that pdaxrom rocks and keep up the good work...
SL-C3000(Spitz) - pdaXii13 5.5alpha + sound enhanced kernel - MD in 1 great big partition -  Ambicom CF Wifi + USB Ethernet  and NOW Zubuntu on a 4Gb SD

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 11:32:11 am »
Late,
can I ask: does the work thats being done on pdaxrom affect the 3000? Will there be one solution to the flash/boot/md problem for all Zaurii or will we (3000 owners) still require a special case?

On the "in hiding" side of things any chance someone could publish a rough roadmap? Not looking for details or major commitments just an indication that for example 2.6 kernel is coming... then features X Y and Z etc... perhaps looking a year ahead?

Gotta say that pdaxrom rocks and keep up the good work...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

3000 as of right now... isn't on my current agenda... and I feel bad to say so... I dont have a 3000, 3100 or 3200.. that I could even test booting with "/" on the microdrive... if I can talk my wife into getting me one for christmas... I may be able to go forward with that motion in the near future... but as of right now... I dont have the hardware to do it... Now uboot will make it alot easier for use to accomplish this... but once again... it isnt on *my* agenda just yet...

Meanie is making a great effort at getting it to boot on a 3000... if he has any questions for me or any of the devs... feel free to contact us...

Now a road map... we will prolly try to get a roadmap setup once we get a stable release in play... but as of right now... we are just working on bugs... to reach a stable release

Late -not my name... just "Later" with out the "r" :-)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:33:02 am by InSearchOf »
pdaXrom Developer
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:00:53 pm »
Out of curiosity, is it absolutely out of the question to use OE to build pdaXrom?  Not that i have anything against the current build system--It just seems that the current situation is this:  pdaXrom provides a vary nice very popular system. Nice interface good packages, well integrated, etc.  But it has a small dev team who seem rather overburdened.  taking what pdaXrom has done, adding recipies to OE and continuing work on improving both systems would be a far better use of resources. been discussed before---but now maybe worth thinking about?  Is it not possible to do? would it wreck one or the other system? Would it just be an annoyance to the pdax developers and end up with nothing but gpe? meanie might have some useful insight here, having worked with both systems extensively.

Anyway, i've generally been of the impression that pdaXrom is a better user experience, and that OZ is ultimately a more systematic, thus saner (if sometimes slower to handle device optimizations) building and development environment.

Not trying to start a flame here.  just curious about the best way to continue as devs come and go....
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:25:58 pm »
I think the ptxdist builder is a very stable builder and can be passed along as devs come and go... It is actually very similar to bitbake with the whole "Recipe" concept... tell it the ingrediants... watch it bake... :-)

I'm not saying the pdaxrom is better or worse using ptxdist and I'm not bashing bitbake...

I'm just one of those people that say...

"If it ain't broke, dont fix it"

Late
pdaXrom Developer
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 04:28:13 pm »
I think the ptxdist builder is a very stable builder and can be passed along as devs come and go... It is actually very similar to bitbake with the whole "Recipe" concept... tell it the ingrediants... watch it bake... :-)

I'm not saying the pdaxrom is better or worse using ptxdist and I'm not bashing bitbake...

I'm just one of those people that say...

"If it ain't broke, dont fix it"

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

for me neither bitbake nor ptxdist builder works since they require a pc and i am seldomly (once a month) at my pc so i rely on the native gcc for most of my compiles. for example, i build the entire pdaxii13 system on my Z. no pc was involved. zgcc image on pdaxrom just works with a few tweaks, native gcc on oz was some effort to get going but in the end was not as easy and useful as zgcc on pdaxrom since there were too many dev packages to be pulled in order to get the required headers for compilation and ipkg is rather slow on oz.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:29:59 pm by Meanie »

harvell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 04:53:37 pm »
Didn't r121 just come out 3 months ago w/ a 2.6.16 kernel?  When was the last time Sharp had an update for their ROM? OZ came out with 3.5.4.1 in July.... What are you looking for Omro?
C1000 w/...  Cacko Lite (When I use the Z alot for business)... pdaXrom (when I see something cool and want to try it.  Best way for me to learn shell commands)
Eee PC for Mrs. Harvell  
4G SD

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 06:21:47 pm »
Didn't r121 just come out 3 months ago w/ a 2.6.16 kernel?  When was the last time Sharp had an update for their ROM? OZ came out with 3.5.4.1 in July.... What are you looking for Omro?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I think that was just an example...

Late
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:24:32 pm by InSearchOf »
pdaXrom Developer
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

omro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 11:42:27 am »
Didn't r121 just come out 3 months ago w/ a 2.6.16 kernel?  When was the last time Sharp had an update for their ROM? OZ came out with 3.5.4.1 in July.... What are you looking for Omro?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

As I understood things, r121 came out and was more of a bugger to install and configure than beta4 and full of all the same old bugs as every other beta for the past year or more.

Isn't OZ on 3.5.4.2? The current Hentges rom is based on that I thought.

What am I looking for? The stable, bug fixed release which Late is talking about sounds very nice to me. However this is what we should have had rather than Betas 2 through 4 and this r121.

I guess the only thing I wanted to find out was if the development for pdaXrom had stopped being a closed, one man band thing, that didn't seem to be going anywhere fast and been opened up to allow all the talented people who were interested in contributing to pdaXrom to tidy it up, fix the bugs and take it forward.

In terms of stable, useable out of the box, releases.... pdaXrom hasn't had one of these in far too long unfortunately.
Zaurus C-1000

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 02:27:11 pm »
The thing is with these releases... it is hard for once person to say... ok everything works... here you go...

Betas are release so that the community can say... hey... I have a 3200 and the microdrive doesnt initize correctly... I have a c700 and screen brightness doesnt work...

Betas show us the way to making it a better OS... the reason there has been so many betas in recent time... is after beta3... the word of migratiing to 2.6 kernel series floated around... and since this isn't a JOB for us... why release fix all the bugs in beta3 just to start over with 2.6... a week after that release... once again... I know that comment might have sounded bad... but again... this isn't our JOB... we like to do it in our free time... and sometimes free time is hard to come by...

But yes the plan is to bring in another beta release... then a clean stable release... from there we will see how things are going... maybe even incorporate new features into the next release and debug them until the next stable release after there...

Just sit back be patience... we will come through...

Late - not my name... just "Later" with out the "r" :-)  <~ I'm debating on making a pinned thread just stating this :-)
pdaXrom Developer
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

gromituk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 03:06:30 pm »
Late - not my name... just "Later" with out the "r" :-)  <~ I'm debating on making a pinned thread just stating this :-)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I think it might just be easier to abandon your rather odd "signature"