Author Topic: Need Help With Wpa  (Read 5237 times)

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
Need Help With Wpa
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:39:07 pm »
I have been reading threads about WPA for ever, it seems, and I just cannot get it working in pdaxii13.
My card is the Ambicom WL1100C-CF  (It is new and has later firmware, 1.8)
I used this guide to get WPA working in cacko.
http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=cacko
It works fine in cacko, I just connected to my router with my cacko zaurus 5 minutes ago.
My card shows this
--------------------------------------------------------------------
hostap_diag wlan0
    NICID: id=0x801b v1.0.0 (PRISM III (2.5) PCMCIA (SST parallel flash))
    PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.0 (primary firmware)
    STAID: id=0x001f v1.8.0 (station firmware) or (secondary firmware)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have these installed for WPA
wpa_supplicant 0.3.9-1
hostapd 4.7-1
hostap-driver 4.7-1
hostap-utils 4.7-1
wifi-radar 1.9.4

I have these settings on my router under wifi security:
Security mode: "WPA Personal"
WPA Algorithm: "TKIP"
Below are screenshots of my router config pages.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:26:55 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:17:29 pm »
I have the same card and also want to know how to set up WPA.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

Jon_J

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:53:46 pm »
I still don't have WPA working in pdaxii13.
I tried daniel3000's Lan & Wifi config with wpa settings and his version of "network.py"
https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23804
I still cannot connect to my router.
I only use my cacko zaurus to go online now, since I don't want to disable WPA on my router.
One other problem has cropped up since I've been fiddling with all these files trying to get WPA to work, and am not sure if this occurred before or after I started using daniel3000's "network.py".
Whenever I plug in my Wifi card, (or unplug it), my entire hard drive becomes unmounted, (or is it ejected?).
I lose /data
I lose /mnt/ide (this is where I have firefox installed)
I'm not sure if my swap partition becomes unmounted, but I assume it is unmounted because my other 2 partitions are.
I reboot to restore my mounts because I don't know if swap gets disabled.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 12:56:17 pm by Jon_J »

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:04:02 pm »
I'd bet something is trying to eject your wireless card and is ejecting your microdrive instead. I'd check Danile3000's script.

Jon_J

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:12:29 pm »
Thanks Capn_Fish
I don't know enough about scripting to edit these files, I may just go back to the original "network.py" that comes with pdaxii13. I can look for an entry that causes this ejection, but won't be sure how to edit it without making the situation worse.

At the end of that post, meanie suggests wifi radar to daniel3000, and the discussion of the modified "network.py" stops.
I have tried wifi radar, but I don't understand the settings.
What is a WPA driver? What is the correct filename? I googled and have only found one entry for this so-called driver, "ipw"
Where in the heck is this file located on my Zaurus?

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:40:24 pm »
"ipw" sounds like the Intel integrated wireless drinver (ipw 2x00).

To fix whatever script is broken and ejecting your MD, look (search) for a line like this:

cardctl eject x (x is either a 0 or a 1)

If it is followed by a 0 (cardctl eject 0), then there's your issue: on my Z "0" refers to the MD, while 1 is the CF card. That may change if you boot with a CF card inserted, though.

No idea about the WPA stuff, as you can see from my first post, I'm as new to it as you are.

Jon_J

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 11:25:51 am »
It's cardctl1 listed in the script.
I have always booted with my CF card in pdaxrom, this must be why my microdrive is getting ejected when using my wifi card.
I'll refrain from booting with my CF card inserted from now on.

Doesn't anyone use WPA in pdaxrom??
Why not just copy the files from Cacko and use the configuration that cacko uses to enable WPA?
Or is this a kernel thing?

walts

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 08:42:39 am »
It's cardctl1 listed in the script.
I have always booted with my CF card in pdaxrom, this must be why my microdrive is getting ejected when using my wifi card.
I'll refrain from booting with my CF card inserted from now on.

Doesn't anyone use WPA in pdaxrom??
Why not just copy the files from Cacko and use the configuration that cacko uses to enable WPA?
Or is this a kernel thing?
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Jon, I don't know if this thread has died or not, but here's my two cents' worth.

I did get WPA working in pdaXii13 on a c3200 - once!  I essentially did what you have described above, plus entering the card info in /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.cofig and /etc/pcmcia/hermes.config.

My use of the 3200 depends on having a good wi-fi scanner, to audit my networks.  A program like Wellenreiter or kismet coupled with ethereal.  I could not get either Wellenreiter or kismet to work properly on pdaXii13.  There is something about the way they use the card that is incompatible with WPA, I guess.  I believe they need to use "promiscuous mode" on the card so that they can listen to packets NOT addressed to the card doing the monitoring.  Kismet even warns you upon exit that you may have to remove and re-insert you wifi card to use it again.  I can live with that but I do need to return to WPA authentication when I'm done, without having to reboot!

In any event, I finally gave up and went back to Cacko.  While I was experimenting with Cacko, I discovered [a href=\"http://zaurus.daemons.gr/menaie/mirror/jumbo/pdaxqtrom.html]pdaXQtrom[/url].  This is an implementation of X that runs under a Sharp ROM (Including Cacko).

By the Way!  THANKS! to Meanie (menaie?) for providing all of those wonderfully illustrated  and clearly explained pages on the ROMs for the clamshell series! [/b]

Back from my tangent, this seemed to be the answer for me.  The programs run slower, which is to be expected given the extra layers of code, but the one almost fatal flaw for me is that a lot of the ethereal configuration screens are too long.  Since they are pop-ups with no scrollbars, I can't get to the bottom third of the screen, and rotating the physical screen back and forth is not acceptable.  Besides, being a junkie for fast computers, I decided to have another run at native pdaXii13.

Things have never been the same since.  There must be some section of nonvolitale memory that gets changed by some of the flashing routines but not by others.  Right now I am where you are - with pdaXii13 loaded but unusable without networking.  I tried going back again to Cacko, but it won't boot.  I restored the Sharp (Trisoft) NAND restore and HDD configuration and that works, but for some reason Cacko flashes OK but won't boot - it gets stuck in a loop trying to grep a file and won't get out of it.

I'm not sure what I am going to do next.  I don't mind editing config files or even writing short scripts but I do need guidance.  

During bootup, some (unknown to me) program checks the CF card, and somehow uses /etc/pcmcia/config.  The manfid for our card is 0xd601, 0x0002.  In my config file, there is a card called WF701 with the same manfid, but bound to the orinoco drivers.   If I boot with the file "as-is", my card gets identified as the WF701, and nothing I do with editing config files, or using wifi-radar seems to help.  I tried adding the hostap drivers following the pattern for the orinoco drivers at the top of the file, and commenting out the card name, replacing it with the string for the WL1100C:

card "AmbiCom", "WL1100C 802.11b CF-Card", "2.2"
    manfid 0xd601, 0x0002
    bind "hostap_cs"

This yields a message about an unsupported card in socket 0 on boot!  NOTHING works after that.

There is information about the card in several config files, but I'm not sure what role each plays.  You can read more about my one successful attempt In this thread - a feat I have been unable to duplicate  

(I have since learned that I don't need to upload the card's RAM - the current version supports WPA)

So, Jon, if you or anyone else has any information to share abotu how to get this stuff working, I would be very grateful.  I'd especially like to see some sort of description of what programs and files are used in the process of getting the wi-fi card up and running.

Walt
C-3200, AmbiCom WL-1100C network card, pdaXii13V2

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 05:59:44 am »
well, the problem is that the same manfid (manfid 0xd601, 0x0002) is used by several different cards, some of which require the orinoco drivers whereas others require the hostap driver. the problem is because the manfid is exactly the same, you can only one one or the other card working but not both.

i chose to have the orinoco driver being loaded for manfid 0xd601, 0x0002 instead of hostap because my wifi card (Netgear MA701) uses the orinoco driver.

in your case, the Ambicom needs the hostap driver instead.

what you need to do is edit /etc/pcmcia/config and search for MA701

comment out that section and right above that section you will see another section for AmbiCom WL1100C.
uncomment the manfid in that section and reboot your Z.

your wifi card should now work with standard WEP.

in order to get WPA working, you need to configure your passphrase for wpa_supplicant. see http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/pdaxii13.html#wifi

you should not need to flash a firmware or install any additional driver/software in order to get WPA working if you have latest pdaXii13 full installed.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

walts

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:40:23 am »
9/2/2007 8:00 PM
I decided that I had mucked about with config files long enough and needed to get back to a known state, so I went all the way back to the Sharp (Trisoft) ROM and re-installed pdaXii13 from scratch.  I used the Akita install files and the Spitz hard disk image for full install, from the tyrannozaurus site.

Since then I have modified wpa_supplicant.conf and set up my AP in the Lan and Wifi applet, and added WPA="y" to the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.  I ran wifi-radar and added my SSID and told it to use the hostap drivers.  Hostap version 0.4.7 is installed by default.

wifi-radar finds my network but can't get a DHCP address.  If I run it from a command line rather than the menu, it gives "Warning" Driver for wifi0 recommended version 18 of wireless extensions but has been compiled with version 16, therefore some driver features may not be available..."

I don't know what the difference is between wifi0 and wlan0.  wifi-radar in autodetect mode choses the former.  If I force it to use wlan0, nothing different happens.  In ifconfig, both show the same MAC address excpet that wifi0 has a string of zeros after the address.  I left it forced to wlan0.

cardctl ident shows the card correctly, as an AmbiCom WL1100C.  The little card applet in the tray identifies it as a Z-Com XI300 card.  In the previous installation of pdaXii13 the card was showing up as an MA701.  I decided not to fiddle with /etc/pcmcia/config!

Finally I ran
Code: [Select]
ifconfig wlan0 upfollowed by wifi-radar, and got an IP address.  

