Author Topic: Zaurus Sets Off Detector!  (Read 2394 times)

T3_slider

• View Profile
Zaurus Sets Off Detector!
« on: February 10, 2007, 02:40:17 pm »
Well, I just got a Z (C3200) and am extremely happy with it. However, it has one very annoying quality. Every time (well, the vast vast majority of the time, anyway) I walk through the book detectors in a library that check for the tag in books it goes off. This happened very infrequently (ie once every 50 times or so) before I got my Z (I narrowed it down to either my phone, which can be on or off, or my Palm Tungsten T3, which was always off). But it happens about 90% of the time now, and so every time I want to leave the library I have to get someone from the staff to hand me my Zaurus after I walk through.

This may not be a huge problem to some people, but I'm a university student and I have to leave the library 2-4 times a day (which is VERY annoying when the alarm keeps going off). The Zaurus has been on suspend and fully turned off (ie "shutdown -h now" in pdaXrom) and it set off the alarm each time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do (other than build a Faraday cage - lol)?
Conics SL-C3200 running pdaXrom beta3 and XFCE with a Planex WiFi CF card.

Slackware rules!

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 03:29:58 pm »
yup!  I use to experience that problem with my other Zaurus.  I now have a c-3200 and have not experienced it yet.  I do worry because it is really embarrassing.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

T3_slider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 08:17:30 pm »
I now have a c-3200 and have not experienced it yet.
Strange -- I have a C3200 and it does set off the detector. I guess I got unlucky.
Conics SL-C3200 running pdaXrom beta3 and XFCE with a Planex WiFi CF card.

Slackware rules!

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:42:25 pm »
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do (other than build a Faraday cage - lol)?

Wouldn't any metallic casing constitute a Faraday cage?  For the record, this hasn't happened to me with my 3200 yet though.  Only had it about two weeks though.
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus

Snappy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:51:04 am »
I have a C1000 and so far have not had such incidents ... yet!

Maybe someone left a tag in your Z?
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>