Author Topic: Startup Screen, Start Up Sound For Pdaxrom?  (Read 3074 times)

tombraider

• View Profile
    • http://atoah.com/zaurus/
Startup Screen, Start Up Sound For Pdaxrom?
« on: February 14, 2007, 11:39:50 am »
Don't really like the crosshatch screen with the "x" in the middle.  Can it be replaced somewhere?  

Thanks.
Learning Chinese?  Have a Mac?  Try Hanzi Master: Download for free

Tombraider's Zaurus C1000 Tips Web Site

SL-3200 from Conics.net: Sharp ROM| SL-C1000: Pdaxrom Beta 3

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 04:54:09 pm »
Don't really like the crosshatch screen with the "x" in the middle.  Can it be replaced somewhere?   

Thanks.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
My guess is that the short answer is no, but I think it might be window manager specific. I've noticed it in other WM's. Just throwing that out there.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 04:55:28 pm »
Don't really like the crosshatch screen with the "x" in the middle.  Can it be replaced somewhere?   

Thanks.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Could you give a little more detail to your setup please?  (which version of pdaxrom you're using)

The title of this thread is

"Editing a post in Startup Screen, Start Up Sound For Pdaxrom?"

It sounds like you're talking about the standard beginnings of the X-window-system, which is difficult to change.  If you're talking about changing the startup screen to a different image, and changing the startup sound as well in pdaxii13, those can be done.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:58:07 pm by radiochickenwax »
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:00:05 pm »
that is the basic xfree gui, which will appear when no window manager is present. Your best bet is to look into the xfree documentation http://www.xfree86.org/

Short answer- not easily!

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:28:07 pm »
in pdaXii13, if you have feh installed and have an image located in /usr/share/pixmaps/Wallpapers/splash.png then it will be displayed during startup

also if you have mplayer (mplayer2) installed and there is a sound file located at /usr/share/sounds/welcome.wav then its played during startup

the default in pdaXii13 full is to display this splash image and play the sound on startup. pdaXii13 base does not have this by default since its it trimmed down...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:29:17 pm by Meanie »
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 06:37:07 pm »
in pdaXii13, if you have feh installed and have an image located in /usr/share/pixmaps/Wallpapers/splash.png then it will be displayed during startup

also if you have mplayer (mplayer2) installed and there is a sound file located at /usr/share/sounds/welcome.wav then its played during startup

the default in pdaXii13 full is to display this splash image and play the sound on startup. pdaXii13 base does not have this by default since its it trimmed down...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Hmmm...
I wondered why the Akita version didn't have the splash screen and startup sound like the spitz version did when I had it, (spitz) installed.

This didn't concern me at all, but thank you meanie for pointing this out.
I added this to my pdaxii13 notes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:37:41 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:49:26 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Hmmm...
I wondered why the Akita version didn't have the splash screen and startup sound like the spitz version did when I had it, (spitz) installed.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

of course if you install feh and mplayer2 and copy the required image and sound file to the correct location with the required name, then you will get the splash image and sound during startup... and in case you realy want it, i am attaching the image and the sound file....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:53:01 pm by Meanie »
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

tombraider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 07:04:38 pm »
Thanks for that info, Meanie.  That's a big help.

I flashed to pdaXii13 Sally but flashed back to Beta3 after I installed just one item and it trashed my desktop.  I had a virgin install of Sally and then installed the 2 Rox files from the feed; checked in installed files to see that they were installed then rebooted and had no desktop.  I checked in the /home/root/.xinitrc file before I rebooted because I was going to add the lines for Rox but saw there already WERE lines in there for Rox and so just rebooted.
The error message for Rox (it would not run at all) was that it could not find libgnomevfs-2.so (might be 50 - can't read my note).  At any rate I just could not face up to another hour search for a library file or trying to figure out how to link it WITHOUT a ROX file manager to use so I gave up and flashed back to Beta3.
My sd card is formatted FAT.  Is that my problem?  Do I need to format it ext2 or ext3 for the symlinks to work?

Hmmm...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

of course if you install feh and mplayer2 and copy the required image and sound file to the correct location with the required name, then you will get the splash image and sound during startup... and in case you realy want it, i am attaching the image and the sound file....
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:52 pm »
Thanks for that info, Meanie.  That's a big help.

I flashed to pdaXii13 Sally but flashed back to Beta3 after I installed just one item and it trashed my desktop.  I had a virgin install of Sally and then installed the 2 Rox files from the feed; checked in installed files to see that they were installed then rebooted and had no desktop.  I checked in the /home/root/.xinitrc file before I rebooted because I was going to add the lines for Rox but saw there already WERE lines in there for Rox and so just rebooted.
The error message for Rox (it would not run at all) was that it could not find libgnomevfs-2.so (might be 50 - can't read my note).  At any rate I just could not face up to another hour search for a library file or trying to figure out how to link it WITHOUT a ROX file manager to use so I gave up and flashed back to Beta3.
My sd card is formatted FAT.  Is that my problem?  Do I need to format it ext2 or ext3 for the symlinks to work?

Hmmm...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

symlinks need ext2/ext3, but usually, the links are softlinks created from your flash to your sd in which case fat is ok. however, if there are hardlinks required, then ext2/ext3 is a must. some libraries also do not like to be installed to sd.
in either way, after installing libraries, it is always a good idea to run ldconfig to reload and recache the libraries
you will find the same problems when installing rox under beta3. there are xtra libraries that need to be installed but are not listed in the rox depends list. this is true for a lot of packages in pdaXrom though.
as a tip, gnumeric requires the most gnome libs so usually once you got gnumeric and all its depends installed, most other apps will happily install and run since most of them have less depends than gnumeric...
just install all the libgnome... packages. you will need them eventually

tombraider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:57:46 pm »
Thanks for the tip about gnumeric.  I'll reflash to Sally after I become more familiar with what's going on.  :-)

Thanks for that info, Meanie.  That's a big help.

I flashed to pdaXii13 Sally but flashed back to Beta3 after I installed just one item and it trashed my desktop.  I had a virgin install of Sally and then installed the 2 Rox files from the feed; checked in installed files to see that they were installed then rebooted and had no desktop.  I checked in the /home/root/.xinitrc file before I rebooted because I was going to add the lines for Rox but saw there already WERE lines in there for Rox and so just rebooted.
The error message for Rox (it would not run at all) was that it could not find libgnomevfs-2.so (might be 50 - can't read my note).  At any rate I just could not face up to another hour search for a library file or trying to figure out how to link it WITHOUT a ROX file manager to use so I gave up and flashed back to Beta3.
My sd card is formatted FAT.  Is that my problem?  Do I need to format it ext2 or ext3 for the symlinks to work?

Hmmm...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

symlinks need ext2/ext3, but usually, the links are softlinks created from your flash to your sd in which case fat is ok. however, if there are hardlinks required, then ext2/ext3 is a must. some libraries also do not like to be installed to sd.
in either way, after installing libraries, it is always a good idea to run ldconfig to reload and recache the libraries
you will find the same problems when installing rox under beta3. there are xtra libraries that need to be installed but are not listed in the rox depends list. this is true for a lot of packages in pdaXrom though.
as a tip, gnumeric requires the most gnome libs so usually once you got gnumeric and all its depends installed, most other apps will happily install and run since most of them have less depends than gnumeric...
just install all the libgnome... packages. you will need them eventually
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]