So, summing up, here is what worked for me this time:
- Quit worrying about the erroneous card identification in the tray applet.  Evidently wifi-radar overrides that.
- Starting from a clean install, set up your ssid in the Lan and Wifi applet, leaving the WEP stuff blank
- Edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to add the line
WPA="y"   at the end of the entry just created under your ssid.
- Add your network's information to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (Or replace the whole file.  Here's mine, (with the psk modified)):
network={
       ssid="0ur1an"
       proto=WPA
       pairwise=TKIP
       psk=AC373C7C9925138F48B21AEC4F4734CA01D333485BF10014F4734CA01A655C57
       priority=1
}
- In wifi-radar, add your network's configuration, specifying the appropriate driver (hostap for the WL1100C).  I also added "ifconfig wlan0 up" to the connection command option in wifi-radar.

That completes the setup.

Now, after reboot or sleep, I can connect just using wifi-radar.

Many thanks to the more experienced folks on this forum who have been so patient and helpful over the past weeks!

Walt

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »
9/2/2007 8:00 PM
I decided that I had mucked about with config files long enough and needed to get back to a known state, so I went all the way back to the Sharp (Trisoft) ROM and re-installed pdaXii13 from scratch.  I used the Akita install files and the Spitz hard disk image for full install, from the tyrannozaurus site.

Since then I have modified wpa_supplicant.conf and set up my AP in the Lan and Wifi applet, and added WPA="y" to the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.  I ran wifi-radar and added my SSID and told it to use the hostap drivers.  Hostap version 0.4.7 is installed by default.

wifi-radar finds my network but can't get a DHCP address.  If I run it from a command line rather than the menu, it gives "Warning" Driver for wifi0 recommended version 18 of wireless extensions but has been compiled with version 16, therefore some driver features may not be available..."

I don't know what the difference is between wifi0 and wlan0.  wifi-radar in autodetect mode choses the former.  If I force it to use wlan0, nothing different happens.  In ifconfig, both show the same MAC address excpet that wifi0 has a string of zeros after the address.  I left it forced to wlan0.

cardctl ident shows the card correctly, as an AmbiCom WL1100C.  The little card applet in the tray identifies it as a Z-Com XI300 card.  In the previous installation of pdaXii13 the card was showing up as an MA701.  I decided not to fiddle with /etc/pcmcia/config!

Finally I ran
ifconfig wlan0 upfollowed by wifi-radar, and got an IP address.   

So, summing up, here is what worked for me this time:
- Quit worrying about the erroneous card identification in the tray applet.  Evidently wifi-radar overrides that.
- Starting from a clean install, set up your ssid in the Lan and Wifi applet, leaving the WEP stuff blank
- Edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to add the line
WPA="y"   at the end of the entry just created under your ssid.
- Add your network's information to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (Or replace the whole file.  Here's mine, (with the psk modified)):
network={
       ssid="0ur1an"
       proto=WPA
       pairwise=TKIP
       psk=AC373C7C9925138F48B21AEC4F4734CA01D333485BF10014F4734CA01A655C57
       priority=1
}
- In wifi-radar, add your network's configuration, specifying the appropriate driver (hostap for the WL1100C).  I also added "ifconfig wlan0 up" to the connection command option in wifi-radar.

That completes the setup.

Now, after reboot or sleep, I can connect just using wifi-radar.

Many thanks to the more experienced folks on this forum who have been so patient and helpful over the past weeks!

Walt
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

glad you got it working under pdaXii13 and thanks for the detailed info on how you got it working. hopefully it will help others getting it to work also since there seems to be quite a log of people struggling to get it working. i am still using WEP  since my primary router only supports WEP. I should play with my other router at my other house to see if I can get WPA working one of these days...

anyway, just fyi, the Lan and Wifi tool and Wifi-radar are two independant tools to setup networking and use independent configs each except for /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf which is shared, so in theory you can get wpa wifi network going from either wifi-radar or the Lan & Wifi tool.

from what I have read about wpa you should be able to do the following to get it running:

either use the Lan & Wifi tool or Wifi-Radar to create a wifi network profile for your SSID

a) Lan & Wifi tool
create a Wifi Profile and select WPA option
in the new WPA tab, provide a passphrase which will generate /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and add WPA="y" to the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file
select wlan0 as the device and click on Connect

Wifi-Radar
configure /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf manually
use Wifi-Radar and enable WPA option with driver as hostap
add "ifconfig wlan0 up" to the connection command
connect using wifi-radar
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

walts

• View Profile
Need Help With Wpa
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:57 am »
Thanks, Meanie  

If there's a wiki (I haven't found one) I'll be glad to write up something for it.

My Lan and Wifi tool does not have a Connect button that I can find.  In Cacko and the original Sharp ROM it did, and the tray applet also had a way to select a configuration and connect to it.  Handy.  In fact, IIRC, it would "automagically" connect to my AP as soon as the Z came out of sleep mode, or re-booted.  I had only one AP configured with the "Connect" box checked.  I don't know what would happen if there were more than one active.

I don't know what router you are using.  I have a fairly old Linksys WRT-54 device that did not support WPA, but I found an open source upgrade at DD-WRT.com that adds WPA and a lot of other features.  I have it installed on two routers and it works very well.  The newer models of that router don't have room for all of the firmware upgrades, though.  The documentation is pretty thorough so you won't get into trouble if you RTFM  

Walt