Author Topic: Wanted: C7xx, possible trade with a Clie UX-50  (Read 7248 times)

wigglit

• View Profile
    • http://www.unixfool.com
Wanted: C7xx, possible trade with a Clie UX-50
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 03:49:50 pm »
Looks like someone needs some prozac or something.

ccrandal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 04:41:58 pm »
Well, I can sync just fine to my Mac OSX with the Clie... no such luck with the Zaurus.  So, you definitely don\'t need Windows with a Clie (albeit, you do need to pay $29.95 for Missing Sync).
MPEG videos play flawlessly on the Clie... most require a change in size and bitrate to run on the Z (unless maybe there\'s another viewer I haven\'t tried that works better).
WiFi and Bluetooth works flawlessly.  On the Z, I don\'t have any builtin software in the network applet to search for wifi networks.  Bluetooth works perfectly on my Clie... on the Z, the bluetooth adapter I have needs tweaking.  Oh, I don\'t have to carry 2 cards with my Clie.
Couldn\'t find a decent SMS app on the Z.  The one that comes with the Clie works great.
No Sharp support in the US for the C750.  Sony\'s support sucks, but at least I have it.

The Z is great.  Awesome screen, better underlying OS.  It\'s just missing some critical applications that are polished.  So for me, someone who is using a PDA as a PDA first, the Clie works better.  Maybe the next iteration of the clamshell Z will work out better.  If it has builtin wifi and bluetooth and perhaps a camera/video recorder, I\'ll make the switch again.
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
EDGE 512MB CF/Kingston 256MB SD
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF
Socket Bluetooth CF (rev F)

riki_nakamura

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 06:07:25 pm »
mentat_basher is ultimately right I can\'t understand why you can say the UX screen is sharper... it\'s so small and the black outing is so annoying... the SL-CXXX series have CG Silicon technology which no company but sharp has created... nothing beats it and the UX 50 is more like a toy... it\'s completely useless with the unbalanced design... it\'s all bulky on one side and the other has a long plate thingy sticking out... plus they only have a memory stick slot wich is almost useless to people without complete sony gadgets computers camera camcorders, mp3\'s etc. the z has cf and sd and so what if it doesn\'t have wifi or a camera built in it\'s a computer mostly and computers don\'t have camera built in and they don\'t have wifi built in... plus z\'s were built to be sold in japan and japanese people aren\'t cheapos and they are willing to buy wifi cards so easily!

DrWowe

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 06:16:49 pm »
If you could come up with a Linux distro for the Clie (esp one that boots off a Memory Stick) that would be awesome.

I\'ll just add a \"me too\".  UX50 hardware running embedded Linux is getting closer to my ultimate PDA!   (wouldn\'t mind trading the mem stick for an SD or CF though)

Although, C860 + WiFi + Bluetooth would be even closer...

ccrandal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 07:03:30 pm »
It has nothing to do with being cheap.  I don\'t want to clog an expansion slot plus have to carry around another card when it could\'ve just as easily been integrated.

As far as the screen goes, images on the Clie look better than on the Z while the Z\'s screen is larger and brighter.  That\'s not just me talking but everyone else at our shop that compared the two devices.  Personally, I\'d rather have the size and brightness, but the Clie is still sharper.
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF

ccrandal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 07:05:57 pm »
Also, what do you mean computers don\'t have builtin wifi????  All of the laptops and desktops I own have all the builtin... of course, I have Apples.  But even most of the laptops nowadays have a builtin wifi option if not builtin bluetooth.

The UX-50 being completely useless is not a very objective statement.  Obviously I found it to be more useful for my needs and considering I know about 12 others that are happy with it, it can\'t just be me.
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF

ccrandal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 07:08:13 pm »
Yes, builtin wifi+bluetooth in a C series would be very close to perfect (camera/video recorder comes in handy too).  That should be coming in the next few months.  If it comes out before Sept, i\'ll probably pick one up in Japan... unless Apple\'s PDA is released (which seems like the rumors surrounding it are pretty solid according to a couple Apple employees I\'m acquainted with).
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF

riki_nakamura

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2004, 12:33:36 am »
Not trying to make people mad but if you\'re gonna point out the goodness of other products and make the Z a pity then why don\'t you go to a UX forum or something???

