Author Topic: No More Hope  (Read 7452 times)

scoutme

• View Profile
No More Hope
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:50 pm »
Ok. We have different "stable" versions of pdaxrom, depending on the hardware. Every version differs A LOT from other. And we have people developing and working for their version. So, we have some apps for some releases, and some for other. And I have not any good reason left to have my zaurus.

I imagine my next step is selling my sl-c860, or letting it on my desk as a paper holder.

I think no one MUST do something; I think one CAN do something, and people should be grateful fot that work. Anyway, I think some more light on REAL project status would be very kind of you all, pdaxrom developers.

I leave, I'm sorry not to have sold my zaurus some months ago; maybe I could buy something else.
I don't want to be simply polemic. I want to be useful.

Hi all.

grog

• View Profile
    • http://
No More Hope
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:48:07 pm »
Why not try a different distro (OZ, Cacko, etc) instead of giving up on the Z altogether? Pdaxrom is a good one, but it's not the only one
GROG!

tanjian2

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:59:16 pm »
How can having choices be a bad thing. People are working on different levels. The guys are off developing the next release of pdaxrom - including newer kernel etc....
Meanwhile Meanie has done an excellent job in getting what was beta3 stable and running on 3000 and anyother Cxxxx model. The 860 is already fully supported on beta1/beta3 etc.... And as far as I know all the compiled apps (thanks to lots of different people) are all compatible with beta3 on all hardware.

I'm a daily fan of these forums and pdaxrom is by far the busiest - there is just so much going on. What functionality is missing that people are so eager to have a new release?
The new apps thread have stuff almost daily - just loading and running the new apps and testing them everyday could keep someone keen to have new stuff happy....... and provide useful feedback.

There is even lots of discussions on where to put all this new stuff and managing feeds etc.....
Never mind Antix's web site tracking this stuff too.

I think there are plenty of jobs out there if your keen to help :-)

Just my pennys worth......
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:04:22 pm by tanjian2 »
SL-C3000(Spitz) - pdaXii13 5.5alpha + sound enhanced kernel - MD in 1 great big partition -  Ambicom CF Wifi + USB Ethernet  and NOW Zubuntu on a 4Gb SD

scoutme

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:19:08 pm »
actually, the ONLY stable release on sl-c860 is BETA1 but....--- UHH... OPS! ----.... that's the ONLY release no one is developing for. Someone told that beta3 is good on 860, so everyone thinks that building apps for beta 3 and 4 is ok for any user. There are news in here today: beta 3 ISN'T stable AT ALL on 860. That's why I'm an extremely sad zaurus user at the moment.

Darth_Sith

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:00:12 pm »
Scoutme, I think what you are thinking..

After a year of happy pdax user, I change distro!
Pdax is very powa and functional, but needs of user's blood, and often is slow.
At the moment I want something of useful, fast and power (less of pdax, of course, but enought...), so I switch to cacko.

Please, before you sell the best PDA on the world, try cacko.
I have also a wonderful Palm T3, and it is a different thing.
I think that all the people here, like me, can't see them with a windows mobile machine...

SL-C1000 + cacko 1.23F + sd4GB + CFBT + CFWiFi
HTC Polaris

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 05:01:37 pm »
actually, the ONLY stable release on sl-c860 is BETA1 but....--- UHH... OPS! ----.... that's the ONLY release no one is developing for. Someone told that beta3 is good on 860, so everyone thinks that building apps for beta 3 and 4 is ok for any user. There are news in here today: beta 3 ISN'T stable AT ALL on 860. That's why I'm an extremely sad zaurus user at the moment.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Have you tried r121? It has a few quirks, but none of them make it unusable. It also supports all of the compiled apps. I haven't had it crash yet on my C3100.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

scoutme

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 05:11:51 pm »
almost as unusable on 860 as beta 4
no luck

Sorearse

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:30:56 pm »
no luck
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi Scoutme
I have a c760 I was happily using r121 on my 760 for daily mail reading with Sylpheed, Firefox or Dillo web browsing and chat when in wifi hospots. Yes, there are bugs/issues, but I found many are simple to fix and then the Z becomes very usable. The 860 is essentially the same machine as the 760, so maybe you should persevere and apply some of the fixes that are in this forum ?

