Author Topic: Zaurus Out Of Production?  (Read 130929 times)

case

• View Profile
Zaurus Out Of Production?
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2007, 09:25:04 pm »
Hi,

This may be off topic, if it is I am sorry.  I am glad to hear the Z is not dead.
I have a c1000 that is great.  And am considering getting another c1000 or 6000l.

Since this thread started I have been collecting a few apps I do not really need now but may need in the future.  I am doing this because I am afraid they may become difficult or impossible to find.  I really started doing this when zaurususergroup.org went down.  Any thoughts?  

Again if this is off topic I am sorry......

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »
I tought this was zaurususergroup?

most stuff is pretty well mirrored, but keeping apps in storage isn't a bad idea.
why a 6000 or 1000 particularly?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

case

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2007, 09:40:53 pm »
I have a c1000 already so this would be a backup.  I always really liked the 6000l and its form factor........

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2007, 09:49:00 pm »
I always really liked the 6000l and its form factor........
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Funny, I HATE the slab form factor...Leaves the screen open to damage and buttons are easily pressed. The sliding keyboard is a nice touch, though. The screen is nice too...
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

case

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2007, 10:01:57 pm »
I worry about the c1000's hinge becoming weak and damaged from repeated opening and closing.  I like the slab because aside from an impact to the screen, there are fewer mechnical parts to become damaged.  

But don't get me wrong the c1000 is an awesome machine all the way around.........

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:23 pm »
these days my 6k mostly lives in its cradle on my nightstand for reading and browsing, the 3100 travels more.  I think the clamshell factor gives me more of a feeling of security--and the keyboard is much better.  Of course if the family travels my wife brings the 6k, hence the sharprom setup
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2007, 03:37:51 am »
I'm a solid Z user.  As long as they sell them/ I'll keep buying.  BTW, I am using a 8gb internal drive.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I was talking about ram.

How hard was the drive swap-- I have a 6G that I might pop in the 3100 if it isn't like neurosurgery
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It isn't too hard.
The weakest point, in my opinion, is not to damage the screen cable connectors on the motherboard.
The locks for the cables have to be lifted UPWARDS, not pulled out, as it was the case with many older, larger versions of such connectors.
The plastic is very fragile.

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

Fushnchupsh

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »
did you have trouble getting that black casing off?  I sure did.

--Fish
C3200 (Conics) Pdaxrom r198
Symbol cf wifi
GE USB host "cable"
Nokia 770 (Woot!)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2007, 05:34:54 pm »
back a bit on topic.... i wonder if Trisoft can tell us more about the future of the Z, whether Sharp *are* going to continue production or not, and whether there's another model pending?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

gr8ful

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2007, 06:20:15 pm »
back a bit on topic.... i wonder if Trisoft can tell us more about the future of the Z, whether Sharp *are* going to continue production or not, and whether there's another model pending?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Now that the UMPC market seems to be moving forward and with the recent Intel announcement about the Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), I hope Sharp reworks the Zaurus to enter this market.  In its current form it is oh so close to these devices already.  

Build a new clamshell with the Sharp Em-One specs: 4.1 inch screen, 802.11, bluetooth, integrated camera, etc., but use the new Intel Menlow chipset.  I would even take the Sharp Em-One (s01sh) as it is now, with the new Intel chipset and the ability to run on the cellular networks in the US.

Oh, it is so fun to dream.
SL-C1000, Cacko 1.23 & pdaXQTrom, 4GB Microdrive, AmbiCom WL1100C-CF Wifi card, AmbiCom BT2000-CF Bluetooth card

TRIsoft

• View Profile
    • http://www.trisoft.de
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2007, 05:56:48 am »
Hi all,
i wonder if Trisoft can tell us more about the future of the Z...[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
we would if we had any hard informations.
We told you everything we know by now.
Fact is, that the 1000 and the 3200 are still in production.
But it was also fact in mid January that they cancel in Feb   .
Now they act like they never announced it (but it was a
VERY clear statement in Janaury).
There're definitely no informations about a new model.
(You know that the 4000 was cancelled because of the
cake baker interface thingy   )

Sorry, but we don't have any news for you.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

Fushnchupsh

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2007, 04:11:34 pm »
down right shame!  I really wanted some cake.....  

Thanks for the update, Marc

--Fish
C3200 (Conics) Pdaxrom r198
Symbol cf wifi
GE USB host "cable"
Nokia 770 (Woot!)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2007, 05:16:21 pm »
Hi Trisoft,
whilst I don't expect you to give away your trade secrets, can you hint as to how many zauruses you've supplied?

It seems to me that there must be many more zauruses sold into Europe and USA than there are people on this forum, and since they don't change hands too often I wonder how many non-oesf members there are and what they are doing with them!

When/if you buy in another batch, would you be able to tell us what the manufacturing dates on them are, so we can try and guess whether Sharp are still making batches of them?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

iwantprogress

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2007, 03:26:07 am »
i'm new here, so i'd be interested in hearing from experienced z'ers how much of this speculation is (understandably) wishful thinking and how actually pr>0.33.

for example, is it logical that if sharp has spare manufacturing capacity and don't need to retool, they'd continue as long as they can?  if so, that would be a manufacturing thing, and the designers could long since have been reassigned.  no new models.

on that subject, i'm flabbergasted that the answers to these questions are unknowns... do sharp engineers keep secrets about what they are working on that close?  in silicon valley, most people kind of know what most people are working on, kind of, in this type of situation.
what i have: hplx, debian desktop.

what i want: sl-c3200-ish with flush-ish wireless ip to desktop and preferably slightly updated other specs.  nice pims, gnu- or xemacs, unix shell tools, an apt-get-ish feed, and some type of disk encryption.  i do not want a phone.

why: linux (necessary), thumb typable (critical), smallish, lightish, reliable, big open source ecosystem.

TRIsoft

• View Profile
    • http://www.trisoft.de
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2007, 05:07:39 am »
Hi speculatrix,
It seems to me that there must be many more zauruses sold into Europe and USA than there are people on this forum, and since they don't change hands too often I wonder how many non-oesf members there are and what they are doing with them!
The answer is easy: A few thousand users that don't even
know, that they're working with a Zaurus  
We sell only a few Zauri to Linux-geeks or endusers.
Most units go into professional / project sales. For
example one of our customers uses more than 1000
SL-C860/SL-C1000 with a special software for tour
planning / ordering / accounting. These Zauri are
used in delivery trucks and the truck driver just knows,
that this nice thing tells him what to drop off and how
many cash he has to take. He will never heard about
something like a "Zaurus" even if he use it every day.
Another nice application is the usage in helicopters:
http://www.eae.de/produkte_helimap.php
Also here, the pilot uses his "helimap" and don't
know that this is a Zaurus.
Funny sidenote: One of the most critical points here,
was to reduce the backlight brightness to make it
readable with night vision goggles.
A device with an open source platform is also very
interesting for users with, lets call it "high security
requirements" (dunno if they paint them in camo).
So there're a lot of people working with our beloved
gadgets every day, but they'll never join OESF  

And we'll have an eye on the production dates, but
Sharp often starts a bigger production run and sells
the units over a few months. We'll keep you updated.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan