Author Topic: General Status For The 6000  (Read 5010 times)

trichmon

• View Profile
General Status For The 6000
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:03:20 pm »
So i have been off my zaurus for about 8 months.  I ran off and had to use a treo 700w at work.  The treo is only about 60% functional though and now that im moving on to a new project I want to give my 6000 another try as mobile tool.  

Currently im running the sharp rom with a custom kernel and some thekompany apps.  But I have a very large desire to get back to pdaxrom, or maybe OZ.  I have been reading through months of posts and it seems that pdxrom is still kicking and moving forward on the clamshells but i dont see any new releases for the tosa.  Is that correct, or am I just missing something obvious?
SL-6000l running pdaXrom RC12 icewm + rox
Targus keyboard
Trendnet cf 10/100 ethernet
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card
SL-5500 running zynergy rom

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:25 pm »
So i have been off my zaurus for about 8 months.  I ran off and had to use a treo 700w at work.  The treo is only about 60% functional though and now that im moving on to a new project I want to give my 6000 another try as mobile tool. 

Currently im running the sharp rom with a custom kernel and some thekompany apps.  But I have a very large desire to get back to pdaxrom, or maybe OZ.  I have been reading through months of posts and it seems that pdxrom is still kicking and moving forward on the clamshells but i dont see any new releases for the tosa.  Is that correct, or am I just missing something obvious?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

AFAIK, this is correct.  As far as the clamshells go, beta3 is about the most stable right now, and in my experience, it's slightly more stable than beta1 on a 6000.  Beta3 runs the 2.4.20 kernel whereas beta1 runs  2.4.18.  Of course you're free to flash the kernel if you wanna spend the time.

It's a whole different set of bugs on the clamshells from the 6000.  OpenZaurus made some strides for the 6000, but... well, that's not pdaxrom.  Yet another new set of bugs over there.
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:29:30 pm »
So i have been off my zaurus for about 8 months.  I ran off and had to use a treo 700w at work.  The treo is only about 60% functional though and now that im moving on to a new project I want to give my 6000 another try as mobile tool. 

Currently im running the sharp rom with a custom kernel and some thekompany apps.  But I have a very large desire to get back to pdaxrom, or maybe OZ.  I have been reading through months of posts and it seems that pdxrom is still kicking and moving forward on the clamshells but i dont see any new releases for the tosa.  Is that correct, or am I just missing something obvious?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

AFAIK, this is correct.  As far as the clamshells go, beta3 is about the most stable right now, and in my experience, it's slightly more stable than beta1 on a 6000.  Beta3 runs the 2.4.20 kernel whereas beta1 runs  2.4.18.  Of course you're free to flash the kernel if you wanna spend the time.

It's a whole different set of bugs on the clamshells from the 6000.  OpenZaurus made some strides for the 6000, but... well, that's not pdaxrom.  Yet another new set of bugs over there.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

beta1 and beta3 are very similar and there really is no need to update to beta3 if beta1 is working fine for you.
the main difference between beta1 and beta3 is that utf8 support is more fully implemented in beta3 so you can use other languages other than english (mainly chinese, japanese, korean) across all applications in beta3 whereas in beta1 some worked and some didn't.
however, as a consequence of adding full utf8 support in beta3, beta3 is slightly slower than beta1. also, beta3 uses gcc 3.4.6 instead of 3.4.5 which beta1 is using which in a nutshell just means iconv support is compiled into glibc rather than a standalone package... no big deal in general since beta1 apps still work in beta3 and vice versa.
the kernel on the newer clamshells is 2.4.20 for both beta1 and beta3 so there is no change in that regard, but other models have 2.4.18 for beta1 and 2.4.20 for beta3
which isn't a big deal either unless you have devices that you want to connect tat arent working...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 07:31:00 pm by Meanie »
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 07:43:33 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

beta1 and beta3 are very similar and there really is no need to update to beta3 if beta1 is working fine for you.
the main difference between beta1 and beta3 is that utf8 support is more fully implemented in beta3 so you can use other languages other than english (mainly chinese, japanese, korean) across all applications in beta3 whereas in beta1 some worked and some didn't.
however, as a consequence of adding full utf8 support in beta3, beta3 is slightly slower than beta1. also, beta3 uses gcc 3.4.6 instead of 3.4.5 which beta1 is using which in a nutshell just means iconv support is compiled into glibc rather than a standalone package... no big deal in general since beta1 apps still work in beta3 and vice versa.
the kernel on the newer clamshells is 2.4.20 for both beta1 and beta3 so there is no change in that regard, but other models have 2.4.18 for beta1 and 2.4.20 for beta3
which isn't a big deal either unless you have devices that you want to connect tat arent working...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ah, that's helpful.  Didn't realize beta1 used 2.4.20  for the clamshells since there's no version for the 3200.   Also, the missing iconv support might be why I was failing at compiling blackbox,  

[a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21898&st=135]https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21898&st=135[/url]
(post #139)

(although you said it's just a package to add, and I did both this as well as recompiling iconv and pointing the configure scripts to this)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 07:45:17 pm by radiochickenwax »
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 07:55:16 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ah, that's helpful.  Didn't realize beta1 used 2.4.20  for the clamshells since there's no version for the 3200.   Also, the missing iconv support might be why I was failing at compiling blackbox,  

[a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21898&st=135]https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21898&st=135[/url]
(post #139)

(although you said it's just a package to add, and I did both this as well as recompiling iconv and pointing the configure scripts to this)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

its just a package to add if you want to run apps. for compiling, that's another story

you will need to manually add -liconv to each of the Makefiles that links libraries that require libiconv... my latest zggc image (not uploaded yet) does this automatically because i hacked libglib-2.0.la to include -liconv
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:59:27 pm »

Furthermore, just so you know, work is in progress towards newer editions towards 6000, but there's a lot of variables and it could be awhile before a rock-solid release is underway.

Pocketworkstation is always an option however, and it works quite well with pdaxrom.  Or if you're into BSD, that too might work with pdaxrom.

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 08:02:35 pm »
Does padxrom have a working calendar/alarm system?  When i left gpe-calendar was almost working.

Todd
Targus keyboard
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 08:02:46 pm »

(post #139)

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

its just a package to add if you want to run apps. for compiling, that's another story

you will need to manually add -liconv to each of the Makefiles that links libraries that require libiconv... my latest zggc image (not uploaded yet) does this automatically because i hacked libglib-2.0.la to include -liconv
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I did try compiling using your old zgcc image, (nice work on getting a new one by the way) and I also set -iconv as an environment variable, although I don't remember where.  (Gotta learn to take better notes)

It wasn't failing on missing iconv, it was just failing on an indirect reference to it I think.

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 03:48:53 pm »
As I flash back to pdaxrom, my memory fails me.  Can packages for beta 3 and beyond be installed on beta1?

Todd
Targus keyboard
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card

xjqian

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 07:25:12 pm »
As I flash back to pdaxrom, my memory fails me.  Can packages for beta 3 and beyond be installed on beta1?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

lots of them complain about missing libs. So basicly you are on your own in this matter.
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 04:50:23 am »
As I flash back to pdaxrom, my memory fails me.  Can packages for beta 3 and beyond be installed on beta1?

Todd
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

most packages from beta3 will work fine on beta1, however, with beta4 and r121 packages, some might work whereas others will give you symbol errors.

if you get dependency errors, it's because you are missing some package, so you just need to dig up the one it is complaining about and install it. sometimes more than one package is required so if it still complaints after you installed the required package, just keep on installing more dependant packages until it is satisfied...

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 12:23:15 am »
I guess what im really poking at is this.. Is it worth the effort to run pdaxrom on my 6000 or should I just sell it and buy a 3100?  I have been really happy with the 6000 as a piece of hardware but it seems to be getting slowly dropped by all the roms i really want to use.
Targus keyboard
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 01:50:14 am »
I guess what im really poking at is this.. Is it worth the effort to run pdaxrom on my 6000 or should I just sell it and buy a 3100?  I have been really happy with the 6000 as a piece of hardware but it seems to be getting slowly dropped by all the roms i really want to use.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Is there a way to build the soon-to-be-released version for the 6000? That would be the best solution, I think, if you can't build beta3.  can beta3 be built for the 6000 on th pdax build system?  (I never built anything with it)

OZ runs on the 6k and is getting due for a new release.  

Angstrom is surely coming soon as well.

At the moment mine is actually on sharprom--flashed to check the oe built feeds for sharprom

--get a 3100 if you want, I did. but don't think you need to be in such a hurry to lose the 6k

If I were planning an upgrade/new purchase in mobile devices (and I am, of course) I'd be eying something else entirely, like a neo or a nokia
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 02:11:20 am »
Thanks adf.  I would prefer to use a newer beta on my 6000 if its possible.  The uses I really have for the zaurus at this time are:

Mail reading (using ompi) but wanting to use something else.
web browsing, dillo, links, and firefox all work for me on the pdaxrom
minicom, to serial into hp switches at work (works but is a bit of trial, and it crashes on the older hp 4000 and cisco 5300's)
irc (works fine in any rom i try)
project management ( planner works ok in pdaxrom)
password management (safedee works great in sharp rom, the portabase is fine in others)
notes, and documentation writing.  Abiword is slow but, most roms have some decent light editors.
perl coding when i have time
command line work (ssh mostly)
audio playback (mp3,m4a from itunes), mplayer has worked for this in the past and i have the thekkompany audio player for the sharp rom.

video playback, would be very nice but it has been about as much fun as rubbing my face with a flaming cheese grater.  No matter the rom, Im just to dense to get mplayer to playback real welll.

vpn into my office.  We maintain a cisco vpn at the office.  I had some success with vpnc that i put together from posts around the forum but it was unreliable.  

Voice recording would also be nice, and its one of the reasons I got the 6000.  dictating to the 6000 with the sharp rom is not spectacular but it is sorta functional.  But I can always do it on my phone if I have to.  I wish I could do this in pdaxrom if possible.

games are not a huge concern.  I wish I had time in my day to say it was  maybe later.

Two of the main gripes i had with pdaxrom (and OZ) were syncing with outlook and working alarms.  But both of those issues are solved with my work mandated treo 700w and over priced verizon wireless plan.  

If i had to pick to things I would want to fix the most while using pdaxrom it would have to be the minicom issues and the vpn.  If i could do those things along with the stuff that allready works I would be able to leave my laptop in its bag or at my desk a whole lot more, which is what the 6000 was purchased for.    Beyond that working video would make my daughter happy

Todd
Targus keyboard
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card