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2004, 06:50:30 am »
Well, I can sync just fine to my Mac OSX with the Clie... no such luck with the Zaurus.  So, you definitely don\'t need Windows with a Clie (albeit, you do need to pay $29.95 for Missing Sync).
MPEG videos play flawlessly on the Clie... most require a change in size and bitrate to run on the Z (unless maybe there\'s another viewer I haven\'t tried that works better).
WiFi and Bluetooth works flawlessly.  On the Z, I don\'t have any builtin software in the network applet to search for wifi networks.  Bluetooth works perfectly on my Clie... on the Z, the bluetooth adapter I have needs tweaking.  Oh, I don\'t have to carry 2 cards with my Clie.
Couldn\'t find a decent SMS app on the Z.  The one that comes with the Clie works great.
No Sharp support in the US for the C750.  Sony\'s support sucks, but at least I have it.

The Z is great.  Awesome screen, better underlying OS.  It\'s just missing some critical applications that are polished.  So for me, someone who is using a PDA as a PDA first, the Clie works better.  Maybe the next iteration of the clamshell Z will work out better.  If it has builtin wifi and bluetooth and perhaps a camera/video recorder, I\'ll make the switch again.

Yes but like you say, to be able to sync requires more cash expenditure, we are not all living in the USA or have fat salaries. I don\'t know what Clie you have, but I can speak from experience from going FROM a NX70V to SL-5500, video did not play properly, 15 fps was the limit and the video was jerky, very jerky, as bad as one of those silly video phones at times. To get fluid video meant using another product, Kinoma, more money, no decent audio. And video DID have to be re-encoded to produce either Kinoma files or MQV\'s for the Clie movie player, no different to using a Z. MPEG-1 was poor, 15fps max again. I got excellent performance for movies on my 5500 video felt smooth, if you know what you\'re doing. PDFs had to be converted to a native format, as did many images, word/excel docs required conversion via Docs-to-go (Hancom is better for all my needs), only one product (more cost) supported native DOC/XLS files, but, would only open existing ones. The compact flash port was not supported then, needing 3rd party drivers (MORE cost) for buggy and unreliable results. The much praised camcorder was useless, my £25 digi-camcorder does it better. 5-10fps max. Took nice photos but the edges were blurred. A waste of my hard earned and saved money.

I am not sure why you bought a Linux device, you did know it was Linux didn\'t you? It was never intended for newbies or people who wanted point and click operation, it\'s a more advanced computer, I emphase - computer.  I spent just as much on my new 860 as I did the Clie, the Clie was just a Palm, a simple PDA for people who need PIM functions, not a computer, when you break the arguement down, the comparisions are meaningless, you cannot compare the two.

I regretted buying every PDA I ever bought except: Sharp PC-3100, HP 200LX and 5500/860. But notice if you will, I prefer computers, not PDAs. :-) If a PDA is what you needed, why buy a Z? It is not a PDA.

People who say \"oh I bought a Z because of the screen\" or \"I like the hardware\" make me laugh, one needs a bit more than that to make a good purchase decision, these people obviously have made the wrong choice.

riki_nakamura my friend, fear not, there are more of us, than them. ;-)
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

ccrandal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2004, 06:55:52 pm »
Not trying to make people mad but if you\'re gonna point out the goodness of other products and make the Z a pity then why don\'t you go to a UX forum or something???

Sigh.  I don\'t know why in these forums people get so offensive when some does go on and on about how great and wonderful the Z is and how it\'s so much superior to everything else on the planet.  Get real people.  I never made \"the Z a pity\".  I liked the Z, BUT IT DIDN\'T WORK AS WELL FOR ME AS SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!  So sorry to disappoint your world view by saying that.
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF

ccrandal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2004, 06:59:49 pm »
I don\'t really know why I need to justify why I bought a Z to anyone here.  I simply stated in the beginning that there were things about the Z I like and things about the UX I liked.  Ultimately, being able to sync with a Mac (for $29.99... don\'t think you need a fat salary for that.  For God\'s sake, if you are going to spend hundreds on a PDA, $29.99 is a drop in a bucket!!!), and a couple of better apps is what made me switch.  I bought the Z because I thought it might work better FOR ME!!!  It\'s not like these things are sitting on the store shelves down at Circuit City.  So to find out if I could switch, I had to buy it.  It didn\'t work out, so I sold it someone else who could make better use of it.  If the Z worked great for you, congrats!  But let\'s get over it if someone else didn\'t make the same choice.  Ugh!
Zaurus SL-C760
Cacko Qtopia 1.21b
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2004, 07:19:41 pm »
mentat_bashar - why the all caps?  it gives the impression of shouting... can you edit your post to be without all caps?
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 01:31:45 pm »
I don\'t really know why I need to justify why I bought a Z to anyone here.  I simply stated in the beginning that there were things about the Z I like and things about the UX I liked.  Ultimately, being able to sync with a Mac (for $29.99... don\'t think you need a fat salary for that.  For God\'s sake, if you are going to spend hundreds on a PDA, $29.99 is a drop in a bucket!!!), and a couple of better apps is what made me switch.  I bought the Z because I thought it might work better FOR ME!!!  It\'s not like these things are sitting on the store shelves down at Circuit City.  So to find out if I could switch, I had to buy it.  It didn\'t work out, so I sold it someone else who could make better use of it.  If the Z worked great for you, congrats!  But let\'s get over it if someone else didn\'t make the same choice.  Ugh!

I\'m sorry if it didn\'t work out for you, it depends on what you want from a machine I suppose, not everyone is a Linux hacker or user, I\'d never have recommended it to you in the first place to be truthful.  I hope you do find something that makes you happy.  You will always find people on any forum who may get a little ticked off if someone starts attacking something they like, the Zaurus in this case, there is too much of that going on recently, usually due to poor purchase choices. But I remember when I used to use Macs, they had quite a fanatical following back then - cult status, people either disliked them or loved them to the max, myself included. But I am not \'wealthy\' in US terms, I cannot afford another Mac, not everyone has money to \'try out\' a PDA, I had to save hard for a year, but I\'m glad you can.

Having tried the Palm OS platform and Linux, I don\'t see what other options are available to you. If there is a Mac/PocketPC sync option, maybe you could try that, or wait indefinately for Apple to produce a PDA.

I wish you well in whatever you decide. :-)

Best wishes.
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

dulinor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2004, 05:41:26 pm »
You know, if you guys who said you\'d do that trade are serious. I have a UX-50 w/ 512 MB memory stick and extra battery that has been idle for a while. I have been looking at getting a Zaurus a bit more up to date than my 5000. Anyone interested?

I really, really wish they had the 6000 features in the clamshell form factor. (Built-in Wifi, USB host)

TonyOlsen

• View Profile
    • http://www.userdimensions.com/Tony/Resume.html
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2004, 05:59:42 pm »
Did I hear correctly?  Some people actually think their low MHz, low memory, poor screen size, etc... Palm PDAs are better than the Zaurus?  That\'s a first for me.  I didn\'t even know people thought that... While Linux may not be as intuitive as Palm, it is more powerful.  Palm isn\'t even really considered a real OS.  It\'s usually found one step lower than WindowsCE.

The camera is nice, and I actually thought about getting one, but then I came to my senses and realized, like mentat_bashar said, it isn\'t a computer... it\'s only a fancy organizer.... and I wanted a computer.

As I found out tonight, the Z is completely useless in the dark if you wish to use the keyboard. The UX-50 has a beautiful, backlit keyboard.

There\'s a patch for that... it involves tilting the screen forward slightly and then, like a flashlight, you can see all!  
Tony Olsen
Ferris@Myself.Com
Resume
Zaurus SL-C860 QTopia
2 GB Static CF
1 GB MMC (although it isn't working yet)
My Quest: To get an x86 emulator working on my Zaurus and to have my Zaurus replace my laptop as my MAIN computer
Publically available Videos for the default Zaurus SL-C860 video player