Author Topic: SL 5500 TCK ROM 2.0 Aplha 3 with Home on SD script  (Read 23467 times)

Ventmore

• View Profile
SL 5500 TCK ROM 2.0 Aplha 3 with Home on SD script
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 01:17:36 pm »
I have just installed this ROM, with the home on SD, and the async kernel.

It seems to be working a treat, however, my wireless network card no longer works.  It worked fine on Sharp ROM 2.86 (I think) and 3.13 without any tweaking of the /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf file, but it now refuses to work with tkrom.

The device does detect a card, and labels it as an Intersil PRISM2 11Mbps card, but when I go into the network settings, it says there is no network available.

I tried adding the card manually to the wlan-ng.conf file, but that doesn't work either.

I don't want to go back to the Sharp ROM, as this one is great...apart from this problem

All input appreciated
Ventmore

Ventmore

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2006, 01:02:41 pm »
Well...I've just gone trhough the whole process again, and this time it is working perfectly.

This time, I installed the wireless card after the initial flash.  It was working fine, so I went ahead and flashed the async kernel.  I checked the card again, and again it worked.  After that, as the card was working, I ran:

prep-home-sd.sh -s 20 -t -c

Success!!!

The only thing I did differently, was to run the prep script with -c instead of -i.  Also, I haven't reset again to clear the RAM out, but I don't think that should make a difference...in fact...I'll try that now.

Still working, and all of my apps are still intact

Cheers
Ventmore

Ventmore

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2006, 07:14:45 pm »
Ok...I've lost it again.  The card shows that it is recognised, as usual, but no network connection is hown, and if I run opera, it pops a net connection box, but there is nothing in the list.

Also, when I insert the card now, the light comes on and stays on, whereas, when it's working properly, the light only comes on when connected.

Any help would be very welcome
Ventmore

kb7sqi

• View Profile
    • http://kb7sqi.dyndns.org
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2006, 02:03:59 pm »
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'ld let everyone know that I took some time to mess w/ my old 5500 last night and I was successful in taking the /root/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script from the TKC ROM 2.0 Alpha 3 and modifying both the original TKC 1.0 ROM and the Sharp 3.13 ROM w/ the script.  The process was pretty quick and easy.  While doing it I went ahead and replaced the /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o module w/ the patched one that is also mentioned here in the thread.  My reasoning for doing this is,  I never had much luck w/ the Cacko ROM/Kernel being stable w/ home on my sd card.   The TKC ROM  2 has always ran stable.  Anyway, I was getting errors when trying to use tun.o and ipsec.o modules w/ the TKC kernel.  Both worked fine w/ the Original Sharp Kernel/3.13 ROM.  So, now I have the 3.13 ROM running vpnc w/ no problems and still have my /home on my SD card.  Everything is stable.   Besides, re-installing alot of packages, I'm pretty happy using the stock Sharp ROM for now, but I'm going to revisit this area eventually and make an new updated ROM for my 5500.  If anyone is interested in the initrd.bin files, feel free to drop me an email.   I usually read the site daily when I can, but hardly ever post.  I haven't used my Z in awhile because of work, but I've been growing tired of my Palm PDA's again & have a re-newed interest in the Z.  In fact I just bought a 5600 today & will hopefully have 6000 this week.  I'm also looking forward to getting a 3200 to replace the 3000 I sold to loc4me last year along w/ my Palm LifeDrive and a TX.  He just got those not too long ago and has been having fun w/ lately.  :-)
Steve,  Sun SSE

http://kb7sqi.dyndns.org
Z's currently using 5500 & 750.  Used to own C3K. 5600, 760 & C1000.

arniel

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2006, 10:05:36 am »
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'ld let everyone know that I took some time to mess w/ my old 5500 last night and I was successful in taking the /root/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script from the TKC ROM 2.0 Alpha 3 and modifying both the original TKC 1.0 ROM and the Sharp 3.13 ROM w/ the script.  The process was pretty quick and easy.  While doing it I went ahead and replaced the /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o module w/ the patched one that is also mentioned here in the thread.  My reasoning for doing this is,  I never had much luck w/ the Cacko ROM/Kernel being stable w/ home on my sd card.   The TKC ROM  2 has always ran stable.  Anyway, I was getting errors when trying to use tun.o and ipsec.o modules w/ the TKC kernel.  Both worked fine w/ the Original Sharp Kernel/3.13 ROM.  So, now I have the 3.13 ROM running vpnc w/ no problems and still have my /home on my SD card.  Everything is stable.   Besides, re-installing alot of packages, I'm pretty happy using the stock Sharp ROM for now, but I'm going to revisit this area eventually and make an new updated ROM for my 5500.  If anyone is interested in the initrd.bin files, feel free to drop me an email.   I usually read the site daily when I can, but hardly ever post.  I haven't used my Z in awhile because of work, but I've been growing tired of my Palm PDA's again & have a re-newed interest in the Z.  In fact I just bought a 5600 today & will hopefully have 6000 this week.  I'm also looking forward to getting a 3200 to replace the 3000 I sold to loc4me last year along w/ my Palm LifeDrive and a TX.  He just got those not too long ago and has been having fun w/ lately.  :-)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146754\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'd certainly be interested in a new ROM for the 5500, looks like things have stagnated a bit... all the alternatives to OZ are at least 2 years old.  In fact, I just installed Cacko 2.4.18 w/1.6.2 yesterday as I'm looking for a more stable alternative to OZ, but of course it's not a pretty/functional and I've yet to get some useful IPKs together for pdf reading and opera.

tux

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2007, 08:48:08 am »

Just thought I'd bump this thread up a bit.

The threads about using the tweaked Sharp and TKC roms that have  home on sd with the >2gb drivers seem to have made it more topical.

(Oh and thanks very much to kb7sqi for the work and the product!)

If any admin reads this and has the time would it be possible to move this thread to the 5500 general forum?

If that happened would it be possible to make it a sticky thread?  

If that happened perhaps the two other threads mentioned above could also be made sticky?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 08:54:18 am by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!