I have since had hardwre problems with my 760 and have upgraded to c1000, which also runs fine with r121 despite some minor flaws.

Sorearse
Broken SL-C760 - pdaXrom 1.1.0r121
SL-C1000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0r121 + xfce 4.4
Ambicom WL110C-CF Wifi
Buffalo 1GB SD
Lexar 1GB CF,
IO Data CFGPS2 (GPS)

merli

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 06:06:46 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I am owner C1000 and I have to say that beta1 is most stable version here. Nor beta3 nor beta4 nor 121. So I am stuck to beta1 and I did not have any problems to run beta3 appz. And when I will have I can put required libraries (no other differences between beta1 and beta3 are for runnig appz) easily into beta1.

my 2 cents :-)
merli
------
SL-C1000 - pdaxii13 5.3.3 but considering go back to beta1
Wifi D-link DCF-650W CF card - not using
bluetooth Billionton BT CF card and Samsung SGH-i310 GPRS
Pretec Cheetah 133x 4GB SD, Pretec Cheetah 80x 1GB CF

scoutme

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:11:26 pm »
no luck
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi Scoutme
I have a c760 I was happily using r121 on my 760 for daily mail reading with Sylpheed, Firefox or Dillo web browsing and chat when in wifi hospots. Yes, there are bugs/issues, but I found many are simple to fix and then the Z becomes very usable. The 860 is essentially the same machine as the 760, so maybe you should persevere and apply some of the fixes that are in this forum ?

I have since had hardwre problems with my 760 and have upgraded to c1000, which also runs fine with r121 despite some minor flaws.

Sorearse
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I don't want to buy another zaurus to have a working system

scoutme

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:12:11 pm »

I am owner C1000 and I have to say that beta1 is most stable version here. Nor beta3 nor beta4 nor 121. So I am stuck to beta1 and I did not have any problems to run beta3 appz. And when I will have I can put required libraries (no other differences between beta1 and beta3 are for runnig appz) easily into beta1.

my 2 cents :-)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

well, I'll give another try...

Drake01

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 06:19:29 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'm running beta3 on a C1000 and I haven't noticed any issues with "instability."  Beta4 was challenging, so I "retro-graded" back to beta3 for the moment.  Besides some unresolved issues with keymapping on an external keyboard, there is very little that I can complain about.

What are / were the specific issues you experienced with beta3 on a C1000?
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 06:41:57 pm »
well, I'll give another try...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
That's the spirit!
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

merli

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 03:13:35 am »
I'm running beta3 on a C1000 and I haven't noticed any issues with "instability."  Beta4 was challenging, so I "retro-graded" back to beta3 for the moment.  Besides some unresolved issues with keymapping on an external keyboard, there is very little that I can complain about.

What are / were the specific issues you experienced with beta3 on a C1000?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I could not see any accented characters in justreader in cp1250.
No problem in beta1. Working great from install.
What's main differences between beta1 and beta3?
merli
------
SL-C1000 - pdaxii13 5.3.3 but considering go back to beta1
Wifi D-link DCF-650W CF card - not using
bluetooth Billionton BT CF card and Samsung SGH-i310 GPRS
Pretec Cheetah 133x 4GB SD, Pretec Cheetah 80x 1GB CF

xjqian

• View Profile
No More Hope
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 03:49:17 am »
The PDAXrom user/developer spirit is top-notch but the documentation is decades behind the OZ team.

I don't know what I should do to move Tosa beyond beta1. What's the difference between beta3 and beta1 on the other machines? Are those fixes also applicable to Tosa?
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc